[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gonzo still wants to be traded

CaP'N GRuNGe

GONZALEZ STILL SEEKING TRADE

Posted by Sheil Kapadia on February 4, 2009, 9:07 a.m.

The Chiefs have brought in a new GM and are currently searching for a new coach.

But those moves apparently haven’t changed Tony Gonzalez’s feelings from last season, and the tight end still wants to be traded, per Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports.

“I love Kansas City. I really do. If I could stay there, I would. That’s why this is going to be a tough decision,” Gonzalez said. “We’ve been rebuilding. It hasn’t really seemed to go well. We won four [in 2007] and two this year. It’s getting tough. … I don’t want to make it seem to the fans in Kansas City and to my teammates that I’m abandoning them. I hope, I think, they’ll understand.”

Cole’s report also shed some light on the Chiefs’ coaching search.

According to the article, Kansas City is expected to interview Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz, Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Chiefs offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, in addition to Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Gonzalez said Kansas City’s decision on a coach — which he expects to come by Thursday — will have an impact on whether he wants to stay or go.

“I want to see who they name as head coach,” Gonzalez said. “Yeah, I hear they’re talking to Todd Haley, but then there’s this coach [Ferentz] from Iowa State, some [expletive] like that and I don’t want to deal with that. It seems like we’re rebuilding anyway, and I don’t want to do that. I don’t know that I want to do that any more than I already have been.”

Gonzalez also pointed to the team’s decision to deal Jared Allen last season.

“We traded away our best defensive player [Allen], by far. A game changer and you trade him away,” Gonzalez said. “That’s just too much, and that’s sending a message to the guys on the team.”

I really like Gonzo, he's a real class act. And he's right, getting rid of Allen was one of the biggest bonehead moves CP could have made. But I dont think trading him is in the best interest of the team. We need what little veteran experience we have left after Herm and CP dismantled the team to help our rookies along.

Lets not feel too sorry for Gonzo, he's made millions of dollars and gained the respect of the entire NFL community. What about Sanders, Fouts, Moon, Sayers, Dickerson, Carter, Winslow and all the others that never made it to the big game, but still considered to be the greatest. What about LT should he go someplace that he is a shoe in?

Vet experience and leadership for KC means that Gonz sacrafices any chance at a Ring in his playing career.

I don't blame him and I think KC should trade him. I also think DEN should trade Champ Bailey to a contender.

Are you saying Denver isn't a contender? Are they re-building?

+1

and to think they could have had him this past season for a 3rd-round pick. He would have been a key weapon during the playoff run.

Let LJ walk, give KC a 3rd-round pick (since we are loaded with picks this coming draft), and give the offense a real weapon.

I see Eagles trying to move a 4th for Gonzales...and a player....

I dont see that happening. Gonzo can want to be traded but I think that he still has 3 years left on his contract, if another team wants him I bet they will have to pay dearly.

2-3 years, can't remember which, but I agree with the rest. I'd find it hard to believe he can be had for a 3rd let alone a 4th. It's going to take a pretty good offer to trade our best player, a veteran presence with a unquestionable work ethic and a future HOF'er. Allen may have been let go cheap, but that's because Carl is a retard...something Pioli is not until proven otherwise.

I really like Gonzo, he's a real class act.

Yeah this "trade me to a winner!" stuff is real classy. :wacko:

Freakin prima donnas. If you didn't want to play there, you shouldn't have signed the contract.

Maybe he should pull a Favre and "retire" then "un-retire" later. Or waffle so much it drives KC batty so they move him.

Yeah this "trade me to a winner!" stuff is real classy. :wacko:

Freakin prima donnas. If you didn't want to play there, you shouldn't have signed the contract.

Maybe he should pull a Favre and "retire" then "un-retire" later. Or waffle so much it drives KC batty so they move him.

You have got to be kidding, so the greatest tight end in the history of the NFL wants a super bowl. You have guys like Chad Johnson, Pacman Jones, Travis Henry, Chris Henry and on and on being the worst possible examples of life. And then you have Gonzo who has worked hard, kept his nose clean and not to mention save a guys life and ended up being the best.

Its not wrong for Gonzo to want his cake and eat it too.

But would be wrong for the Chiefs organization to let him go. IMHO

Edited by fingfootball

I'm not sure that's really fair.

If you join a company who says they want to succeed and then, for whatever reason, can't, despite all that you do for the company, well, they didn't hold up their end of the deal.

It's no different than any of us wanting to find a new job.

Basically, they made promises they couldn't keep. I doubt the NFL would appreciate a player suing for breach of contract.

Not only that but he was also told things by Carl before signing the contract that ended up wrong. He told Tony we wouldn't be rebuilding.

Gonzalez: I'm willing to stick with Chiefs

"I want to make sure people know I have not asked for a trade," Gonzalez said Wednesday morning before the AFC's Pro Bowl practice. "I haven't even talked to (new Chiefs general manager Scott) Pioli yet. I said there are reasons I would ask for a trade, but depending on the coach they bring in and the free-agent acquisitions, I could easily be a Chief next year, too. In fact, that's the direction I want to go."

Lito has 5 years left in him...I'm not sure Eagles would do that unless the Eagles threw in something else in the deal and got back an additional pick...

Good luck with that, especially since that's the one bright spot the Chiefs have on Defense.

KC:

Great TE

1Good WR and a couple guys with potential

Good DB

Adequate LB Our LB's are terrible and the worst position we have on the team

Adequate RB

Unknown QB agreed, and that's not good

Bad OL

Bad DL