[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which Was The Better Catch?

Easy n Dirty

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the better catch?

• Holmes
    • Tyree

i think holmes' catch was more important, since it won the super bowl.. but tyree's was more exciting because.. well.. you will never see that again, especially with manning breaking out of a group of defenders. i celebrated like hell after both of them. but definitely more so for holmes. :wacko:

While Holmes' catch was remarkable, it falls short of great because I've seen that catch (or something almost exactly like it) quite a few times in the NFL. I easilly rank the Swann and Tyree catches above it, since I am talking strictly out of game context and just looking at the catch itself. Now, if you want to consider how important the catch was in the equation, then it is much more debatable.

I went with Tyree's catch for the same reason cited by many others here - it was a more difficult catch I think. If you put 100 NFL receivers in Holmes' shoes on that last play, I think alot of them, maybe as many as half, come up with that catch and get their feet down, whereas I think the number for Tyree's catch would likely be less than 10% (I guess some of the bigger guys like R Moss, Burress, Gates, etc. maybe come up with the Tyree ctach clean because Harrison can't get high enough to knock the ball free in the first place, but those same guys would also have an easier time with the Holmes catch).

I think if you factor in which catch was "more important", then maybe there is a debate to be had - but I could easily argue that Tyree's catch was more important as well. If Tyree doesn't come up with that ball, the Giants are looking at 4th-and-5 on their own 45, down by 4 with less than a minute to play. Arguably dead to rights, or damn close to it. If Holmes doesn't make his catch, the Steelers are looking at 3rd-and-goal from the five, and with a worst case scenario of a field goal and overtime. So even if Holmes doesn't make the catch, the Steelers are still better than 50% to win the game I'd say.

Both great catches and both tremendously important, but Tyree's catch to me far outshines Holmes' grab.

me thinks Tyree's catch was slightly better

Uh oh................................

Do you really not realize that this still shot is after his foot lifted from the ground. They showed the replay tons of times on TV, and he clearly had them both down. Nice try though.

While Holmes' catch was remarkable, it falls short of great because I've seen that catch (or something almost exactly like it) quite a few times in the NFL. I easilly rank the Swann and Tyree catches above it, since I am talking strictly out of game context and just looking at the catch itself. Now, if you want to consider how important the catch was in the equation, then it is much more debatable.

I went with Tyree's catch for the same reason cited by many others here - it was a more difficult catch I think. If you put 100 NFL receivers in Holmes' shoes on that last play, I think alot of them, maybe as many as half, come up with that catch and get their feet down, whereas I think the number for Tyree's catch would likely be less than 10% (I guess some of the bigger guys like R Moss, Burress, Gates, etc. maybe come up with the Tyree ctach clean because Harrison can't get high enough to knock the ball free in the first place, but those same guys would also have an easier time with the Holmes catch).

I think if you factor in which catch was "more important", then maybe there is a debate to be had - but I could easily argue that Tyree's catch was more important as well. If Tyree doesn't come up with that ball, the Giants are looking at 4th-and-5 on their own 45, down by 4 with less than a minute to play. Arguably dead to rights, or damn close to it. If Holmes doesn't make his catch, the Steelers are looking at 3rd-and-goal from the five, and with a worst case scenario of a field goal and overtime. So even if Holmes doesn't make the catch, the Steelers are still better than 50% to win the game I'd say.

Both great catches and both tremendously important, but Tyree's catch to me far outshines Holmes' grab.

Agree with both. Tyree's catch was better and it's not close. Harrison is all over Tyree and quite honestly it should've been dropped or the ball should've hit the ground with the force that Tyree hit the ground but he held on. Holmes made a nice catch in the back of the endzone in which he got both hands on the ball and his feet were already practically down. Also no one was even contacting him. Much simpler catch if you ask me.

As a sidenote, one of the most impressive catches I've ever seen was by Oronde Gadsden years ago where it looked as though the ball was thrown way beyond him and he some how makes a tremendous one-handed grab that made my jaw drop. I think that catch was better than Holmes'. Tried to find Gadsden's catch on Youtube but couldn't.

Edited by irish