[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Maurice Morris To Lions

Lonestar39

I know going to the Lions is a graveyard but just where do you think he is as far as starter material or not for them?

The Lions have every intention on getting Kevin Smith the bulk of the carries. Even in an 0-16 year he showed some promise. I think MoMo (all rights reserved to Furd) will have a backup role. In today's NFL that could translate into 30-40% of the workload however.

Edited by Puddy

The Lions have every intention on getting Kevin Smith the bulk of the carries. Even in an 0-16 year he showed some promise. I think MoMo (all rights reserved to Furd) will have a backup role. In today's NFL that could translate into 30-40% of the workload however.

I agree with this mostly. However, I'm still a big believer in Kevin Smith and the idea that he will be the workhorse and only share with MoMo- filling the CoP role. I'm not even sure Morris gets 30-40%. The Lions had 322 carries last season and with a slightly better year could end up with more carries this season. Here was the breakdown:

Kevin Smith- 239

Rudi- 76

Cason- 4

Felton- 2

Norris- 1

Last year, Kevin Smith tallied about 75% (74%) of the carries for the Lions and Rudi carried it about 25% (24%) of the time. The rest equated to about 2%. The trick here is that in the last 8 weeks the Lions had about 183 carries and Kevin Smith had 169 of them for 92% of the load and Rudi had 14 carries for 7% of the carries. Kevin Smith is the main man in Detroit and Morris just makes for a better backup plan behind him, certainly better than Rudi.

Let's say the Lions total about 350 carries next season, which would be about 2 extra carries a week compared to this season, and I'm not going to say that Kevin Smith carries 92% of the load but 75-80% sounds about right, leaving about 20% to Morris. So that would be about 280 for Smith and about 70 for Morris. It's possible Smith hits 300 carries this year but that may be the ceiling. 90% of 350 carries would be 315 carries for Smith.

Edited by irish

JJ was quite effective in the first part of the season (before Seattle lost 1/2 its O-line, starting QB, and entire WR core). The entire offense dissipated by Week 5. The feeling in Seattle was opposite, Morris was a Holmgren guy, and fans were frustrated that Morris was getting so many carries.

Not trying to make a case for JJ being a stud, but the insinuation that he isn't worthy of a roster spot and Morris is head and shoulders a better player is far-fetched.

JJ was quite effective in the first part of the season (before Seattle lost 1/2 its O-line, starting QB, and entire WR core). The entire offense dissipated by Week 5. The feeling in Seattle was opposite, Morris was a Holmgren guy, and fans were frustrated that Morris was getting so many carries.

Not trying to make a case for JJ being a stud, but the insinuation that he isn't worthy of a roster spot and Morris is head and shoulders a better player is far-fetched.

Duckett is still in Seattle any way. So JJ will get the touches in between the 20's and then Duckett will more than likely fill the GL and short-yardage role, no?

Duckett is still in Seattle any way. So JJ will get the touches in between the 20's and then Duckett will more than likely fill the GL and short-yardage role, no?

Likely scenario, but Weaver might be a wildcard. I, for one, could never figure out why he didn't get more opportunities to run last year. If Owen Schmitt is ready to become a blocking FB; maybe Weaver gets more involved this year.

Likely scenario, but Weaver might be a wildcard. I, for one, could never figure out why he didn't get more opportunities to run last year. If Owen Schmitt is ready to become a blocking FB; maybe Weaver gets more involved this year.

That's a solid point as I do remember seeing Weaver get involved some in the past and from what I recall he was a very tough runner inside and also caught the ball pretty well when given the opportunities. Weaver had 30 carries last year and 20 receptions. He averaged 4.3 ypc and 11.1 ypc. So, you might be right on the money with Weaver's role increasing.

My bad. I've never been impressed with Morris either (other than a couple of flashes throughout the years). I don't think he is head and shoulders better than Jones. I think he is mediocre and JJ is crap.

My bad. I've never been impressed with Morris either (other than a couple of flashes throughout the years). I don't think he is head and shoulders better than Jones. I think he is mediocre and JJ is crap.

I agree with the first part of this, but would flip-flop the last sentence: Morris is junk... JJ is mediocre with flashes of brilliance.

Weaver won't be in Seattle next season. He will be one of the top FB in free agency this year, and a guy that can't block isn't worth the money he is going to get.

As far as Duckett/JJ, Knapp and Mora LOVE Duckett. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he gets the first shot to be the featured back. With what we saw last year, he probably deserves it too. Neither Jones or Morris did anything of note other than a few plays.

As far as Morris...he is being brought in to be a 3rd down back, not to compete to be the starting back in any way. It has become glaringly obvious to those of us that can tell the difference, that Mo just isn't talented enough to be a featured NFL back. Very good 3rd down back, almost tragic 1st and 2nd down back. He just doesn't fall forward. He has way too many 0 and 1 yard carries and doesn't have the burst to make up for it.

JJ wasn't the problem here, but isn't the answer either. He can't run on running downs. He runs fine though when the defense is expecting the pass. He has shown enough to where it is reasonable to believe he would have had 1,000 yards with a decent number of carries. Not a 1300 yard back, but 1000-1100 isn't over his head.

People in Seattle just drive me crazy. I had to listen to a 3-hour radio show where no less than five callers were calling for Seneca Wallace to be the starting QB, saying how terrible Matt Hasselbeck is. I'm sure the same people are calling for Mo. Just ridiculous.

Edited by Seahawks21

Morris is being brought in to back up and spell Smith.

My guess is that, barring injury and/or the additional of another RB, he'll get about 20% of the carries.

That's exactly the amount of carries I thought and stated he would get as well. I hope so any way, cause I'm pretty high on Smith this season.

Edited by irish