[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cassel to the chiefs

Azazello1313

So, anybody think this bumps up Bowe? I'll admit I'm kind of high on Bowe at this point. I'll have to see where everyone ranks him and it all depends on where I'm drafting but I owned Bowe this year and he was my most consistent #3WR.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we are going to need to beef up this receiving corps

Hello Laveranues Coles? Both the Pats and Jets always love to throw more gasoline on the flaming border war between NE and NYJ, and NE has always been a place where vets have one more good year in them...Coles (if healthy and the $ is right) would be a great (and highly motivated) WR3 behind Moss and Welker.

Anyway, my 2¢ on the deal (haven't read the whole thread, apologies if I'm repeating anyone): Cassel would have walked as a free agent. A $14mm backup wasn't flying. Vrabel was a possible cut anyway: can't rush the passer anymore, not great in pass coverage anymore, either...great a leader as he's been, his days were numbered. So, we turn a 7th round pick, who was going to walk as a free agent, and a washed up LB, into a 2nd rounder (to go with a bunch of other fairly early picks) and a ton of cap space. I wish we'd been able to turn Cassel into Julius Peppers, but hey, can't have it all.

Now, let's use the newfound cap space/picks to find a legit corner to replace Asante, or to get younger at L:B (which they'll no doubt do via the draft).

Edit to add: And the Pats will now clearly bring in a vet (who would "know his place" behind Brady) to compete with O'Connell for #2...a guy like Kitna, perhaps.

Edit II, because I can't shut up about this: My condolences to Calvin Johnson/Antonio Bryant/Kellen Winslow owners who, thanks to some of the trade rumors out there yesterday, had a brief, tantalizing vision of Jay Cutler throwing to them.

Edited by msaint

Great deal for the Chiefs (unfortunately), but it's been reported that the Bucs/Lions were offering more for just Cassel... I still don't get why they settled for so much less than what was being offered.

Oh, another thing... no way do I believe Denver dangled Cutler just to give him an ego-check. And if they DID, that was a colossal error on their part.

Saw Michael Smith report this last night.

People are complaining about the pat's not getting enough. In reality, the addition of Vrabel was what made this deal better for the Pats. This was a roster and salary dump. It was nothing to do with the draft pick. They told the Chiefs, we'll take the #34, only if you take Vrabel as well.

If KC maintains the 1.3 in this draft they will most definitely go with O-line.

I certainly hope so.

Thigpen thrived in a non-standard offensive scheme under another coaching staff. Nobody thinks he'd do as well in a base offense.

And this non-standard offense only generated a few wins. It's a goner.

Agreed

I heard its Vrabrel and Cassel for the 2nd rounder - #34. Makes no sense to me. There has to be more involved here. Unless the pats really didn't think Cassel had much value.

???

Maybe they did think this was his value.

It will be interesting to see Cassels contract.

Yeah, its going to be hugh I imagine.

If KC got Vrabel and Cassell for our 2nd pick only ... that is a great trade.

Especially if KC can flip Cassell to (say) TB for a pick or player or two, that'd be great! ...maybe move Cassell to CAR for Peppers?

I agree its a good trade, you have a GM who knows the player and all his intangibles. I'd be shocked to see them turning this into a different deal trading Cassell.

Awwwww...Poor wittle Jay got his wittle feewings huwt? hahahahahaha...I love it.

:wacko:

I actually think this is pretty fair for both teams. Vrabel is just about finished. Cassel is IMO, a one-year wonder. A system QB. BUT, he might not be. Or the Chiefs think they can transplant the NE system. Regardless, all they had to do was give up a second round pick? Well worth the risk. The Pats clear a TON of cap space. They aren't forced to sign Cassel to a long term deal. They don't lose him for nothing. And they get a high second rounder. It's win-win.

Unfortunately this was my take as well, system QB, but Pioli knows his new leader so I have to trust he is making a great move for the franchise. The Pats made this trade the way they did because they were comfortable dealing with Pioli and that is why it makes a win-win.

Hahhahahaa!! An absolute steal by the Pats. Thigpen is the better QB. Cassell will be cut and backing up Tom Brady by this time next year.

Really? I think that line of thought is a little premature :wacko:

Great deal for the Chiefs (unfortunately), but it's been reported that the Bucs/Lions were offering more for just Cassel... I still don't get why they settled for so much less than what was being offered.

Oh, another thing... no way do I believe Denver dangled Cutler just to give him an ego-check. And if they DID, that was a colossal error on their part.

Because they were comfortable in dealings with Scott? Maybe they both agreed on the value of Cassell.

Saw Michael Smith report this last night.

People are complaining about the pat's not getting enough. In reality, the addition of Vrabel was what made this deal better for the Pats. This was a roster and salary dump. It was nothing to do with the draft pick. They told the Chiefs, we'll take the #34, only if you take Vrabel as well.

Possibly, and that's fine really. The Chiefs get a locker room leader and a veteran LB who can help teach the new defensive scheme. The Chiefs have a ton of cap space and that made this deal pretty easy for them.

Edited by Hat Trick

Couldn't they have just cut Vrabel if that were the case? Also, if another team was offering a #1 and a #2, I'm sure taking Vrabel as well, or in exchange for that #2, is STILL a better deal, right?

They did not want to cut a guy who was a major cog in past Championships. Cutting Vrabel would have been insulting, this way they can trade him and he can retire or whatever he wants to do, on someone else's roster. Or maybe come back if he wants on a one day contract to retire a Patriot.

As far as the picks, I don't think they wanted that many more picks. The pats usually target areas of the draft where they think they can get the players they want. A deal for a 1 and a 2 would have left them with 2 1sts and 3 2nds, and that's a lot of salary to pay to rookies if they kept them all. Sure they could have dealt them, but this deal was more what they were looking for. And from what Smith said, nobody else was willing to take Vrabel.

You're also assuming someone was offering a 1 and a 2. We're hearing Cutler being thrown into the mix in a three way deal, etc. Not tlikely in a scenario like that, that they could have come out with a 1 and a 2 net gain.

Possibly, and that's fine really. The Chiefs get a locker room leader and a veteran LB who can help teach the new defensive scheme. The Chiefs have a ton of cap space and that made this deal pretty easy for them.

Exactly, nobody else was willing to take Vrabel. He fits the scheme that will be run, he's a veteran where one is needed, and they have the cap space to take both salaries on at the same time, close to $20 mill.

Didn't he sign with Miami or something?

Last I heard he was narrowing between BUF and MIA, but, yes, Czar, he may have foolishly signed with Miami without consulting me. :wacko:

Last I heard he was narrowing between BUF and MIA, but, yes, Czar, he may have foolishly signed with Miami without consulting me. :wacko:

Last I heard, somebody told Coles that Chad has a king size bed and the left side is always cold. He was on a plane to Miami within the hour.

Couldn't they have just cut Vrabel if that were the case? Also, if another team was offering a #1 and a #2, I'm sure taking Vrabel as well, or in exchange for that #2, is STILL a better deal, right?

im pretty sure they saved extra money buy trading vrabel rather than cutting him

also...local radio/tv guy mike felger keeps insisting that vrabel was sent packing because he is union player rep...and hes made comments about how the owners wont open up their books to the union...and of course bob kraft is a pretty influential owner....

would seem like a pretty silly reason to me....and of course you must remember that vrabel did a weekly segment on felgers show so im sure felger thinks they are buddy/buddy

Jay Mariotti wants the whole deal investigated by Goodell. :wacko:

link

Presumably because a pulled pork sandwich wasn't available from Arthur Bryant's barbecue joint, the New England Patriots settled for a mere second-round draft pick in a blockbuster trade with Kansas City. Sorry, but something smells here, and it's not the beans and potato salad. In fact, I'm interrupting an offseason weekend at the NFL offices to make an announcement:

"Paging Roger Goodell, Roger Goodell! Bill Belichick is at it again!''

The key here is Vrabel. No other team would take the extra $5 mill for one year left on a 34 yeard old OLB contract. It's business. Think about the difference between trading Vrabel and keeping him and having another 1st-2nd round pick's contract to pay. We're talking a $7-$8 million dollar swing there.

link

According to Haley, Cassel and Thigpen will compete to be the starter.

“I don’t know that you can say the quarterback position is secure,” Haley said Monday in his first public statement since the trade was made. “I think we’ve got another guy to come in and compete for the starting quarterback position.

“I just got off the phone with Tyler. I told him I’m a very selfish coach. I think that’s evident by Arizona and what we did there. We’re going to play the guys that give us the best chance to win.”

link

According to Haley, Cassel and Thigpen will compete to be the starter.

I listened to that press conference yesterday, and while he did say those things, his tone wasn't necessarily there will be an open QB battle.

Remember, there's a good chance that Cassell gets renegotiated before the season starts. Local radio were kicking this around yesterday that Pioli and Haley both don't want to give Cassell's agent any more leverage by suggesting publicly that they are ga-ga over their "franchise quarterback".