[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cassel to the chiefs

Azazello1313

I heard its Vrabrel and Cassel for the 2nd rounder - #34. Makes no sense to me. There has to be more involved here. Unless the pats really didn't think Cassel had much value.

???

John Clayton on ESPN is verifying the 2nd round pick (34) now.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard its Vrabrel and Cassel for the 2nd rounder - #34. Makes no sense to me. There has to be more involved here. Unless the pats really didn't think Cassel had much value.

???

I think there's hidden value here. Pat's now have the 23, 34,47 & 58 picks in the draft, so there will be some cash spent there. They also may be interested in re-signing some talent to longer deals as well as spending some cash on FAs. If they had a higher pick, or more picks, then that is even more spent on rookies, something BB doesn't really enjoy doing. He'd rather spend on known commodities.

I think the value to the Pat's is in what the got rid of, and what was freed up in terms of money, as much as what they got in return.

???

well...by moving these two they cleared about 19 mil, or around there, in cap space...i believe.....so they can do some new deals for vince wilfork and logan mankins...then theyd still have some money there to do some things....honestly...im not that disappointed...thats a high 2nd rounder...and like i said...they have two 3rds...that 2nd rounder can easily become another first

Is it true that Vrabel is in the last year of his deal? Their willingness to part with him speaks volumes about how they think he'll be this year.

Then again, the Steelers ditched him early on because they thought he was nothing special...maybe he'll have a similar resurgence with the Chiefs. Great guy, I hope it works out for him.

Is it true that Vrabel is in the last year of his deal? Their willingness to part with him speaks volumes about how they think he'll be this year.

Then again, the Steelers ditched him early on because they thought he was nothing special...maybe he'll have a similar resurgence with the Chiefs. Great guy, I hope it works out for him.

yeah its really tough for us as fans to part ways with mike "all he does is catch touchdowns" vrabel....its like colts fans parting with marvin in a way....mike is linked to a great era in patriots and new england sports history....

i dunno how this team is going to address this issue....trade...draft...or free agency....but with gaffney in denver....we are going to need to beef up this receiving corps

If KC got Vrabel and Cassell for our 2nd pick only ... that is a great trade.

Especially if KC can flip Cassell to (say) TB for a pick or player or two, that'd be great! ...maybe move Cassell to CAR for Peppers?

Now wait a minute...Cassel was franchised a short while back by New England. They've traded him and Vrabel for the second rounder, but doesn't that mean they'd also get two first rounders from KC to boot?

No. A team can trade a franchised player for anything they want to.

I just heard that the deal isn't final yet, as there may be a 3rd team involved? Anyone else hear this?

Just saw this... Looks like there were other teams involved in trade talks with the Patriots and now some hurt feelings as well...

Adam Schefter

Cutler upset over potential deals to Detroit, Tampa Bay

Posted: February 28th, 2009 | Adam Schefter | Tags: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Jay Cutler, Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

There’s one story behind the trade of Matt Cassel to the Chiefs. There’s a whole other story behind that blockbuster story.

While New England and Kansas City were agreeing to Saturday’s trade of Cassel to the Chiefs for the draft’s 34th overall pick, there were more teams in the mix. Detroit, Tampa and Denver were involved in trade talks of their own also tied to Cassel, according to sources in the respective NFL cities.

Tampa approached Denver to try to make a three-way trade that would have sent Cassel to the Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler to the Buccaneers. The Broncos entertained the notion and pondered it but ultimately decided against it.

Also, the Lions approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler, trying to dangle Cassel as bait. Once again, Denver debated the deal and opted against it apparently. What made it a moot point was that while all Tampa, Detroit and Denver engaged in trade talks with New Engalnd, the Patriots went ahead and dealt Cassel to the Chiefs.

The Broncos firmly maintain that they never intended to trade Cutler, that they were approached to make the trades. But, as of Saturday afternoon, Cutler was angry to hear that his name had been floated in any trade conversations.

Now the Chiefs have Cassel, the Broncos still have Cutler and the Lions and Buccaneers continue their search for quarterbacks in one of the wilder and more complex behind-the-scene dramas the NFL has seen in any recent offseason.

I'm certain that the Broncos "entertained" those offers just to piss off Jay Cutler. Cutler needs a kick to his ego and just the thought that he could be even considered traded is good enough to bring the kid back to earth. The new coach said no one was safe and while even he wouldn't have the balls to move Cutler, he took a bold step today to take control of the team.

Awwwww...Poor wittle Jay got his wittle feewings huwt? hahahahahaha...I love it.

It disgusts me seeing every other AFC West team making moves to better themselves, yes even the Raiders, yet AJ Smith sits on his fat ass.

+1

I know AJ doesn't sign many free agents but to do NOTHING is incredible!! Come on, AJ!!! :wacko:

I actually think this is pretty fair for both teams. Vrabel is just about finished. Cassel is IMO, a one-year wonder. A system QB. BUT, he might not be. Or the Chiefs think they can transplant the NE system. Regardless, all they had to do was give up a second round pick? Well worth the risk. The Pats clear a TON of cap space. They aren't forced to sign Cassel to a long term deal. They don't lose him for nothing. And they get a high second rounder. It's win-win.

Edited by CaptainHook

I think the value to the Pat's is in what the got rid of, and what was freed up in terms of money, as much as what they got in return.

The sweet deal for the former Pats exec may smell like collusion on the surface, but you may be right that it was just a salary dump on the Pats part.