[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BBQ Sauce

KICK A$$ BLASTER

Fellas,

My wife and I had ribs on Saturday night and she asked that I pick up some sauce from Albertsons on the way home. I asked what kind, and she replied just get some Kraft BBQ sauce. I thought there has to be something better than Kraft but the only sauce that looked half way decent was Stubbs BBQ.

So today I called my cousin who went to college at UT, and asked him if he knew any rib joints in Austin that might ship their sauce to Idaho. He highly recommended a place called The Salt Lick, and a place called Iron Works. Does anyone from the greater Austin area (Darin) have an opinion about these place's. And more importantly, what other sources of sauce should I try out....

I know I should just make my own, and I have searched the forum for BBQ recipes. But I would like to find a good sauce that isn't readily available in the great barren sauce wasteland that is Idaho...

Thanks in advance....

So today I called my cousin who went to college at UT, and asked him if he knew any rib joints in Austin that might ship their sauce to Idaho. He highly recommended a place called The Salt Lick, and a place called Iron Works. Does anyone from the greater Austin area (Darin) have an opinion about these place's. And more importantly, what other sources of sauce should I try out....

I'm not from Austin, but did go visit a few people for a weekend. The Salt Lick was highly suggested, but once I made my way out there I found that there was half the population of Austin eating there; it was packed. 3 HR wait. I left, in favor of Stubbs actually (which was good as well), but I do fully intend on going back and seeing what the deal was.

Don't know if they have Famous Dave's sauces out where you are, but if you can get them I recommend them. Big fan of the Devil's Spit and Carolina Mustard flavors in particular. Sweet Baby Ray's is pretty good too, IMO.

But then, I am a yankee, so feel free to discount my advice. :wacko:

Peace

policy

Don't know if they have Famous Dave's sauces out where you are, but if you can get them I recommend them. Big fan of the Devil's Spit and Carolina Mustard flavors in particular. Sweet Baby Ray's is pretty good too, IMO.

Peace

policy

i met dave of famous dave's many moons ago when he was very small and trying to market his sauce. was a nice guy and the sauce is good.

Peace

policy

If I don't have time to make a sauce from scratch, I use Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy as a base and add honey, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cumin and dry mustard. Devil's Spit is pretty good right out of the bottle.

ATK has done a few tastings of premade Q sauces, and the one thing they stress is to look at the ingredients. The best tasting ones always have tomato product as the first ingredient. If the first ingredient is either water or vinegar, put it back.

I buy either Cattleman or Stubbs.

I asked what kind, and she replied just get some Kraft BBQ sauce. I thought there has to be something better than Kraft

If we're talking what's commonly avail in most grocery stores, I have tried em all and I think Kraft's the best. Stuff like KC and Bullseye IMO is way overhyped and nothing great.

Now if the stores here sold Cattleman's I would opt for that, but Kraft is good; just because it's cheap and a common brand and not "cool" doesn't change that IMO.

i met dave of famous dave's many moons ago when he was very small and trying to market his sauce. was a nice guy and the sauce is good.

Bier,

Sweet Baby Ray's has two establishments. The original one is 5 miles from work in Wood Dale. Dave is often there to clear plates and mingle. There are maybe 24 seats in the whole dining room, and during Mardi Gras, they have the most amazing grub...crawfish etoufee was amazing. I think a lot of their white coats had training at Heaven On Seven.

The sauce is good, but their food is the best BBQ I've ever had...this year they are doing a regional/per day menu, Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City, and Texas.

Amazing place for lunch.

Fellas,

My wife and I had ribs on Saturday night and she asked that I pick up some sauce from Albertsons on the way home. I asked what kind, and she replied just get some Kraft BBQ sauce. I thought there has to be something better than Kraft but the only sauce that looked half way decent was Stubbs BBQ.

I know I should just make my own, and I have searched the forum for BBQ recipes. But I would like to find a good sauce that isn't readily available in the great barren sauce wasteland that is Idaho...

Thanks in advance....

Rudy's is one of the best you can buy around here for home use. I am a very big fan of their sauce, but there are better at some of the BBQ shacks, but you cannot buy it to go.

Rudy's is one of the best you can buy around here for home use. I am a very big fan of their sauce, but there are better at some of the BBQ shacks, but you cannot buy it to go.

I ate at Rudy's in Austin and the food was awesome overall. Don't remember anything special about the sauce so I guess I need to hit one of the new Rudy's here in town and give it another try.

I ate at Rudy's in Austin and the food was awesome overall. Don't remember anything special about the sauce so I guess I need to hit one of the new Rudy's here in town and give it another try.

I usually hit the one in Spring before heading to the woodlands for a concert or spring off-raod park to beat on my jeep.

• 1 month later...

I recently tried Bone Suckin' Sauce. I found it in a local meat shop. I don't think it's available at most grocery stores (at least not in the northeast).

I used it on wings, on tips and also mixed it in ground beef with chopped onion for burgers. It worked well with all of them.

Of course, we just got a new grill after going without for a couple years, so that may have influenced our enjoyment as well.