[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for a good chili recipe

tonyr0802

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never use a recipe either - sometimes I really regret it when I nail something well. :wacko:

I'll have to give this combo of ingredients a shot. Gracias.

We went the to the chili cook off, and I'm over in the corner talking to a guy about a car. The wife comes up, asking if I want a bowl of chili. I say I'm full, I've eaten chili all day.

First of all, chili without meat isn't chili, it's bean soup. Second, try my chili recipe in that second thread if you want something with a kick. It's a good traditional Texas chili. Add what you want to it if you like more than just meat. Chili is supposed to be fun, experiment.

Had our cook off today, took 1st place! :D

Gained me some bragging rights around the office (cook off was at work to raise money). Thanks for the recipe, it's a winner fo' sho' :wacko:

Had our cook off today, took 1st place! :D

Gained me some bragging rights around the office (cook off was at work to raise money). Thanks for the recipe, it's a winner fo' sho' :wacko:

Congrats! :D

• 6 months later...
First of all, chili without meat isn't chili, it's bean soup. Second, try my chili recipe in that second thread if you want something with a kick. It's a good traditional Texas chili. Add what you want to it if you like more than just meat. Chili is supposed to be fun, experiment.

I might give this one a try or combine it with my recipe. I LOVE my chili and anyone who's tried it feels the same. However, I feel like it's missing an ingredient or two. I will post the recipe later tonight and see if anyone can offer some suggestions.

I was thinking of using brisket in my chili. Something like a 1 to 1 ratio of ground beef and chopped beef brisket. Has anyone tried this?

No, but that doesn't mean it won't work. It might make for an interesting new texture/flavor combo, especially since the brisket is smoked.

Making my famous chili right now. I took the 'heat' portion from Kid Cid's recipe since I couldn't find the chili peppers I usually use. I also added Worcheshire sauce which may be the missing ingredient. Anything I added from Kid Cid's that wasn't already in mine is highlighted in maroon.

Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil

1 yellow onion

6 cloves garlic

2-3 lbs ground beef/sirloin (preference)

2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes

1 bottle guiness stout (or any dark beer)

1 cup very strong brewed coffee (you actually brew a cup of coffe)

1 (12oz) can tomato paste

1 small bottle spicy V-8 (Kid Cid's addition)

1 (14oz) can beef broth

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

5 tbs of chili powder

1 tbs cumin seeds

1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tbs dried oregano

1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp sea salt

6 hot chili peppers (chopped) - today I did not use these and instead will substitute the following

2 tbs tobasco sauce (Kid Cid's addition)

1 tsp jalepeno powder (Kid Cid's addition)

1 tsp mexican hot chili powder (Kid Cid's addition, couldn't find new mexico)

1. Heat oil over medium. Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown

2. Mix in tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Mix in all other ingredients except the last 'heat' portion (in maroon). Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hour.

3. Add in the 'heat' element and simmer for another 1/2 hour or so.

This chili is really fantastic - it's got the perfect balance of sweet, heat and flavor. Today, I have added the worcheshire, V-8 and different heat elements and excited for the new taste. Will report back after dinner!

Edited by Brentastic

Making my famous chili right now. I took the 'heat' portion from Kid Cid's recipe since I couldn't find the chili peppers I usually use. I also added Worcheshire sauce which may be the missing ingredient. Anything I added from Kid Cid's that wasn't already in mine is highlighted in maroon.

Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil

1 yellow onion

6 cloves garlic

1 (14oz) can beef broth

5 tbs of chili powder

1 tbs cumin seeds

1 tbs dried oregano

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp sea salt

6 hot chili peppers (chopped) - today I did not use these and instead will substitute the following

2. Mix in tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Mix in all other ingredients except the last 'heat' portion (in maroon). Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hour.

This chili is really fantastic - it's got the perfect balance of sweet, heat and flavor. Today, I have added the worcheshire, V-8 and different heat elements and excited for the new taste. Will report back after dinner!

I love the addition of the stout and the coffee. I can't wait to try this the next time I do a batch. Good stuff!

I love the addition of the stout and the coffee. I can't wait to try this the next time I do a batch. Good stuff!

This was probably the best version yet. The onion, worcheshire and your elements were all new, I think it was a bit more balanced than usual - plus I got Guiness extra stout this time.

Looking forward to you trying this and getting your feedback.

I also topped with Fritos which I think I saw by another post - I read it somewhere, nice little crunchy addition (added a few before each bite).

• 3 weeks later...

Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil

1 yellow onion

6 cloves garlic

1 (14oz) can beef broth

5 tbs of chili powder

1 tbs cumin seeds

1 tbs dried oregano

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp sea salt

brent i made this last night and it was awesome. i changed things a little but only by adding a few more peppers and added bell peppers to the list. WOW is all i can say. never would have thought of adding the coffee, or the spicy V8. thanks kid and brent for my new chili . :wacko::D

Can't beat a classic--Chili Con Carne with Cornbread. Not classicaly prepared but it comes damn close...

Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes

2 teaspoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce

4 slices bacon , chopped fine

1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) boneless beef chuck-eye roast , trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces

Salt and pepper

1 onion , chopped fine

1 jalapeño chile , seeded and chopped fine (more if you like it hot)

3 tablespoons chili powder

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

4 garlic cloves , minced

4 cups water (substitute some water for a good beer)

1 tablespoon brown sugar

2 tablespoons yellow corn muffin mix

1 bar semi-sweet chocolate

Instructions

1. Process tomatoes and chipotle in food processor/blender until smooth. Cook bacon in Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate and reserve 3 tablespoons bacon fat.

2. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat in empty Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of beef, about 8 minutes. Transfer to bowl and repeat with additional tablespoon bacon fat and remaining beef.

3. Add remaining bacon fat, onion, and jalapeño to empty Dutch oven and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water, pureed tomato mixture, bacon, browned beef, and sugar and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Skim fat and continue to simmer uncovered until meat is tender, 30 to 45 minutes.

4. Ladle 1 cup chili liquid into medium bowl and stir in muffin mix; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave until mixture is thickened, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk mixture into chili and simmer until chili is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chocolate. Serve. (Chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

Cornbread

1 cup white cornmeal

2 cups yellow cornmeal

1 tbls. baking powder

1/2 teas. salt

6 eggs

1 14oz. can creamed corn

1 cup buttermilk

1/4 lb. butter (2 tbls. to oil the skillet, the rest goes in the batter)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. Mix white cornmeal, yellow cornmeal, baking powder, and salt (if you like sweet cornbread, add 1/4 cup to dry mix).

3. In separate bowl with wooden spoon, mix creamed corn, buttermilk, eggs, and 6 tbls. of melted butter together until smooth.

4. Stir in cornmeal dry mixture.

5. After melting 2 tbls. of butter in cast iron skillet, skillet should be hot. Pour in batter and bake for 18-20 minutes. The center should be firm.

*If no skillet, use an 8x8x1 baking dish. Just spray with non-stick spray. Preheat in the oven for a few minutes. Add the butter. Cook as above.

Edited by kingfish247

My best chili yet.

4lbs of trimmed brisket

4lbs of ground beef

1/2 Lb of dried pinto beans

1/2 Lb of dried kidney beans

8 tomatoes

3 white onions

5 Anaheim peppers

5 Jalapenos

20 dried Guajillo Chile

2 bulbs of garlic

Chili Powder

Garlic Powder

Brown Sugar

Tony Chachere's

Olive Oil

1 Can of Dr Pepper

1 bunch of cilantro

worcestershire sauce

Cumin

Step 1 - Make rub for brisket - 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup chili powder, 1/4 cup garlic powder, 2 TBS of Tony Chachere's, 1 TBS of cumin, 1/4 cup of worchestershire sauce. Mix it into a paste and coat trimmed brisket. I put the brisket in a rack above a roast pan, I will put 6 cups of water in the bowl I used to mix the rub, getting all the excess spices that are stuck to the bowl to go into the water, and I'll put the water in the pan under the brisket which thanks to the rack stays out of the seasoned water. Smoke for 8 hours at 220 degrees. Chop smoked brisket into 1/2" cubes or there about and put in large baggie along with the juices from the pan, and let sit over night in the fridge. Also put the Anaheim and jalapeno grill ans smoke them as well.

Step 2 - Make the beans - I buy 1 lb of dried pintos and 1 lb of dried kidney beans. I only use 1/2 in the chili but go ahead and cook them all. Soak them over night then put beans in big pot, cover with 12 cups of water, put in one chopped onion, and two diced tomatoes in pot as well, along with 1/2 a bulb of garlic, 1 TBS of cumin, 1 TBS of Tony Chachere's. Also add in 2 of the smoked jalapenos and 2 of the smoked Anaheim peppers (slice peppers put seeds in as well), and four strips of bacon, and about 1/4 bunch of cilantro. Put in 1/4 cup of brown sugar. Simmer for 2 hours.

Step 3 - Make chili paste. Boil 20 dried Guajillo chilis for about 5 minutes then using a spoon, grind into a wire strainer so that the paste.

Step 4 Chop two remaining onions and 1-1/2 pods of pressed garlic until onions are semi translucent in olive oil. Once onions are semi translucent start browning ground beef, add it chili paste and 1/2 of beans as well as about 4 cups of the juice from the bean pot. Slice up the remaining smoked peppers and put into the pot. Peel and crush t he remaining tomatoes. Pour 1 can of Dr. Pepper into pot, as, put the brisket and the juices from the brisket into the pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Tony Chacheres to taste.

The recipe is a pain in the ass but it is some really good chili.

brent i made this last night and it was awesome. i changed things a little but only by adding a few more peppers and added bell peppers to the list. WOW is all i can say. never would have thought of adding the coffee, or the spicy V8. thanks kid and brent for my new chili . :wacko::D

Just reading this now. Glad you liked it!!

• 2 months later...

Took me a while to get around to it Brent but I made a stab at something like your chili. I skipped the coffee and chocolate. The Guiness is a wonderful addition, adding a subtle sweetness and just a bit of tang to the proceedings. I would have used to coffee but Ms Cid doesn't do any caffeine and I do prefer to keep my chocolate in my mole. That being said, I think it is a really wonderful addition and a nice bit of "out of the box" thinking. :wacko:

Took me a while to get around to it Brent but I made a stab at something like your chili. I skipped the coffee and chocolate. The Guiness is a wonderful addition, adding a subtle sweetness and just a bit of tang to the proceedings. I would have used to coffee but Ms Cid doesn't do any caffeine and I do prefer to keep my chocolate in my mole. That being said, I think it is a really wonderful addition and a nice bit of "out of the box" thinking. :wacko:

Good to hear but you should have tried the coffee and cocoa. Did you add the brown sugar?

Good to hear but you should have tried the coffee and cocoa. Did you add the brown sugar?

Yes. I had used a little before but upped it to the 1/4 cup you use. Again, it smooths out the whole process rather than just sweetens.

I've made a variation of this a few times and everyone's raved about it.

Changes:

no beer

:wacko:

I can honestly say I've never put chocolate in chili.

I have and didn't notice it did much of anything frankly. Maybe I did it wrong but seemed like hype to me frankly.

Anyway to me chili is like BBQ: I've rarely tasted a bad one, mostly good and better. They're just hard to f- up. I do tend to like a little kick but it's hardly an indicator of how good a chili is. Same with beef vs turkey. In fact I prefer turkey because it's not as greasy or heavy, meaning I can eat more. :D

Edited by BeeR

Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable oil

1 yellow onion

6 cloves garlic

1 (14oz) can beef broth

5 tbs of chili powder

1 tbs cumin seeds

1 tbs dried oregano

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp sea salt

Made this today during Indy/Jet game. Gotta say, pretty dang good! Couldn't find the spicy V8 though and left it out. Also couldn't find jalepeno poder, but found and used jalepeno flakes. Tasted great. But have a question...When simmering, do you do this covered or uncovered? I did it covered. I like my chili a little thicker than it turned out, so I was wondering if it would have reduced much had I simmered it uncovered.

Made this today during Indy/Jet game. Gotta say, pretty dang good! Couldn't find the spicy V8 though and left it out. Also couldn't find jalepeno poder, but found and used jalepeno flakes. Tasted great. But have a question...When simmering, do you do this covered or uncovered? I did it covered. I like my chili a little thicker than it turned out, so I was wondering if it would have reduced much had I simmered it uncovered.

Uncovered. Simmering for over two hours uncovered will reduce it by at least 2 cups worth of liquid. Also if it still isn't thick enough you can make a slurry out of water and corn starch, it will thicken it right up. 4-5 tsp corn starch in 1/4 cup of water should do the trick.