[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

I would love to see the QBs fall to better teams in the draft like this has turned out...

Nothing better than pocketing a franchise QB on your DTS for a season or two...

I've had Russell for 2 or 3 years but it seems like 5.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love and hate the Raji pick for the Raiders.

On the plus side. It's not cool, it's not sexy, but it's functional and it fits a huge need for the Raiders. If they draft a WR with JMarc throwing and that line blocking it's a risky pick in my opinion

On the negative side...does any top 20 DT work out?

Dorsey/Ellis = very average, Ellis slightly better with the 4 sacks, but not an impact player, certainly a lot of room for both players to grow though.

Okoye = Improved this year, but still not making the tackle numbers you'd hope to see

Ngata/Bunkley = Who? Yeah they haven't been good and were both top 20 draft picks

T Johnson = Top 20 DT pick and not starting

T Harris = A very solid NFL DT, Had 8 sacks one year and 43 tackles most recently, 3 time all pro

D Robertson/J Sullivan/J Kennedy: Cut, Cut, Washout...

Now if you go deeper than 2003 you start to see some winners, but I started to get lazy, yes the draft is a crapshoot, but it has always seemed like the DT position more specifically has been.

Net Net = Right move for the Raiders to make, but damn, does it give me a stomach ache if they do it if I'm a Raider fan...

WashD

Edited by WashingtonD

Ngata/Bunkley = Who? Yeah they haven't been good and were both top 20 draft picks

You're kidding right? These two anchor their defenses and have a massive presence on their line.

Haloti Ngata is one of the major reasons reasons the Ravens LBs are so scary, and Bunkley takes up two offesnive linemen so Cole can make the big plays...

While I would love to get a bit more from the seventh overall pick, it wouldn't be anything close to a bust with Ngata/Bunkley production from Raji.

You're absoluteley right though - it is by no means a sexy pick. There is no fan attraction in bringing in a defensive tackle with the seventh overall pick.

Raiders have had more busts from flashy positions than any Raider fan would like to admit. I'd have no problem passing on a sexy player to get a ten year anchor on that defensive line.

Edited by kpholmes

You're kidding right? These two anchor their defenses and have a massive presence on their line.

Haloti Ngata is one of the major reasons reasons the Ravens LBs are so scary, and Bunkley takes up two offesnive linemen so Cole can make the big plays...

While I would love to get a bit more from the seventh overall pick, it wouldn't be anything close to a bust with Ngata/Bunkley production from Raji.

I agree with this and when I first read WashingtonD's post these were my exact thoughts. I can't remember how many times I read or heard about the successes of the Ravens' LBers and how much of that hinged on the fact that the opposing O-lines could never reach them because of the great job that guys like Ngata and Kelly Gregg did by sucking up double teams. Same goes for guys like Bunkley, Haynesworth and if Raji can be anything like that, then the Raiders got themselves a winner and will certainly be taking steps in the right direction toward making their defense a bit more stout.

Totally fair on Ngata/Bunkley

Their play and size certainly has reverberations throughout the defenses that they support and both have improved significantly (if not always statistically) from very average rookie seasons.

Like I said, I love it and I hate it. It's the right functional pick for the Raiders to build (slowly) around, but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous...makes me want to run a position analysis on top 20 draft picks by position versus how many are starters/how many are pro bowlers, to see if there are certain positions that are more predictable than others.

WashD

Their play and size certainly has reverberations throughout the defenses that they support and both have improved significantly (if not always statistically) from very average rookie seasons.

Like I said, I love it and I hate it. It's the right functional pick for the Raiders to build (slowly) around, but that doesn't mean it's not dangerous...makes me want to run a position analysis on top 20 draft picks by position versus how many are starters/how many are pro bowlers, to see if there are certain positions that are more predictable than others.

WashD

I would appreciate it if you would do that before our rookie drafts...thanks in advance :wacko:

On the negative side...does any top 20 DT work out?

Dorsey/Ellis = very average, Ellis slightly better with the 4 sacks, but not an impact player, certainly a lot of room for both players to grow though.

Okoye = Improved this year, but still not making the tackle numbers you'd hope to see

T Johnson = Top 20 DT pick and not starting

T Harris = A very solid NFL DT, Had 8 sacks one year and 43 tackles most recently, 3 time all pro

D Robertson/J Sullivan/J Kennedy: Cut, Cut, Washout...

Ellis was a lot better than very average. And Tommie Harris when healthy is a dominant player in the NFL Much better than very solid. DT's aren't supposed to put up pretty numbers. They swallow offensive lineman and allow other players to make plays.

WashD

It really comes down to whether you expect statistical production or not from a defensive tackle. Not every tackle is Albert Haynesworth.

If we could get a tackle on that line that could take out a center AND guard on every play, it would allow Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard (and his 4.40 speed), and Derrick Burgess to really do some special things.... Had this been the case last season, Gibril Wilson would also still be a Raider.

As it is right now, we have our linebackers gettieg tied up by offensive tackles at the second level because our defensive line can't seem to handle anybody. I can't tell you how many times I saw our safeties get flat backed by offensive lineman ten yards downfield. This shouldn't be happening.

With a talented defensive line, you lock up the offensive line and keep them in place (or push them back ideally... but let's not push our luck) so you can keep the space open for your talented players to make plays. People like Troy Polomalu, Ray Lewis, and Brian Dawkins make all of their phenominal plays in space because the offensive line is tied up and they have room to work.

Like I said... if Raji can anchor that line and keep offensive lines from moving, I'm content.

I decided on Michael Crabtree for the Bengals.There weren't any defenders at this point I deemed worthy of the pick,and I had to decide on need or BPA.I decided to take the guy who is rated #1 on many boards rather than select the 3rd or 4th best OL with this pick.We do have other needs,but there was no way I could pass on Crabtree after he slid to the sixth spot.

Carson Palmer will have his eventual replacement for Chad Johnson.The Bengals will address their other needs in later rounds,and through (bwahahahahaha) ....free agency.

crabtree would be a horrible pick for the bengals. let's hope you are dead wrong.

crabtree would be a horrible pick for the bengals. let's hope you are dead wrong.

Why? You feel there are more pressing needs and that they have other options at WR with Jerome Simpson and the other guy whose name is on the tip of my tongue and can't recall at the moment?

What happened to Seahawks21?

Don't know, hopefully we find out soon.

Why? You feel there are more pressing needs and that they have other options at WR with Jerome Simpson and the other guy whose name is on the tip of my tongue and can't recall at the moment?

dude, we just signed coles to go along with chad. in addition you have last year's picks, simpson and caldwell. the last thing the bengals need is to waste away a first rounder on another receiver. the team needs linemen period. any other pick is foolish.

dude, we just signed coles to go along with chad. in addition you have last year's picks, simpson and caldwell. the last thing the bengals need is to waste away a first rounder on another receiver. the team needs linemen period. any other pick is foolish.

Totally, forgot about Coles (I keep doing that!) and Caldwell was the other guy I was thinking about. Yeah, with the current situation they have at WR maybe taking Crabtree wasn't using the pick to the fullest. However, if this happens in the real Draft maybe it's a sign of Ocho being on his way out-o and Crabtree being his eventual replacement? And if Crabtree is going to be as great as some think, then it'll be well worth it taking him and filling other needs, such as O-line (although even though there is some talent up top in regard to OT, the group isn't very deep and the same goes for OG where there may not even be a 1st rounder there, there seems to be some good depth at center), later in the draft.

How are those 2 doing? I thought Simpson would take over if Housh left.

Please PM me once the next two picks are taken.

Thanks.

Will do. I want to give Seahawks all the opportunity we can to pick.

How are those 2 doing? I thought Simpson would take over if Housh left.

caldwell showed more promise down the stretch. i think simpson has been battling some nagging injuries.

i actually think chad could take more of the possession receiver role and let the larger coles be the deep threat. i would guess that chad isn't going anywhere as he is still under his recently renegotiated contract.

Will do. I want to give Seahawks all the opportunity we can to pick.

He hasn't been at the site for 36 hours.

And I've been refraining from Reggie Williams jokes too(per his request). :wacko:

I think you should pick for him.

Edited by Randall

caldwell showed more promise down the stretch. i think simpson has been battling some nagging injuries.

i actually think chad could take more of the possession receiver role and let the larger coles be the deep threat. i would guess that chad isn't going anywhere as he is still under his recently renegotiated contract.

Chad is 6'1" 195 lbs

Coles is 5'11" 195 lbs

So Coles may be stockier but not bigger. I also think Chad is faster than Coles. Why would Coles be used as the deep threat guy when Chad filled that role while Housh was here? Housh was always the receptions/over the middle guy while Chad was trying to get deep. To add to that, Caldwell is 6 feet tall and slightly over 200 lbs along with Simpson 6'13/4" and both ran very well in the 40. Caldwell- 4.37 and Simpson 4.43. I see both of them as possible deep threats before Coles and Chris Henry is also on the team, right? He's 6'4" and has made a living going deep. I think Coles is there to fill Housh's role as the primary possession guy. Now could Chad grab some of that action as well with the other younger faster WRs on the team? Sure. But I just don't see Coles as the deep threat guy. He wasn't on the Jets as that was Cotchery's role.

Edited by irish

He hasn't been at the site for 36 hours.

And I've been refraining from Reggie Williams jokes too(per his request). :wacko:

I think you should pick for him.

I'll give him until I get home from work (about 4:30) and then make a selection if he hasn't. I'll even give him the Jets who I was picking for if he wants back in. I know we have plenty of time but I don't want to hold things up as things were moving along nicely yesterday.

Chad is 6'1" 195 lbs

Coles is 5'11" 195 lbs

So Coles may be stockier but not bigger. I also think Chad is faster than Coles. Why would Coles be used as the deep threat guy when Chad filled that role while Housh was here? Housh was always the receptions/over the middle guy while Chad was trying to get deep. To add to that, Caldwell is 6 feet tall and slightly over 200 lbs along with Simpson 6'13/4" and both ran very well in the 40. Caldwell- 4.37 and Simpson 4.43. I see both of them as possible deep threats before Coles and Chris Henry is also on the team, right? He's 6'4" and has made a living going deep. I think Coles is there to fill Housh's role as the primary possession guy. Now could Chad grab some of that action as well with the other younger faster WRs on the team? Sure. But I just don't see Coles as the deep threat guy. He wasn't on the Jets as that was Cotchery's role.

it is surprising to me that chad is listed at 6'1". i guess that could be true but man he looks little. i'm seriously concerned about chad as a deep threat because i think he's lost it. he longest pass this past season was 26 yards. that's his longest for the entire season. his yards per catch dropped from 15.5 to 10.2. injury related? disgruntled? no carson? all possible, but i think he's not the receiver he once was.

and i forgot about henry. even more reason why we don't need another WR.

and i forgot about henry. even more reason why we don't need another WR.

Two receivers that are on the downside of their career,one that was injury prone(Caldwell),and an awesome second round pick (Simpson) that had a whopping one reception on the season(but hey,he's got BIIIIIIIIG hands),and lastly Henry,the very model of dependability,and you have a problem with the pick?A guy that some have rated as possibly the best player in the draft?

Had either of the two OT's I wanted been there,they would have been selected first,but they weren't.Selecting a bone headed Andre Smith with this pick is risky at #6,even though he fits my Bengals normal criteria of bad work ethic and questionable character.

Who would you have selected?