[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants sign C.C. Brown

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/20...n.html#comments

not sure on how much of an IDP impact he will make, but he becomes the 3rd safety on the roster and would seem to see some significant playing time.

March 4, 2009

Giants sign C.C. Brown

Update: 4:50 p.m.

The Giants continued to strengthen their defense today by signing safety C.C. Brown - - their fourth defensive free agent since the market opened on Friday.

Brown (6-foot, 208) was a starter all four years he was with the Houston Texans, though he only appeared in three games last year before he broke his right forearm. His agent said he’s recovered from surgery and was cleared to play back in December.

He obviously passed his physical with the Giants, and figures to be their replacement for James Butler, who is expected to leave via free agency (most likely to St. Louis). According to his agent, Brown only signed a one-year deal.

“Brown is a physical player who will come down to the line of scrimmage,” Tom Coughlin said in a statement released by the Giants. “He has made the calls in the secondary and can get people lined up. With the situation that we have with James Butler, there is a need to go ahead and create the competitiveness that is necessary for everyone to reach their full potential. I think adding C.C. Brown is bringing us closer to that.”

“C.C. is a young veteran safety,” GM Jerry Reese added. “He is a physical player who has played a lot of football in this league in his short career. We expect him to come in and create great competition at this position and strengthen it as well.”

Brown played both free and strong safety in Houston, which is good since the Giants’ two safety positions have been interchangeable in the defense the last few years. He said his main goal in free agency was “to get to a winning team and be part of a winning environment.” He also seemed understandably anxious to get back on the field after missing the final three months of last season.

“(My arm) is back to normal,” Brown said. “I’m ready to get out there, run around, and hit people.”

The Giants also signed their first offensive free agent — tight end Lee Vickers. The 6-6, 279-pounder was in camp with the Steelers in 2006, spent two weeks on the Eagles practice squad and then played with the Baltimore Ravens. He was in camp with the Ravens last summer before becoming one of the final cuts.

Vickers was a defensive end at North Alabama. Before that he was a pitcher at Calhoun Community College, before transferring. When he first got to North Alabama he was a walk-on quarterback.

“He converted to tight end and he has good hands,” Coughlin said. “I think we can get some versatility out of him as a blocker and a short-range receiver, but also on special teams. He’s pretty good in the wedge.”

The Giants also reportedly worked out former Titans tight end Ben Troupe today, but they did not sign him.

More than likely a non-factor for the G-men.

That does ink the young Brandon Harrison as the SS and an average Eugene Wilson at FS for the Texans. I think they'll be in the market for a free agent and will also address this in the draft. Harrison has some talent - I believe I spotlit him in my post NFL Draft IDP Sleeper Report - and could have some value next season if he holds the starting gig.

More than likely a non-factor for the G-men.

That does ink the young Brandon Harrison as the SS and an average Eugene Wilson at FS for the Texans. I think they'll be in the market for a free agent and will also address this in the draft. Harrison has some talent - I believe I spotlit him in my post NFL Draft IDP Sleeper Report - and could have some value next season if he holds the starting gig.

Dominique Barber...........pay attention :wacko:

Edited by Ziachild007

Dominique Barber...........pay attention :D

You think he can actually hold that spot? The charts I tend to rely on still have him as a part-timer... but we'll see. Of course, these sites could be vastly out of date... :wacko:

I actually like Harrison a lot. I think he's a heady player with just enough athletic talent to make a splash.

You think he can actually hold that spot? The charts I tend to rely on still have him as a part-timer... but we'll see. Of course, these sites could be vastly out of date... :wacko:

I actually like Harrison a lot. I think he's a heady player with just enough athletic talent to make a splash.

Sure, I don't see why not. He was pretty good at Minnesota. My charts might not be right either, but I figured Gary Kubiak might have a little insight on the whole thing. :D He has said nothing but good things about him, sorta like he did with Zach Diles two seasons ago.

:D

Brooke Bentley (Texans TV): What are your thoughts on rookie Dominique Barber? What kind of potential does he have at safety? (Kyle Mitchell)

Gary Kubiak: I think he made a lot of progress this year and he was a contributor in the second half of the season, and that’s very important. I think he has the ability to be a starting safety in this league, but it’s up to him to take the next step. I had a good visit with him today. He understands that. The good thing about him, he goes home and gets the same thing from his dad, so I expect him to come back better.

I like Harrison and wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot either. However, they did re-sign Nick Ferguson yesterday as well so epect there to be some good competition for the SS spot.

Sure, I don't see why not. He was pretty good at Minnesota. My charts might not be right either, but I figured Gary Kubiak might have a little insight on the whole thing. :D He has said nothing but good things about him, sorta like he did with Zach Diles two seasons ago.

:wacko:

I like Harrison and wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot either. However, they did re-sign Nick Ferguson yesterday as well so epect there to be some good competition for the SS spot.

Should be a pretty productive season for the Texan IDPs IMO.