[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cassel move to KC.

Capt. Waffle

This is a connect the dots type deal, #1 This was a move to get nicely under the cap, which should be about 19 mill under now for the Pats, #2 The lone AFC team on Peppers list of four is obviously NE who play a 3-4, #3 They can give up the 23rd 1st round pick now because they have the 34th 2nd round pick from KC, and thier "target" most likely will still be there at #34, or they could offer the 23rd and the 34th-best guess is their 1st and 3rd . #4 Moving Vrabel clears up a LB spot which Peppers wants to play. So, I would not be surprised to see this deal go down this week between NE and Car, plus the Panthers could throw Lucas in the deal as well for say a 5th round pick. Then again...who knows???? Links...no, just the ramblings of an off-season mind.

Panthers beat writer Darin Gantt suggests that the Patriots might be clearing cap room with an eye on making a run at Carolina franchise player Julius Peppers.

Gantt admits it's a conspiracy theory, but notes that New England gained considerable space with Saturday's Matt Cassel trade. Peppers wants to play OLB in a 3-4 and the Pats need one of those after trading Mike Vrabel. The Pats have ample ammo with the 23rd, 34th, 47th and 58th picks in the draft.

Well, ths was on rotoworld.com.....at 11:58 am.......Gantt is trolling me!!!

NE decided to play chicken with Cassel and KC let them off the hook. It would have been nice to see the Pats strangled by so much of their cap space dedicated to one position - especially since one of the QBs has to be riding the pines while it happened. That's probably why NE took a 2nd rounder for Cassel & Vrabel.

In any case, I'm not sold on Cassel and think the move could blow up in KC's face. I also think NE ws damn lucky to find a sucker at a decent price and agree that this was a cap clearing move. I'd expect to see them make a play on an unhappy vet shortly.

I think the Panthers would be forced to take that deal if offered, they are being strangled by that franchise $$ that Peppers will command. They are completely handcuffed in free agency until they move Pep. Plus I really doubt they can unload Lucas on anybody. He's counting 8 million against the cap this season I believe.

I think the Panthers would be forced to take that deal if offered, they are being strangled by that franchise $$ that Peppers will command. They are completely handcuffed in free agency until they move Pep. Plus I really doubt they can unload Lucas on anybody. He's counting 8 million against the cap this season I believe.

I believe it's 3.3 mill this year for Lucas.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...ats#articleFull

Hmmmm......Peppers for NE's 1st round pick (23rd) and Seymour??????

I like the concept, but this doesn't solve the Pat's problem. Sure, Peppers could play OLB, but then who plays DE? Jarvis Green is not a full time player and Peppers is not a 3-4 DE.

If Carolina will take the 23 and a 3rd, sure, let's get it done right now...

• 2 weeks later...

With the Panthers freeing up close to 17 mill in cap space, plus the Lucas cut, they will have around 20-21 mill in cap space now, it would be nice to see them bring Tory Holt aboard, though with Moose and Jarret not so sure a WR is needed, nonetheless, they will have some cash for late FA's and the rookies.