[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Experiences With the "Casual" Football Fan

kpholmes

Let's be honest - none of us are "casual" football fans. For the most part, we can all claim to know most starter skill positions for every team, and for the real addicts - the offensive line, and entire defense. We know the politics of football, the rumors and the happenings when they happen and why.

So how do you react when you come face to face with the "casual" football fan and are forced to talk football?

You know who I'm talking about. The people who botch or don't know the names of players, or say things to divert from modern facts like "Well the 49ers just keep looking for another Jerry Rice." They're the guys that can tell you Tom Brady is the league's best quarterback, but had no idea he was out last season - or stopped watching after he was out. If you've ever been to any kind of organized football viewing function - you've met them. So the question is, how do you personally approach them?

Do you try to impress them with your football knowledge? Correct their mistakes? Play dumb to get through the conversation?

I was seen by a co-worker wearing one of my Raider shirts on my break today. She talked my ear off about "that one old guy" and how he was ruining the team. She used very general examples, such as "firing coaches, getting bad players" and my favorite "being too old." She talked for about four minutes - and never even mentioned his name or position as owner. I felt inclined to correct her and say Al Davis? Or even talk about the specific coaching problems, busted draft picks, and bad contracts given to free agents... but just realized it wasn't worth it and my best course of action was to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

What say you Huddlers?

I meet these guys at the sports bar every Sunday. I just pray I don't have to sit next to them. I meet them on set as well and these guys are sometimes worse than the know-it-all (in there eyes) drunks cause I have to listen to there dribble for 14-16 hours at a time.

btw: was that co-worker hot? Cause any chick that talks football, regardless of football education, has potential right out of the gate.

If I end up in a football conversation with someone and realize that they really don't know much of anything and are just rambling, I want it over as soon as possible. Hell, I haven't had to do this yet, but I might even act like I know nothing about football just to get out of it.

If I end up in a football conversation with someone and realize that they really don't know much of anything and are just rambling, I want it over as soon as possible. Hell, I haven't had to do this yet, but I might even act like I know nothing about football just to get out of it.

Is this how conversations with Chappy go?

:wacko: I kid.

Edited by kpholmes

Hi, I'm spanish (Spain, Europe), and here there isn't the football culture, the soccer is the king, and when meet people that know what is my favourite sport says, "hey, man, how about your american rugby team?" and I must to do an effort and patiently :wacko: , to make clear that my sport is the football, not american rugby, rugby is diferent", this one day, another, another..., here is a adventure if your sport is football :D

I was seen by a co-worker wearing one of my Raider shirts on my break today.

btw: was that co-worker hot? Cause any chick that talks football, regardless of football education, has potential right out of the gate.

She was wearing one of KP's shirts. :wacko:

I used to be a die-hard football fan, then lost interest in the 90s. About a year and a half ago it grabbed me again and I'm back to a die-hard again. So I can totally relate to the "casual" fan since I've been on both sides of the fence. It's like anything else though, you can't correct anyone too much or you look like a know-it-all jackass. Just nod and go along with it.

It depends on the attitude. If it is one of those know-it-all types I usually can only bite my tongue for so long before I have to politely demonstrate to him how he's been wrong about almost everything he's spouted. In general though, I'll just listen and pretend to agree. I'll correct them on major points but let the small stuff slide. Being in Seattle, you need to learn to let the small stuff slide. Without a long-term history of pro sports, many here simply aren't educated three generations deep like so many people further east, so I try not to hold ignorance against the masses here, but common sense and sports are just two ideas that you don't come across in unison inSeattle very often. I try to educate with braod, basic ideas and then let people come to their own conclusions.

The one thing I finally stopped doing was giving fantasy advice. I somehow cost my brother-in-law a championship by recommending Romo would be a good fantasy quarterback. Then he gets hurt and I'm all of a sudden an idiot.

The one thing I finally stopped doing was giving fantasy advice. I somehow cost my brother-in-law a championship by recommending Romo would be a good fantasy quarterback. Then he gets hurt and I'm all of a sudden an idiot.

Now there's a statement I agree with 100% and have experienced myself. However, not to say anything negative about your BIL, but usually the people who get pissed off after you've advised them and it hasn't worked out for one of many different possible reasons, are ignorant to the sport and idea that no one is ever right anywhere near 100% of the time. That's like when people get pissed and post here about DMD's player projections being off. They're his best attempt at predicting what will happen based on many different factors and rarely is the actual result going to be exactly what's projected. In my eyes, it's a tool that helps make decisions that people are torn on and after using that feature if you were projected to beat your opponent and you do, then that's good enough. It serves as a nice way to see how weak/strong your team may be going into the games.

Went off on a tangeant a bit there. :wacko:

Edited by irish

I was seen by a co-worker wearing one of my Raider shirts on my break today. She talked my ear off about "that one old guy" and how he was ruining the team. She used very general examples, such as "firing coaches, getting bad players" and my favorite "being too old." She talked for about four minutes - and never even mentioned his name or position as owner. I felt inclined to correct her and say Al Davis? Or even talk about the specific coaching problems, busted draft picks, and bad contracts given to free agents... but just realized it wasn't worth it and my best course of action was to end the conversation as quickly as possible.

What say you Huddlers?

Id've grabbed her knobs, jiggled them vigorously, and said "The Raiders front office needs a good shaking up." :wacko:

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

So you're required to predict injuries when giving advice? Sounds like they are the idiot.