[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leinart

Jackass

Just curious if anyone has any thought on Leinart. I know a lot of people think he sux, and he may. It seems like to some extent he's never gotten a real chance. He did get beat out by a pretty darn good qb after all. Perhaps he's better than some teams current options though? or not? I think his contract is relatively inexpensive so the Cards will probably hold onto him. But I'm trying to think outside the box and maybe trying to take a flier and deal for in a dynasty league (wouldn't give up too much...)

Just curious if anyone has any thought on Leinart. I know a lot of people think he sux, and he may. It seems like to some extent he's never gotten a real chance. He did get beat out by a pretty darn good qb after all. Perhaps he's better than some teams current options though? or not? I think his contract is relatively inexpensive so the Cards will probably hold onto him. But I'm trying to think outside the box and maybe trying to take a flier and deal for in a dynasty league (wouldn't give up too much...)

As a`Leinart fan. I think the signing was dumb to do. QB's get better with real starts. Nothing like live action. This team is young enough to learn on the fly and get better has time goes on. We have seen what Flacco and Ryan and a few others can do when they are thrown to the wolves. Or even when you give a guy like Rodgers a chance to start after a long wait. This team is at a perfect time for this transition and more so with what they have at their disposal and age of the WR's. I personally hope Leinart gets his chance in Zonia some kind of way before he is moved. Kurt Warner is good don't get me wrong. But at 38 years old he could be like the next Trent Green in a flash and thats two years and cash that could have been directed else where.

I'm incredibly onery tonite, and it's only a half moon....but a young, seemingly talented USC QB who gets supplanted by a near 40 yr old QB, all the while partying it up like a frat boy, sporting his flabby arms and all, no work ethic can only blame himself on his demise

As a`Leinart fan. I think the signing was dumb to do. QB's get better with real starts. Nothing like live action. This team is young enough to learn on the fly and get better has time goes on. We have seen what Flacco and Ryan and a few others can do when they are thrown to the wolves. Or even when you give a guy like Rodgers a chance to start after a long wait. This team is at a perfect time for this transition and more so with what they have at their disposal and age of the WR's. I personally hope Leinart gets his chance in Zonia some kind of way before he is moved. Kurt Warner is good don't get me wrong. But at 38 years old he could be like the next Trent Green in a flash and thats two years and cash that could have been directed else where.

Gotta disagree here: Super Bowl windows are short opportunities in the NFL and the Cards clearly have theirs open - with Warner. With Leinert, it might close and never reopen. Warner's age makes it easy for them: he's there a year or two max. If they can't pull it off, then they can retool with Leinert and rework their WRs issues at that point. Their backfield looks like it'll be okay during the next few seasons, it's the passing game I wouldn't touch.

Not to many trade offers coming in for Leinart - but I think I will hang on to him in my dynasty leagues. His value can only go up from here. Perhaps he will get a crack next year.....He definately needs to get his head on straight though. Grow up and be somewhat responsible. :wacko:

I'm incredibly onery tonite, and it's only a half moon....but a young, seemingly talented USC QB who gets supplanted by a near 40 yr old QB, all the while partying it up like a frat boy, sporting his flabby arms and all, no work ethic can only blame himself on his demise

Likely, he'll end up in as a d-list celebrity on a d-list reality TV show - didn't pay enough attention when the only class he took in a year at USC was Ballroom Dancing, so he won't make "dancing with the stars" ... likely one of the MTV "House of Hos" kinda thang.

This guy has the best job in the world right now. He got a six year contract back in 06 for 50 million dollars, with 14 million guaranteed. So basically he gets paid to party all week and then get an awesome seat for football on Sunday. Why would he want to go anywhere?

I think he's going to get his chance at redemption and my gut feeling is he does well. I thought he was improving before he got hurt a couple years ago. He'll get his shot at being a starter again.

He will get a shot somewhere....probably not Arizona. He will also fail. Another waste of a number one pick, similar to Alex Smith.

This guy has the best job in the world right now. He got a six year contract back in 06 for 50 million dollars, with 14 million guaranteed. So basically he gets paid to party all week and then get an awesome seat for football on Sunday. Why would he want to go anywhere?

Exactly, and then get exposed as a bad qb. Enjoy the ride Matt. Hopefully he put all his money into Citygroup.

From what I've seen, the guy doesn't have it. He doesn't make reads nearly fast enough, can't get rid of the ball, and throws without any confidence or zip when he does throw it. From what we've seen, he will never make it in this league. At the same time, after Matt Hasselbeck's first five starts, you would have thought he had two years or less before he would be out of the league. Who knows?

• 4 months later...

well this may begin to answer this question:

edited to post in text:

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - Will Matt Leinart's(notes) freefall continue?

A year ago, the 2006 first-round pick and Heisman Trophy winner was the No. 1 quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals going into training camp before he was beaten out for the job by veteran Kurt Warner(notes).

With Warner fresh off having led the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl, Leinart (at right) is not even competing for the No. 1 job anymore. But he is still competing. Arizona brought back veteran backup Brian St. Pierre(notes) and promised him a chance to compete with Leinart for the No. 2 job.

That's stunning considering that the 29-year-old St. Pierre has thrown all of one pass in six years. St. Pierre was a fifth-round draft pick by Pittsburgh in 2003. While some people believe the promise to St. Pierre by coach Ken Whisenhunt was an empty ploy, two sources indicated that the threat is very real for Leinart and that he needs to improve his game and show better mental toughness.

Both sources also rolled their eyes when asked about Leinart's offseason MMA training, which was advertised as a way to improve Leinart's toughness.

As for Leinart, he took the news in stride.

"Everybody has to compete for a job out there," Leinart said. "I'm not worried about it. I'm going to keep doing my thing."

Edited by Jackass

Right now all you can really say is that Leinart had been an incredible bust. Maybe not all his fault but a bust all the same.

Kind of hard to go that far, DMD.

As loyalboyd mentioned, a young QB needs to play. That's how he gets better. OK...so Leinart didn't win the starting job a couple of years ago out of TC as a rookie. Training camp? This team gave him a whole training camp to hold off an accomplished veteran (although Warner hadn't accomplished much in the couple of seasons prior to that, granted)?

Warner has been magnificent the past season and two-thirds; not many existing signal callers would have beaten him out. But at this point, it is fair to say that Leinart still needs the opportunity to play first, then we can fairly judge him.