[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dan Reeves Leaves Cowboys After 1 Day

BiggieFries

Reeves is out of touch....he can barley spit the words out on 1 play 3 plays later on the radio :wacko:

I may be in the minority, but I think this is actually a pretty big deal. One of the best football minds of this era, and one of the best football people period of this era. Things must be awfully rotten. I think some of Reeves' quiet confidence would have done absolute wonders for this particular group of players and coaches. Either way, I'm still eating my popcorn. Just quality, quality entertainment all around. Kudos to Reeves though for not taking this garbage. He has done too much good work in this league to become a puppet.

Edited by Seahawks21

I may be in the minority, but I think this is actually a pretty big deal. One of the best football minds of this era, and one of the best football people period of this era. Things must be awfully rotten. I think some of Reeves' quiet confidence would have done absolute wonders for this particular group of players and coaches. Either way, I'm still eating my popcorn. Just quality, quality entertainment all around. Kudos to Reeves though for not taking this garbage. He has done too much good work in this league to become a puppet.

I tend to agree with this assessment. Reeves still has a great offensive mind. He took a team with a washed-up Chris Chandler and Tony Martin, and an OK Terrance Mathis to the superbowl, with a running back that hasn't been heard from since. He took a B-B+ team that far several times when you see what he did in Denver, and did pretty well with a middling NYG team.

When he gives the finger to the organization he "grew up in" you know there's issues.

Reeve's was absolutely one of the best football minds of his era. Took the Falcons to the Super Bowl 11 YEARS AGO. I wonder though, if he's still the coach everyone here thinks he still is, why has he been out of the league for the last 6 years? :wacko:

spell edit

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Just how many damm coach layers do you need

Let's see there's Garrett, he is the pretend Head coach looking over Phillips shoulder

Then we have Phillips the Head Coach, I think....

Now Reeves, who's kinda going to be a special advisor head coach

and finally you have Jones, who will ignore all 3 because his ego won't let him realize he's not the Owner, GM, HC, OC, DC, LC STC, etc....

This team is a joke..... Reality shows, crazy owners, coaches that have no authority, whatever..... Maybe I'll switch to Oakland, they look a little more stable

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy

Reeves is out of touch....he can barley spit the words out on 1 play 3 plays later on the radio :D

:D

So because you think he's not good on the radio, he's no longer a viable football consultant or coach? :D

I've heard his color commentary and it's pretty good. But I guess in this "look at me" day, you gotta have someone "colorful" like that idiot Chris Berman making comments. :wacko: Reeves calculates what he's going to say and puts real analysis into it. But yeah, guess some of us like the BOO-YA! :D

Reeves is old-school and knows football better than just about anyone. No surprise that Mr. Plastic Face turned him off. Reeves is more of the Tom Landry school and Jerry Jones has been doing everything in his power to rid the team of that aura. Jones wants HIS legacy to be the lasting impression. Whether or not it's a bad or good impression, he seems to not care.

Another fantastic snafu by America's Team®. :D

Edited by darin3

Again, and I'm just askin', if he "knows football better than just about anyone" why's he been out of the league for so long? :wacko:

Why was Bill Parcells out of football 1991-1992, 2000-2002 and 2007?

Maybe he thought he didn't have the drive to do the day-to-day stuff anymore? Maybe he had family issues to tend to? There's a ton of possibilities, including the old standby "didn't get into the right situation".

Doesn't strike me as any big deal. But if Reeves is such a genius, why turn down the San Fran OC job for this one without squaring away whatever his issue was 1st?

Because the SF OC job sucks. :wacko:

But yes I agree... despite what I've said here it's not a huge deal. The Cowboys will probably get their act together sooner or later. Reeves should sign on somewhere. I thought I heard on the radio that he was a consultant to the Texans when they got up and running. Don't see that listed anywhere online but I'm sure Texan fans would love him as a special consultant of some sort.

Because the SF OC job sucks. :wacko:

But yes I agree... despite what I've said here it's not a huge deal. The Cowboys will probably get their act together sooner or later. Reeves should sign on somewhere. I thought I heard on the radio that he was a consultant to the Texans when they got up and running. Don't see that listed anywhere online but I'm sure Texan fans would love him as a special consultant of some sort.

It just seemed like things would be a bigger mess with him here than without him. I have no problem with Reeves, I just don't think him not sticking around will make things any worse. poopy, the way things sound at Valley Ranch, that might not be possible anyways. :D

:D

So because you think he's not good on the radio, he's no longer a viable football consultant or coach? :D

I've heard his color commentary and it's pretty good. But I guess in this "look at me" day, you gotta have someone "colorful" like that idiot Chris Berman making comments. :wacko: Reeves calculates what he's going to say and puts real analysis into it. But yeah, guess some of us like the BOO-YA! :D

Reeves is old-school and knows football better than just about anyone. No surprise that Mr. Plastic Face turned him off. Reeves is more of the Tom Landry school and Jerry Jones has been doing everything in his power to rid the team of that aura. Jones wants HIS legacy to be the lasting impression. Whether or not it's a bad or good impression, he seems to not care.

Another fantastic snafu by America's Team®. :D

I just think he's to old and comfortable to fire up & run a team......especially the knotheads in Dallas....he's not bad on the radio but ya he talks so f'n slow it drives me nuts :D

It just seemed like things would be a bigger mess with him here than without him. I have no problem with Reeves, I just don't think him not sticking around will make things any worse. poopy, the way things sound at Valley Ranch, that might not be possible anyways. :wacko:

You're probably right. As a Reeves fan it's just easy to point this out as another foible of the Cowboys.

Has anyone discussed what happened with Terry Glenn yet today? Maybe I should do a quick search. :D

Surprise, surprise.....

Reeves Take on TO in Dallas

Dan Reeves: Terrell Owens is dividing Cowboys' front office

Dan Reeves didn't stay long enough with the Cowboys to sign a contract and join the staff. But he was there long enough to learn that Jerry Jones and his staff are deeply divided about Terrell Owens' role with the team.

Here's a sampling of Reeves' comments to Texas radio stations, assembled by the Dallas Morning News' Cowboys blog:

-- "I can say there are definitely some mixed feelings about T.O. Most everybody you talk to has a different opinion of him. They definitely have a decision to make as far as to what they will do about T.O., and I really don't know what that will be." -- To KTTB-AM

-- "I think the more distractions that you can eliminate and get the team focused on the team and not themselves, then you've got a better chance." -- To 1310 the Ticket

-- "I did find out while I was down there that there are a lot of mixed feelings about T.O. within the organization. They've got to sit down and make a decision." To 103.3 FM

Reeves' comments echo the buzz around the team lately that the Cowboys are considering cutting Owens. The team hasn't commented on its plans for Owens yet.

Reeves joined the Cowboys earlier this week and seemed poised to sign a contract as a special adviser. But he hit a snag in the negotiations with Jones that he termed a deal-breaker.

"I was going to answer to the general manager and the head coach," Reeves told Sirius satellite radio. "I was going to do anything that they wanted me to do and those things had been gone over with and so forth. It's just something, like I said, in 29 years that I'd been in coaching I never had any language like that in my contract. And that didn't come up until the last minute."

Jones told 103.3 FM in Dallas that the problem point in the negotiations was a "time element."

Posted by Sean Leahy at 12:46 AM/ET, February 05, 2009 | Permalink | Comments 16 | Recommend 1

I had no interest in Reeves anyway. No Big deal IMO

You need to look past if Reeves was the man for the job or not. I think the bigger thing is that Jones and/or the organization DID think he was the man for the job and then the organization screwed it up somehow.

This team/organization is a joke.

Dan Reeves said he objected to having a clause put in his contract about the amount of hours he was to work at Valley Ranch.

Thus, his employment with the Cowboys was short-lived.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones and Reeves agreed in principle to a multi-year deal that was supposed to start Monday, but the former Cowboys assistant coach and player did not know about the clause.

"Oh, definitely, big-time," Reeves said when asked if he was surprised by the clause. "For someone to question how I've done [my time] for a lot of years, I've never been questioned. Plus, as a coach, how can you verify that? Nobody punches a clock."

:wacko: