[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago Tribune Mock

gilthorp

Dan Pompei is the primary NFL writer for the Chicago Tribune. Here is his latest mock.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0...0,7298742.story

1. Lions: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

2. Rams: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

3. Chiefs: Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

4. Seahawks: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

5. Browns: Brian Orakpo, OLB, Texas

6. Bengals: M. Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

7. Raiders: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

8. Jaguars: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

9. Packers: Rey Maualuga, LB, USC

10. 49ers: Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

11. Bills: Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State

12. Broncos: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

13. Redskins: Brian Cushing, LB, USC

14. Saints: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia

15. Texans: Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi

16. Chargers: Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois

17. Jets: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland

18. BEARS: Eben Britton, OT, Arizona

19. Bucs: Percy Harvin, WR, Florida

20. a-Lions: Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

21. Eagles: Beanie Wells, RB, Ohio State

22. Vikings: Alex Mack, C, California

23. Patriots: Aaron Maybin, OLB, Penn State

24. Falcons: James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

25. Dolphins: Larry English, OLB, N. Illinois

26. Ravens: Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers

27. Colts: Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

28. b-Eagles: Louis Delmas, S, W. Michigan

29. Giants: Hakeem Nicks, WR, N. Carolina

30. Titans: Evander Hood, DT, Missouri

31. Cardinals: Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

32. Steelers: Clay Matthews, LB, USC

a-from Cowboys; b-from Panthers

Hey Big John, I'll bet you like this pick a little more than that CBS mock that Randall posted earlier.

I like the Packers pick better but doubt he'll go to a 3-4. Sanchez to Seattle?

Cushing to the Skins and Moreno to the Saints? Oher to the Lions and Curry to the Chiefs look nice. Everette Brown(Colts) has been dropping.

I like mocks for discussion.

**IF** the Chiefs stay in that spot they will go O-Line, ICDHO.

They have to protect Cassell, and by going with tackle there they can lock up both tackle positions for the next 10 years.

I put the odds of the Chiefs staying in that position at 30%.

**IF** the Chiefs stay in that spot they will go O-Line, ICDHO.

They have to protect Cassell, and by going with tackle there they can lock up both tackle positions for the next 10 years.

I put the odds of the Chiefs staying in that position at 30%.

That's probably the smart move even though Curry looks great. Pioli has been good at picking linemen later.

Edited by Randall

This guy has no clue. Two QB's int the first four picks? LMAO.

When looking at these mocks, look to what the moron has the Jets taking at 17. If he has a WR or QB there, he's is throwing darts, selecting what HE thinks the Jets need. NOT what the Jets will pick. Look at what they did in FA. They let Coles and Baker go. They signed Sheppard, Scott and Leonhard. ALL defense. Now, they will turn around anf go offense in the draft? LMAO. This guy is throwing darts.

Edited by Rovers

Not to belabor anything, but this is not going to happen.

I thought about coming on and blasting this pick as well, but I'm starting to realize that the pick makes a lot more sense than it looks like on the surface.

The Seahawks have already filled three of their biggest holes by franchising Hill, signing Housh, and signing a DT (Cole?).

Their next biggest needs IMO are guard, safety and tailback. Those players simply aren't there at the top of the draft, or aren't worth taking that high.

IMO that leaves the Hawks some room to think outside the box with the #4 pick. I'm admittedly in the bag for Hasselbeck, but even I have to admit that his health has been a major problem for this team over the past few years.

Maybe Mora wants to build around his own handpicked QB. Maybe the front office thinks Matt is falling off. Maybe they think Sanchez is the next coming.

I certainly don't think it will happen either, but I couldn't say definitively that it absolutely will not, especially with Crabtree's issues. If not a QB, who are they going to take? We're running out of names here. They could take a tackle, but he won't play left tackle for at least 2 years, maybe longer. I sure wouldn't pay a guy that much money to play out of position and wait. I really don't have a feel for this pick. I was the first one ruling out a QB pick months back, but I don't think it is that hard to see the scenario where it happens.

Eagles taking a WR AND a RB in the 1st

:wacko::D:D

They're combined weight is probably less than 1 of the guys they will actually pick.

The rest of the mock looked iffy too IMO

But it was interesting

RB & WR! :D

Pompei is also the guy who picked the Lions to win the Superbowl a few years ago for the Sporting News. :wacko:

Lionhearted

Sporting News, The , August 28, 2000 by Dan Pompei

Last April we told you that Detroit would win the Super Bowl. That's our pick, and we're sticking with it. We've get our reasons--and here they are.

Why is it that picking the Lions to win the Super Bowl has left us feeling like a walnut, out on a limb? We originally made the pick in April, and we're sticking with it (at least until the Lions fall behind by three points in the first quarter of their first game). Call us crazy, but not fickle. Say what you will about the Buccaneers, Redskins and Rams, the trendy Super Bowl picks. Our Super Bowl pick was the only team to beat all three last year, and one of only three teams that beat the Super Bowl champion Rams.

It also was the only team in the NFL that beat four division winners. Plus, it made a major ffree-agent acquisition--running back James Stewart-to shore up a weakness.

The Lions ended up 9-7 that year with Bobby Ross quitting after 9 games.

Edited by Puddy

I certainly don't think it will happen either, but I couldn't say definitively that it absolutely will not, especially with Crabtree's issues. If not a QB, who are they going to take? We're running out of names here. They could take a tackle, but he won't play left tackle for at least 2 years, maybe longer. I sure wouldn't pay a guy that much money to play out of position and wait. I really don't have a feel for this pick. I was the first one ruling out a QB pick months back, but I don't think it is that hard to see the scenario where it happens.

For the money they'd have to pay a #4 pick, I'd rather have Eugene Monroe sitting on the right side for two years than Mark Sanchez holding a clipboard.

I've been thinking the Hawks would trade the pick since the draft boards have been kind of setting themselves up. If there is a great deal of difference between Monroe, Jason Smith, or Michael Oher, I see them taking the one that suits their fancy. Otherwise, I believe they might suit their needs better by trading down for an extra pick or two and snare a big body on either side of the line in the middle of the 1st Round, and have options for later picks.

4. Seahawks: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

Unless this guy knows something about a degenerative condition Hasselback has incurred, this pick defies logic. Crabtree is a possibility if managment concludes the guy is a can't miss. As GTS, has pointed out, there are 3 O-lineman that could come in and start playing right away.

Look at what they did in FA. They let Coles and Baker go. They signed Sheppard, Scott and Leonhard. ALL defense. Now, they will turn around anf go offense in the draft? LMAO. This guy is throwing darts.

Don't drink and post.

Sanchez at 1.04 is pretty funny though.

When looking at these mocks, look to what the moron has the Jets taking at 17. If he has a WR or QB there, he's is throwing darts, selecting what HE thinks the Jets need. NOT what the Jets will pick. Look at what they did in FA. They let Coles and Baker go. They signed Sheppard, Scott and Leonhard. ALL defense. Now, they will turn around anf go offense in the draft? LMAO. This guy is throwing darts.

This is the second time I've seen you disparage a WR pick by the Jets. Your logic is that they gave away their top WR in FA and then made their impact signings at LB, CB, & S.

It seems to me that logic would dictate that if they don't address losing one of their top O playmakers to FA and then emphasize D in their own FA signings that they intend to address O in the draft. That makes perfect sense (conceding that common sense is something the Jets are not noted for on draft day).

Who's going to step into Coles' role? Stuckey? Smith? Clowney? If that's your thoughts, the Jets' passing game is in for a looooooooooong year this coming season.

This guy has no clue. Two QB's int the first four picks? LMAO.

Donald Brown?

NFL Network's Mike Mayock calls UConn RB Donald Brown a first-round pick.

"I had Donald Brown as my second-best back coming into the combine," said Mayock. "He's legit. The combine just underscored what I saw on tape." Unless the Cardinals or Eagles select him late in the first round, Brown will likely have to wait until the second.

Source: USAToday.com

This is the second time I've seen you disparage a WR pick by the Jets. Your logic is that they gave away their top WR in FA and then made their impact signings at LB, CB, & S.

It seems to me that logic would dictate that if they don't address losing one of their top O playmakers to FA and then emphasize D in their own FA signings that they intend to address O in the draft. That makes perfect sense (conceding that common sense is something the Jets are not noted for on draft day).

Who's going to step into Coles' role? Stuckey? Smith? Clowney? If that's your thoughts, the Jets' passing game is in for a looooooooooong year this coming season.

Coles has not been anything to write home about. He is one concussion away from hanging out with Chrebet at the nuerological rehab clinic. The Jets remaining CS hold overs are on record as saying they simply could not understand why Clowney was not allowed to play last year... Mangini kept him inactive for reasons that remain unexplained.

Ryan has telegraphed what his plan is. He wants an attack defense that scores points and gets tons of turnovers. He will continue to build the D, while having already decided to go with either Clemmens or Ratliff. Other than T Jones, the Jets will be an offensive FF wasteland.

The Jets will go D in the draft. They will likely go CB in the first, especially if V Davis is there. I would look for an RB and a WR later in the draft, but not likely in the first two rounds, although an RB in the second could happen.

Sanchez? LMAO. Even if he slipped, the Jets would look to trade down.

Ryan wants to build the best defense in the NFL. There are other options available at WR, but I am not going to mention them until my dynasty leagues are set.... some secrets are better kept as secrets. Take that or leave it... makes no dif to me. :wacko:

Coles has not been anything to write home about. He is one concussion away from hanging out with Chrebet at the nuerological rehab clinic. The Jets remaining CS hold overs are on record as saying they simply could not understand why Clowney was not allowed to play last year... Mangini kept him inactive for reasons that remain unexplained.

Wow. That's kind of flippant for a guy who was responsible for 38% of WR receptions, 39% of WR receiving yards, and 47%of WR TDs last year.

While I agree that Coles is best suited as a #2 WR in the NFL, that's still a lot of production to replace with no one on the roster other than Cotchery showing even remotely that he can play at that kind of level.

BTW - don't get me wrong, your knowledge of the Jets is second to none in my opinion and you have put forth some outstanding information. But it appears to me that there is currently a glaring hole in the Jets' WR corps right now. That's a lot to ask to have Clowney go from a 1 catch guy in 2008 to filling Coles' shoes in 1 year.

Edited by Bronco Billy

For the money they'd have to pay a #4 pick, I'd rather have Eugene Monroe sitting on the right side for two years than Mark Sanchez holding a clipboard.

I've been thinking the Hawks would trade the pick since the draft boards have been kind of setting themselves up. If there is a great deal of difference between Monroe, Jason Smith, or Michael Oher, I see them taking the one that suits their fancy. Otherwise, I believe they might suit their needs better by trading down for an extra pick or two and snare a big body on either side of the line in the middle of the 1st Round, and have options for later picks.

For the money you would have to pay a left tackle plus the money you would have to eat by cutting Locklear just about has to equal the money of Sanchez. Our tackles are two of the best players on our offense. I think spending 40 million on another one is completely ridiculous. Two years from now, yes, definitely, but right now that just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We were 4-12 last year. We are now old and overpaid. Selecting a tackle that may never play left tackle during his time here isn't going to make a huge difference. We need a splash!!!! The one thing we cannot do is waste this pick, and I'm afraid a tackle may do just that.

I'd love to trade down as well, but there just isn't the history there of teams trading up and taking on top-5 money.

Edited by Seahawks21

Wow. That's kind of flippant for a guy who was responsible for 38% of WR receptions, 39% of WR receiving yards, and 47%of WR TDs last year.

While I agree that Coles is best suited as a #2 WR in the NFL, that's still a lot of production to replace with no one on the roster other than Cotchery showing even remotely that he can play at that kind of level.

BTW - don't get me wrong, your knowledge of the Jets is second to none in my opinion and you have put forth some outstanding information. But it appears to me that there is currently a glaring hole in the Jets' WR corps right now. That's a lot to ask to have Clowney go from a 1 catch guy in 2008 to filling Coles' shoes in 1 year.

The numbers you posted for Coels? They are pretty close to the drop in passing stats I expect to see in 2009. 25%, 25% and 35% reductions in receptions, recieving yards and passing TD's should be expected. Favre is gone... it's Ratliff or Clemmens. Another WR will only pick up half of that production, if not less. Cotchery will fill Coles' shoes. Stuckey and Clowney will get the rest, but the rest won't be much. I also think Leon Washington will get some more time as the slot reciever. Look for Keller's numbers to almost double in his second year.

This offense is going to be ugly. Coles started to have an increase in drops last year too. There will be a replacement for Coles, at least in terms of his roster spot, but it may come from an unexpected place. I'm not sure that Brad Smith will even make the team. If he does, it will be at ST's coach Westoff's insistance. He is not worth a roster spot when it comes to regular offensive plays. Westoff has a ST's ace in W Wright, yet another WR. I am not sure Ryan lets him keep two ST's WR's on this roster.