[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Jaguars released Fred Taylor.

irish

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3911006

Updated: February 16, 2009, 12:39 PM ET

Jags cut RB Taylor in cap move

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars have released running back Fred Taylor, the latest move in the team's makeover.

Jaguars RB Fred Taylor topped the 11,000 yard mark in a win over the Lions in Week 10.

Taylor was scheduled to make about $6 million next season, so getting rid of the 11-year veteran was no surprise since he had clearly become the second option behind Maurice Jones-Drew.

The Jaguars might try to re-sign the 33-year-old back. But Taylor has made it clear he still believes he can be a starter in the NFL.

Taylor is 16th on the NFL's all-time rushing list with 11,271 yards, 81 behind John Riggins. He had 556 yards on the ground last season, splitting time with Jones-Drew, and averaged a career-low 3.9 yards a carry behind an injury-riddled offensive line.

The Jaguars released veterans Jerry Porter and Drayton Florence last week.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Edited by irish

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MJD has to get a nice bump up as he'll more than likely get more looks now. Question is- Who do they bring in to back up Jones-Drew? Will it be a vet or will they draft a rook? Will the Jags still attack with a 2-headed RB system or will MJD take the clear lead role and whoever they bring in just be a CoP?

Wow. I too think Taylor has a little left in the tank. Would Philly be interested in someone to tandem with Westbrook?

Same here. The price may have been too steep. I think he was going to make something like 11 million over the next 2 years. Maybe if Taylor wants to stay he re-signs with the Jags at a lower price. However, Westy and Freddy T would make for a nice 1-2 combo in Philly.

Edited by irish

Depending on price, I'd like to see him here in Denver. In part for his veteran presence on this young team.

Please no. We've tried enough old RB's. Denver needs to either spend a high pick on a RB, or just do a committee approach. FTaylor is not the answer.

ah, right cuz bringing in the older Michael Pittman last year was a bad idea?

I'm not suggesting FT as The Solution. Just value and leadership.

I guess he could help, but Pittman certainly wasn't an answer. Of course no RB was an answer last year. If I had to pick between Pittman and Taylor though, I take Pittman. Much more versatile.

MJD has to get a nice bump up as he'll more than likely get more looks now. Question is- Who do they bring in to back up Jones-Drew? Will it be a vet or will they draft a rook? Will the Jags still attack with a 2-headed RB system or will MJD take the clear lead role and whoever they bring in just be a CoP?

MJD will not take the role of a 20+ carry RB every game.....anyone who thinks he does will be sorely disappointed.

MJD will not take the role of a 20+ carry RB every game.....anyone who thinks he does will be sorely disappointed.

I could not agree more. For a couple years now, its MJD this and that, and woe is me Taylor vultured my win.

I firmly believe the Jags will draft or acquire another RB to help split the load. It would be shocking to do otherwise when the two-back approach has worked so well for them.

maybe so but his overall production will undoubtedly soar. most obviously in the passing game. 30 combined touches per game is well within his ability. ill take that

Edited by tazinib1

Pittman most certainly was an answer. Before he got hurt, he played in two games where he carried the ball 20 times in each game averaging 4.4 and 5.4 yds per carry. Up until Peyton went down, Denver was #5 in rushing in the league.

In Taylor's two games last year where he had significant carries, he averaged 4.7 and 4.4 yards.

If we can keep Pittman and get Taylor on the cheap, they'd be a great part of the run game. We don't need to draft a RB, we need to draft DEF. And if Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis can stay on-hold until fully healed -- which is what MP and FT could do for the team -- then we can find out if thoes kids are the real deal for the long-term.

Don't hate the elderly!

I guess I am a little against the elderly even though I'm now one of them. Pittman has never been the answer in his career for one reason or another. His YPC is nice, but he's never rushed for more than 1,000 yds. Now if Denver is going to have a RBBC with 3 or so backs then that's fine, but I'm not convinced that Taylor adds anything to the mix that they don't already have.

Bump up Greg Jones.

As intriguing as Greg Jones just might be, I think with MJD playing the TD guy that we'll be bumping up a player that isn't currently on the roster.

maybe so but his overall production will undoubtedly soar. most obviously in the passing game. 30 combined touches per game is well within his ability. ill take that

yea team him up with Stewert and watch your team sink.

As intriguing as Greg Jones just might be, I think with MJD playing the TD guy that we'll be bumping up a player that isn't currently on the roster.

Before his knee injury there was talk about him being a tailback. He may have been MJD before MJD.

They still have Chauncey Washington but I haven't heard anything about him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones get 10-12 touches though.

MJD will never last as a feature back. . .

Where does this come from? I'm just curious. Has MJD been injured very much? Do people doubt his running ability or pass protection? I didn't have MJD in any leagues this year so maybe I'm just behind the curve.

Where does this come from? I'm just curious. Has MJD been injured very much? Do people doubt his running ability or pass protection? I didn't have MJD in any leagues this year so maybe I'm just behind the curve.

His carries have increased in each of his 3 years and his YPCs has decreased yearly.

I would suspect that due to only tipping in at 203 lbs even if he is as tall as a fire hydrant gives people pause as

to how effective he would be toting the rock 320(20/game)-400(25/game) carries.

He has huge legs and a strong body but would it hold up? He's doing well in a RBBC why mess with success? Give the ball to Greg Jones, Chauncey Washington or another back 10 times a game.

Taylor had 9 carries a game last season.

This is from the Jaguars presser

“We spent time talking about the various scenarios. We want to see more Maurice and more

It was difficult to see a role that would’ve been acceptable for everybody,” Del Rio said. Edited by Randall

He's just too small to survive a 16 game schedule with 25+ touches per game. Especially in an offense where teams can load up on the run because the passing game is so anemic. He's always drafted way too early in fantasy drafts, and will be again this year.