[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a good chili recipe

tonyr0802

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been a few threads on this in the last 12-18 months, and I saw Big John's name in the thread just a minute ago so he is probably pulling those up. You looking for spicy, not spicy.. meaty, not meaty?

That is a tall order, as there are several threads, such as this or this. Also depends in what type you are looking for.

Just don't look for the H8tank special recipe. :wacko:

Edited by Big John

Been a few threads on this in the last 12-18 months, and I saw Big John's name in the thread just a minute ago so he is probably pulling those up. You looking for spicy, not spicy.. meaty, not meaty?

My personal preference is something with some kick to it. I can do with or without the meat.

My personal preference is something with some kick to it. I can do with or without the meat.

First of all, chili without meat isn't chili, it's bean soup. Second, try my chili recipe in that second thread if you want something with a kick. It's a good traditional Texas chili. Add what you want to it if you like more than just meat. Chili is supposed to be fun, experiment.

First of all, chili without meat isn't chili, it's bean soup. Second, try my chili recipe in that second thread if you want something with a kick. It's a good traditional Texas chili. Add what you want to it if you like more than just meat. Chili is supposed to be fun, experiment.

Read that recipe last night and though it sounded good, thinking I'll give it a go.

I can't believe ya'll have chili recipes. Chili is a creation with what is on hand. Having said that I've noticed some of ya'll put some really strange chit in your chili. Aside from spices chili has 5 major ingredients: meat, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and beans (some will argue that beans belong). My favorite meat to use is ground venison, though I've been known to use ground beef and sirloin.

I've made a variation of this a few times and everyone's raved about it.

Changes:

no beer - use beef stock instead

I used sweet sausage

I subbed chipotle chili pepper for half the regular chili pepper

I added a pinch of cinnamon and a few chocolate chips

I like to simmer my chili a long time, refrigerate it and then reheat before serving - usually the next day. If you do this, add the beans (if you put them in) the day you're going to serve it or they get mushy.

I can't believe ya'll have chili recipes. Chili is a creation with what is on hand. Having said that I've noticed some of ya'll put some really strange chit in your chili. Aside from spices chili has 5 major ingredients: meat, onions, peppers, tomatoes, and beans (some will argue that beans belong). My favorite meat to use is ground venison, though I've been known to use ground beef and sirloin.

Don't forget bitter chocloate!

I keep the chocolate for my mole, a chocolate and cinnamon flavored pepper sauce. I serve this over turkey or chicken. It also makes a wonderful change as a sauce for enchiladas.

• 2 weeks later...

Made this recipe today, I'd say it gets a :wacko::D

Very good flavoring with spice that's enough to let you know it's there but doesn't prevent you from enjoying it before you finish a bowl of it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Made this recipe today, I'd say it gets a :wacko::D

Very good flavoring with spice that's enough to let you know it's there but doesn't prevent you from enjoying it before you finish a bowl of it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I won 3rd place in a chili cook off on Saturday, my brother-in-law won 1st place. I hate to admit it, but his was really better than mine that night. I tried to get to fancy with it. Still 3rd out of 30 isn't bad.

:wacko:

Care to post the winning recipe? (I mean yours :D )

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

93/7 ground beef

tri-tip

two different types of chipotle (I don't remember which)

fresh jalapenos

onions

tomatoes

pintos

fresh garlic

Tony Chahere's

Chipotle Tabasco (I love this stuff)

Cumin

Cinnamon

Chocolate (I put too much in I'm convinced it is why I was only 3rd, first time I've ever put it in my chili)

cilantro

molasses

brown sugar

McCormick's Smoked Chipotle Pepper (I really like this stuff too)

I know I used about 4 lbs of tri tip and 4 lbs of ground beef, and two cans of pintos. I haven't got a clue as to how much of the other stuff you I put in. It is stuff I have around all the time. I just keep adding until it tastes right. I never use a recipe on anything, I just taste until it is right. Unfortunately I put too much chocolate in, and didn't have enough beef to add to it to dilute it. I'll probably use it again, but use about 1/2 of what I did.

93/7 ground beef

tri-tip

two different types of chipotle (I don't remember which)

fresh jalapenos

onions

tomatoes

pintos

fresh garlic

Tony Chahere's

Chipotle Tabasco (I love this stuff)

Cumin

Cinnamon

Chocolate (I put too much in I'm convinced it is why I was only 3rd, first time I've ever put it in my chili)

cilantro

molasses

brown sugar

McCormick's Smoked Chipotle Pepper (I really like this stuff too)

I know I used about 4 lbs of tri tip and 4 lbs of ground beef, and two cans of pintos. I haven't got a clue as to how much of the other stuff you I put in. It is stuff I have around all the time. I just keep adding until it tastes right. I never use a recipe on anything, I just taste until it is right. Unfortunately I put too much chocolate in, and didn't have enough beef to add to it to dilute it. I'll probably use it again, but use about 1/2 of what I did.

I never use a recipe either - sometimes I really regret it when I nail something well. :wacko:

I'll have to give this combo of ingredients a shot. Gracias.