[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bell's Brewery

Puddy

This brewery has exceptional beer. Until this week, I've only enjoyed their staple...Oberon. I bought 5 different 6 packs this weekend. I've tried the Brown Ale, Two Hearted Ale and Hopslam (a ridiculous 10% ABV). All three beers are fantastic. Hopslam has quite a cult following on Beer Advocate. I actually like Two Hearted better (still hoppy but with "only" 7% ABV). I am definitely turning into a hophead.

If you haven't sampled their offerings, I encourage you to do so. I can't believe I've been ignoring this brewery as they are out of Michigan (Kalamazoo).

Hmm, I thought I had most of what Bell's has to offer but since I no longer live in the area I must have missed one. Hopslam sounds right up my alley. It looks like Illinois is finally getting Bell's. I will have to check out my local beer haven and see if they have it. Is it seasonal?

We sell a ton of the Two Hearted Ale. Probably our best seller overall. We picked up a case of Hopslam. Christ is that stuff bitter.

I was joking the other day that if you think it's too bitter, perhaps I could interest you in a shot of bitters.

This brewery has exceptional beer. Until this week, I've only enjoyed their staple...Oberon. I bought 5 different 6 packs this weekend. I've tried the Brown Ale, Two Hearted Ale and Hopslam (a ridiculous 10% ABV). All three beers are fantastic. Hopslam has quite a cult following on Beer Advocate. I actually like Two Hearted better (still hoppy but with "only" 7% ABV). I am definitely turning into a hophead.

If you haven't sampled their offerings, I encourage you to do so. I can't believe I've been ignoring this brewery as they are out of Michigan (Kalamazoo).

Good gravy I had some of t his last weekend in my favorite watering hole. I love this stuff! Very hoppy and full of delicious goodness. Definately my favorite from Bell's outside of the old standby Oberon.

bought two bottles of Hopslam. Will have one tomorrow.

Well....?

Oh and I'm curious about a comparison I just read in a forum at beeradvocate.com. Someone said that Southern Tier has a brew called Gemini that is very similar to Hopslam (but slightly less agressive in taste). I believe you are a big Southern Tier guy. Have you tried Gemini yet? If so, what is your opinion compared to the Hopslam?

Well....?

Oh and I'm curious about a comparison I just read in a forum at beeradvocate.com. Someone said that Southern Tier has a brew called Gemini that is very similar to Hopslam (but slightly less agressive in taste). I believe you are a big Southern Tier guy. Have you tried Gemini yet? If so, what is your opinion compared to the Hopslam?

never got to it and haven't tried Gemini. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had the hopslam but my sinuses are soooo bad that I can taste about 50% of what goes in. Horrible as there's plenty I want to try but I can't knowing I will have no idea if it's good or bad. And that's really the reason I drank it. I don't like hoppy beers so figured I'd drink it when I can't taste it. Stupid I know but I got some idea and it's like I thought. Hoppy and bitter. I did buy the last bottle of the Southern Tier Gemini that Whole Paycheck had. I'll wait till the this condition passes for that one.

Gotta say, it's really not for most people. We were able to get a case (like it was some favor from the distributor or something) and put it on special last week. It sold OK, but nobody ordered a 2nd bottle.

ETA: At the founders dinner, we tasted it side by side with the Founders Double Trouble (which the rep who was talking about the beers that night said should be a good comparison) and we really, really preferred the Founders.

Edited by detlef

Gotta say, it's really not for most people. We were able to get a case (like it was some favor from the distributor or something) and put it on special last week. It sold OK, but nobody ordered a 2nd bottle.

ETA: At the founders dinner, we tasted it side by side with the Founders Double Trouble (which the rep who was talking about the beers that night said should be a good comparison) and we really, really preferred the Founders.

Another fine Michigan brewery from all I've read. I'm going to sample their lineup next.

I've always wanted to try a Bell's stout. I love the Oberon but have never tried the others. I'm not a fan of hops though, I like a smoother beer.

The Two Hearted, while certainly not light on hops, is still pretty smooth. You might dig it.

• 2 weeks later...
The Two Hearted, while certainly not light on hops, is still pretty smooth. You might dig it.

I finally got a six pack of this last weekend ($13.+ with tax here in Chicago) and although I drank them easily enough, it was just too much hops for my liking. I just really don't like hops at all.

I'd love to get some more options of non-hoppy beer that is extremely good though.

I finally got a six pack of this last weekend ($13.+ with tax here in Chicago)

It would probably be just as cost-effective for you to drive up to WI to buy it.

for what it's worth, the Founder's Centennial IPA is currently bordering on being my all-time favorite beer. It is certainly in my top-5 all-time.

That's it. Founder's is next on my list. I keep hearing good things and the geeks on Beer Advocate love them (as well as Bell's). In fact, there was a thread about which states produce the best beer and Michigan was 2nd place on more entries than any other state. California was first on just about everyone's.