[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings Close to rading For Rosenfels

Outshined

Report: Vikings close to dealing for Rosenfels

February 23rd, 2009 – 12:44 PM by Judd Zulgad The Vikings and Houston Texans are close to completing a trade that would send quarterback Sage Rosenfels to Minnesota, according to the Houston Chronicle. The Vikings reportedly would give up a fourth-round draft choice.

This is the second year in a row the Vikings have attempted to get Rosenfels. Last year, the Vikings offered Houston a third-round pick but the talks ended when the Texans asked for a second-rounder.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Friday that he wanted someone to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting quarterback job and that if Gus Frerotte elected to return for the final season of his contract he could be the guy. However, if a trade for Rosenfels is completed that likely means Frerotte won’t be back.

Rosenfels, who is from Iowa and played at Iowa State, has one season left on his contract. He will turn 31 on March 6.

Rosenfels has been in the NFL for eight seasons, spending one season with Miami, four with Miami and three with Houston. He has started five games each of the past two seasons and went 2-3 last season. Here is Rosenfels’ bio page from NFL.com.

Rosenfels did not start in the Texans’ 28-21 loss at the Metrodome on Nov. 2, but he did replace the injured Matt Schaub in that game. He completed 21 of 29 passes for 224 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.

Sage is a great backup QB... why would Houston lose that security for a mid-round pick?

He has one year remaining on his contract. He wants to be a starter somewhere and knows he won't be starting in Houston. Houston knows he will walk after this year, so I am guessing they are getting something for him before he bails.

Damnit. This news couldn't have came at a worse time. In 2 dynasties, I have trades involving Sage that are pending. A trade could crush those talks permanently. Hit the accept button NOW damnit!!!

I was just thinking that I was glad I drafted Rosenfels in LLD... Then again, I only did it because I have Schaub. Now I'll have to just hope Schaub finally makes it through an entire season or that Rosenfels becomes a viable starting QB in fantasy.Or that Chad Henne takes over in Miami this season and excels...

:wacko:

From a FF perspective, I don't really see it making a difference. In HOU, he's got much better WRs and will put up solid points for those 4-5 games he starts. In MIN, you'll have to play the two-headed QB matchup approach and you'll probably get five good FF games out of him. So, I don't think it should really affect your trades?

In 16 team IDP leagues, its a pretty big deal.

Update: Sports Radio 610 out of Houston is reporting that the Vikings are offering a fifth-round pick and the Texans are seeking a third. They will probably settle on a fourth-rounder. Meanwhile, the station also reports the Vikings have offered a three-year, $9 million extension to Rosenfels.

I'm still surprised that they haven't jumped at Garcia yet, but regardless I have to believe that Rosenfels is an upgrade to Frerotte as someone to compete with Tarvaris. I hope they get this done.

Me too!!

:D not sure what IDP has to do with a QB. And as for the 16-teams, well, certainly use Sage on your other QBs bye-week, but I still think the amount of FF production will be about as useful :wacko:

Typically in IDP leagues, roster size is around 53 at a minimum. Depleting the offensive positions even further, especially at QB.

A 4th rounder for a good backup doesn't seem like that much and i do question why Hou would do that. I can only conclude that they've lost some faith in Rosenfels after he choked away those games last year. :D

Exactly. The 6 TDs doesn't hardly make up for the 14 turnovers. If Sage doesn't give away the Indy & Baltimore games we are talking 10-6 and a possible playoff berth. I'm sure Kubes has a backup plan in place. Well at least I hope he does. :wacko:

From the Etruscan Book of Thyme, which preceded Caesar & Christ:

One day will be born among you

A Deliverer, Scion of the Twelve Tribes

In a distant land, product of Rosemary

And Yahweh's holy corncob

And He will toil in troubled fields

And letter in rings of sport

But will give no quarter back

And cut swaths as a Cyclone through these bleak acres

And he will journey to a great Capital

But be rebuffed as a leader of men

By a tribe with skins of red