[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pierre Thomas

HAUG

With the news of Deuce most likely being the next guy cut after Patten, what do you think the value of Thomas is next year? I've read reports varying from him being the #1 back to others reporting the Saints will look to acquire a guy like L Jonson to fill the bruiser roll. What do you guys think?

Edited by HAUG

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every player is keepable depending on the cost to keep them.

What is the cost for keeping him? ie what are your leagues keeper rules, what other players do you have to consider that could be affected by the decision to keep Thomas, lineup reqs.

Obviously at this point anything with the NO RB is a highr risk decision because it is very unclear just what their intentions are. DMac may or may not stay, they may or may not acquire a veteran RB to come in if they do let DMac go, they may or may not go after one in the draft whether they do or do not let DMac go.

So, in addition to the above questions, when must you make the decision?

Every player is keepable depending on the cost to keep them.

What is the cost for keeping him? ie what are your leagues keeper rules, what other players do you have to consider that could be affected by the decision to keep Thomas, lineup reqs.

Obviously at this point anything with the NO RB is a highr risk decision because it is very unclear just what their intentions are. DMac may or may not stay, they may or may not acquire a veteran RB to come in if they do let DMac go, they may or may not go after one in the draft whether they do or do not let DMac go.

So, in addition to the above questions, when must you make the decision?

I have a few months to decide my keepers. We get to keep 6 players, as it stands now I'm keeping P Thomas, J Addai, R Grant, B Marshall, A Boldin and M Shaub. I just got an offer for Marshall a few minutes ago. He offered me Colston and his 3rd round pick for Marshall. So my WR's will probably be Boldin and Colston. I've had a few offers for P Thomas mostly 1st round picks. That's why I posted the Thomas topic. No cost for keepers, we just get to keep 6 players, any position. If I do trade Thomas I would then keep A Gates. We are req to start a TE.

Edited by HAUG

What is your starting lineup requirements?

How many teams in the league?

If you stand pat (assuming you do the Colston deal as it seems you are inclinded to do), you keep the 3 RBs (Thomas, Addai, Grant), 2 WRs (Boldin and Colston) and a QB (Schaub). You lose Gates as a non-keeper but do add a 3rd rounder. (On a side note, especially if it is a PPR league, I'd probably be inclined to keep Gates over Schaub, but that's just me)

If you deal Thomas now while there is an unknown situation, you keep 2 RBs (Addai, Grant), 2 WRs (Boldin, Colston) a QB (Schaub) and a TE (Gates), essentially a full lineup in most leagues, plus get an extra 1st and third rounder.

I think I'd prefer the info about lineup requirements before making a suggestion, as being able to use a 3rd RB as a flex makes a hugh difference in the value of keeping that 3rd RB.

Also, have you shopped Schaub and Gates around to see what you might be able to get? Always better to get something rather than let them go away for nothing.

We start....

1 QB

2 RB's

2 WR's

1 RB/WR

1 TE

1 K

1 Def/ST

2 IDP's

It is a ppr league. I forgot to mention I also have M Forte, Who I'm keeping. I'm trying to deal Addai to an owner now. So I would be keeping Forte, Grant, Thomas?, Boldin, Marshall?, and either Gates or Shaub. I might release Shaub and try and get him back in the draft. I think he will be a stud next season.

I would reccomend you look to trade anyone over releasing them. It is better to get something rather than nothing for them.

Given that you have 3 solid RBs in Forte, Addai, Grant plus are getting good offers on Thomas, and you are set at WR and have a solid TE, I think I would definitely deal Thomas for a first round pick.

This lets you keep the other players, whom I'd probably keep over him anyway at this point, plus pick up an extra early pick to improve upon your already solid core.

And don't be too shocked if he re-signs later for less money. IMO, nothing has changed in NOS. PT still is the primary RB and whether it's Deuce or Stecker or someone else, PT gets limited to maybe 15 carries and several catches per game... which is still rock star status.

The thing to keep in mind with Thomas is that the Saints have little room to address the RB position whether by the draft or in FA. They are very close to the cap with many key players to get signed thus taking us out of the major FA market. We are also down to only 1st, 4th and 7th round picks in the draft and have some glaring holes on Def so I don't see the Saints drafting a RB. All of this points to Thomas being the man here unless something totally unexpected happens.

I see a committee in New Orleans. Thomas will get the goal line carries and a majority of the early down carries. Bush will still see a lot of pass receptions and return yardage.

I think this is accurate. Well at least until Bush gets hurt again.

I see a committee in New Orleans. Thomas will get the goal line carries and a majority of the early down carries. Bush will still see a lot of pass receptions and return yardage.

I would agree. However, I'd be much more sure of this if the Saints don't draft a RB early or add a guy like Fred Taylor (not that I think they will). I think they may look at add some depth maybe as early as the 3rd round of the draft or more likely on the second day. If things stay the way they are now, I really think that Thomas could have a HUGH '09 campaign.

Thomas had double digit touches for weeks 10-16 last season and was sharing time with either or both Bush and McAllister during that time frame. He received only 160 total touches on the year with 129 carries and 31 receptions but was able to finish in the Top 20 at the RB position in my league with a PPR scoring format.

From weeks 10-16, Thomas averaged 21.7 points per week, which over that time frame would equate to a higher average per week than the #1 overall RB in FF by over 2 points per game. He averaged about 14 carries a game for 72 yards, along with being targeted about 4 times in the passing game per game making about 3 receptions for a 34 yards receiving average per game. He also totaled 9 TDs in those 7 games for an average of 1.3 TDs per game.

So again, if the Saints go into the season with Thomas and Bush as their 2-headed rushing attack, Thomas could be one of the major steals of fantasy drafts this summer as in that scenerio he would likely finish as a Top 10 RB but be drafted later than said value.

I would agree. However, I'd be much more sure of this if the Saints don't draft a RB early or add a guy like Fred Taylor (not that I think they will). I think they may look at add some depth maybe as early as the 3rd round of the draft or more likely on the second day. If things stay the way they are now, I really think that Thomas could have a HUGH '09 campaign.

Please read my post above. The Saints have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft and that is a 1st rounder. The Saints WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT take a RB at 1.14!

Please read my post above. The Saints have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft and that is a 1st rounder. The Saints WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT take a RB at 1.14!

Yeah, I wasn't aware of that fact and hadn't read your post. With that being the case, there's no question that the Saints won't draft a RB at 1.14 and Pierre Thomas should be the man in NO.

What's the over/under on how many times Tbimm will have to repeat this this offseason?

I think people are looking too far into Sean Payton's comment of "The day we lose Deuce (McAlister) we go out looking for that profile (of running back),"

From now up through the draft we're going to hear coaches say just about anything to throw other teams off the trail. The Saints don't have a lot of cap room, and some holes on the defensive side of the ball, as Tbimm stated, as well as a lot of money in Reggie Bush. In reality, the Saints don't have a need at runningback. Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush are the perfect compliments to eachother. Thomas gets the ealry downs and the vast majority of the rushing attempts and it will allow Reggie Bush to play on third downs/return game, and potentially line him up in the slot from time to time.

I think they have wanted to do that, but didn't have a back capable of doing what Pierre Thomas did last year.

All this talk about the Saints drafting a runningback early is non-sense. The Saints were the number one ranked team in Yards and points scored. in 15 games they scored 20 or more. 8 games they scored 30 points or more. Do they really need a runningback because they need to pick themselves up from the no.1 ranked offense and get to an alternate universe to be the best there as well?

Deuce last year ran at 3.9 a carry and 5 TD's. He might have been important to the team morale, or that of the city, but he wasn't a key part that made this offense turn. He was just another guy. I also think that if Thomas doesn't lose out on any time early on to Deuce that the offensive numbers jump up a lot.

This isn't arena football. The Saints miss the playoffs because of a lack of defense. That's why they go defense all draft long.

I've read reports varying from him being the #1 back to others reporting the Saints will look to acquire a guy like L Jonson to fill the bruiser roll. What do you guys think?

Scott Pioli has already stated that Larry Johnson is a part of the Cheifs organization, and that he will keep it that way.

and if by some chance they all of the sudden change their minds, LJ has a very high opinion of himself and wouldn't take the money that the Saints would offer.

I'm sure you're right, but they can trade down and take a RB, yeah? :shrug?

I would be shocked if the Saints take a RB at all in the draft. More likely they resign Stecker and roll with what they have. They just have too many holes to fill on the Def side of the ball.

Rumors of the Saints wanting LT.

I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere that I read how the Chargers are close to a 3-year deal worth slightly more a year than what Sproles is getting this year. So LT probably stays in SD and the 1-2 punch of PT and Bush remains the same.