[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santonio Holmes Fantasy Value

Menudo

I know that a lot of people got burned by Santonio's inconsistency last season. I think his break-out fantasy season is going to happen a year later than most people thought. I am predicting that Santonio becomes a top-tier fantasy WR next season. I know it is a bold prediction, but, he has the talent, and I think things are following in place for him for the following reasons.

1. Nate Washington will almost definitely walk. I think that someone is going to offer Nate starting WR money, and with Sweed in waiting, the Steelers won't come close to matching that.

2. With Sweed replacing Washington, Holmes will get the majority of Washington's looks. Sweed is not ready to produce the opportunities that Nate did, not yet anyway. Hines Ward's production will remain the same as last year (at best), at this point of his career, which is just fine. In the end Holmes sees an up-tick with Washington leaving.

3. Holmes has always had the talent, and his playoff run and Super Bowl performance will bring the confidence up to par with the talent. Not only Santonio's confidence in himself, but, Roethlisberger's confidence in him as well.

These are my thoughts. If you are in a keeper or dynasty league and on the fence about Holmes, my suggestion is to hang onto him like grim death. I think you will be happy with the results.

I believe his upside is similar to a healthy Santana Moss...one week he will light up the scoreboard to the tune of 3 TDs and 167 yards, the next week he'll catch 2 passes for -10 yards.

You won't be able to take him out of your line up for fear of missing the big games (which will come fairly frequently), but you'll be kicking yourself those weeks where he offers nothing.

WashD

I have problems with the prediction that Holmes will be a "stud":

1) I always have concerns when a #2 WR shifts to the #1 WR on a team. The attention of the #1 CB on the opposing D and often the FS shading in his direction put a much greater burden on the WR to create a window. A lot of WRs struggle in this transition.

2) Is anyone expecting better numbers from Holmes than they got from Ward? Because with a couple of exceptions, Ward was a fair #2 WR and a good #3 WR. Hardly studly for the greater portion of his career. Holmes would have to bypass Ward's numbers by a 10% to 15% margin to make it to #1 WR range, much less being considered a stud.

3) If Holmes is going to improve into a stud, he's going to have to get a lot of opportunities. That means Roethlisberger will have to throw the ball a lot more than he does now. If Roethlisbrger throws the ball more and the way he holds onto the ball too long in the pocket, odds would seem to indicate that he's going to get hurt - he's already taking a beating right now. To even make it into being a top 10 QB in pass attempts, Roethlisberger is going to have to throw the ball 12% +/- more than he's doing right now under Tomlin. I have some real difficulty with this in particular, which limits Holmes.

I just can't see Holmes being anything more than a decent #2 FF WR - and some of that is not attributable to Holmes himself, though I would seriously question whether he would fit into the top 10 WRs as far as capability/physical ability goes.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I have problems with the prediction that Holmes will be a "stud":

1) I always have concerns when a #2 WR shifts to the #1 WR on a team. The attention of the #1 CB on the opposing D and often the FS shading in his direction put a much greater burden on the WR to create a window. A lot of WRs struggle in this transition.

2) Is anyone expecting better numbers from Holmes than they got from Ward? Because with a couple of exceptions, Ward was a fair #2 WR and a good #3 WR. Hardly studly for the greater portion of his career. Holmes would have to bypass Ward's numbers by a 10% to 15% margin to make it to #1 WR range, much less being considered a stud.

3) If Holmes is going to improve into a stud, he's going to have to get a lot of opportunities. That means Roethlisberger will have to throw the ball a lot more than he does now. If Roethlisbrger throws the ball more and the way he holds onto the ball too long in the pocket, odds would seem to indicate that he's going to get hurt - he's already taking a beating right now. To even make it into being a top 10 QB in pass attempts, Roethlisberger is going to have to throw the ball 12% +/- more than he's doing right now under Tomlin. I have some real difficulty with this in particular, which limits Holmes.

I just can't see Holmes being anything more than a decent #2 FF WR - and some of that is not attributable to Holmes himself, though I would seriously question whether he would fit into the top 10 WRs as far as capability/physical ability goes.

Very good points BB. I do enjoy talking football with you. I guess Stud may have been too strong of an argument. I just think, due to the reasons I gave that he will be far more consistent and see many more opportunities starting in 2009. Obviously everyone disagrees with me thus far, but, I'm sticking to my thought. I think he can be a Top 10 fantasy producing WR. Time will tell.

If the Steelers can get a better O line than I think you'll see an uptick in Holmes production. He is good, but a deep ball threat is only good when the QB has time to let him run his routes. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I've always thought the Steelers have thrown more than people give them credit for the last few years. All deep ball guys are risky, but I think that IF the O line gets better this offseason (FA or draft or both) than Holmes could be a much better option next year than he was this year.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I've always thought the Steelers have thrown more than people give them credit for the last few years.

PIT pass O rankings:

2008 20th pass attempts

2007 31st pass attempts (Tomlin's first year)

2006 14th pass attempts

2005 32nd pass attempts

2004 32nd pass attempts