[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Braylon Edwards

piratesownninjas

Analysis: One team has reportedly made a standing offer of a first-round pick for Quinn, which the Browns will likely accept.

I smell DEN in this. I would take that as a positive move towards actually improving the team - something I haven't seen much out of the McDaniels' regime so far. Hopefully they are putting up the #18 pick.

This may belong here-Brandon Marshall suspension- potential trades before the draft.

No news, good news?

With the NFL draft less than two weeks away, the silence from the NFL office on Brandon Marshall is an encouraging sound to those locked behind closed doors at Dove Valley.

If Marshall were to receive a stiff sentence for violating the league's personal conduct policy, commissioner Roger Goodell, in the name of competitive fairness, likely would have issued his finding before the draft, as he did by levying a three-game suspension on Buffalo running back Marshawn Lynch.

To wit: The commissioner understands that if he was going to suspend Marshall for, say, eight games, the Broncos would have to draft a receiver within the first two rounds.

Marshall, who served a one-game suspension last year, was arrested March 1 in Atlanta following an argument with his fiancee. Charges were dismissed the next morning.

That the charges evaporated almost immediately, coupled with ample evidence that Marshall has genuinely tried to become a better person in the past year (see his volunteer time with at-risk children), may cause Goodell to decide against a harsh ruling that would potentially ruin a promising career.

Marshall can still expect some punishment. But there is reason for the Broncos to hope his suspension will be closer to zero games than eight.

There is a potential trade so logical, it all but leaps off the draft value chart.

Providing the Jacksonville Jaguars are willing partners, the Broncos could easily leap from their No. 12 overall draft pick to No. 8. (Credit the Walter Camp draftniks for first pointing this out).

The No. 8 spot would be significant to the Broncos if their preference is defensive tackle B.J. Raji, quarterback Mark Sanchez or Texas defensive end/outside linebacker Brian Orakpo.

As it stands now, someone would have to lace Raji's brownies between now and April 25 for the projected 3-4 nose tackle to fall past Green Bay with the No. 9 pick.

The San Francisco 49ers, having failed with Alex Smith as their franchise quarterback, cannot allow Sanchez to drop beyond their No. 10 pick.

And Orakpo, a physical freak who possesses the greatest pass- rushing potential, probably wouldn't get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or Buffalo at No. 11.

According to the last known draft value chart, the No. 8 draft pick is worth 1,400 points while the No. 12 pick is worth 1,200. To those who had a little too much Saturday night fun, that's a difference of 200 points.

That extra third-round pick the Broncos got from the Bears in the Jay Cutler trade? It allows the Broncos to sacrifice their first third- round pick, No. 79 overall. The No. 79 pick is worth 195 points on the draft value chart.

Or close enough.

McDaniels and Xanders would never state their preference with their No. 12 pick. But it's no secret they may have to move up to get him.

This was in Brady Quinn's hometown paper a few days ago:

Then, there's this passage from Mike Lombardi, who was New England coach Bill Belichick's personnel director with the Browns in the 1990s, on the National Football Post:

"There's a huge perception among fans in Cleveland that Brady Quinn is a quality starting quarterback in the NFL. Fueling this fire is (Notre Dame coach) Charlie Weis and his evaluation of Quinn. But what Weis thinks, and what others who worked for and with Weis at New England think, are vastly different.

"(When new Denver coach Josh) McDaniels was on the staff at N.E., the Patriots did not have Quinn very high on their board, regardless of the wisdom stemming from Weis' evaluation. There were some well-respected personnel men in the NFL who did not want to take the Browns job (prior to Eric Mangini becoming the main man) because they didn't feel Quinn could be the starter.

"I feel the Browns are not done trying to improve the quarterback position. Quinn may be the starter, but he will have to prove to the new staff that he can make all the throws and can be accurate with the ball on every level, something that has not been consistent during his short NFL career."

My question: Why was McDaniels trying to trade for Quinn if he sucked?

How did the chiefs get a coach with Thigpen as coach? Quinn must really suck.

Mike Lombardi sure did a lot in Cleveland when Belicheat was here.

I really dont know what to make of everything that is going on with the Browns.

Thats was pretty hard to understand, my bad. Lombardi was saying that no one good would accept the Browns job because they didnt feel that Quinn was a capable QB. I questioned lombardi's attack because a team with a complete garbage QB, like Thigpen, was able to go out and get a top NFL exec. Therefore Thigpen must be a lot better than Quinn.

The Browns supposedly already have a 1st round pick on the table according to Rotoworld

The Browns reportedly have an offer of a first-round draft pick on the table for Braylon Edwards, but they are looking for more.

Edwards is set to be a free agent after the 2009 season, so the prospective trading partner would have to forfeit the draft pick(s) and sign him to a long-term deal. The National Football Post's Michael Lombardi expects Edwards to be dealt before the season begins.

I'm sure any interested team would have a deal in place before bothering to make the trade, yeah?

Correct, and that might be where the snag is. Edwards is reportedly looking for a deal at 10 mill per year. After his lackluster year it's going to be hard to get Fitzgerald money.

It looks like we're getting closer and closer to Braylon becoming a Giant. Per Rotoworld

Citing two sources "with knowledge of the negotiations," Yahoo Sports reports that the Giants are expected to trade for Braylon Edwards before the April 25-26 NFL Draft.

"The Giants are going to have to up the offer a bit, but (the Browns) are willing to move him," a source said. "The Giants are motivated." Edwards is an ideal fit to replace Plaxico Burress at split end in New York. With Rob Royal and David Patten as their top pass catchers left, however, new OC Brian Daboll is going to deserve a medal if Cleveland finishes above 25th in offense.

It looks like we're getting closer and closer to Braylon becoming a Giant. Per Rotoworld

Citing two sources "with knowledge of the negotiations," Yahoo Sports reports that the Giants are expected to trade for Braylon Edwards before the April 25-26 NFL Draft.

"The Giants are going to have to up the offer a bit, but (the Browns) are willing to move him," a source said. "The Giants are motivated." Edwards is an ideal fit to replace Plaxico Burress at split end in New York. With Rob Royal and David Patten as their top pass catchers left, however, new OC Brian Daboll is going to deserve a medal if Cleveland finishes above 25th in offense.

I've read that the Browns are enamored with Michael Crabtree as well... Moving Edwards makes sense for them if they're targeting Crabtree. If the Giants land Edwards, I'd have to think they're the clear favorite for the NFC...

Were all these reports just posturing by both teams? As a Braylon owner in a Dynasty league, I sure hope not. Per Rotoworld

Profootballtalk.com hears that a Braylon Edwards trade to the Giants is unlikely, despite two reports to the contrary.

PFT suggests both sides are "posturing," with Cleveland leaking rumors to drive up Edwards' market, and New York holding out "until the Browns drop their asking price" and Edwards his contract demands. The Browns are said to be asking for Mathias Kiwanuka. Edwards wants to be paid $10M a year.

It's not as entertaining as tennis, but it is just as effective. I posted that cuz Cole has two sources with insider info, whereas the PFT report lacks that :wacko:

Yeah, it's always hard to tell who has the most current info. I sure hope this is a done deal. WR is my weakest position in the Dynasty league. I've got AJohnson and Braylon as the only hold overs. I like Bralyon's prospects 10 times more in NY than Cle.

Edited by Capt. Stanky