[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns Donte Stallworth has automobile accident

myhousekey

Los Angeles, and I drive 50 miles a day. If you can handle people taking your space in front of you it's very doable. I don't believe you. You're one of those impatient drivers that makes it tougher out here for everyone else.

And as to the bolded part: yes, it will.

Wow...hostile much? How do you handle people taking cushion from you? If your cushion is taken (even during your 50 miles a day drive) how do you then allow yourself a 2 second rule/cushion...you cannot if it is taken from you. I am happy for you that you have obviously avoided being a bad accident - which is awesome considering the miles you log...I myself had gone 24 years without one until 3 months ago. I definitely used to be one impatient idiot driver before I had kids...but since then, I have mellowed...believe me or don't whatever. Take it easy and continued success in your travels on those SoCal roads....even worse than my NorCal freeways from what I hear.

KO'd

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...hostile much? How do you handle people taking cushion from you? If your cushion is taken (even during your 50 miles a day drive) how do you then allow yourself a 2 second rule/cushion...you cannot if it is taken from you. I am happy for you that you have obviously avoided being a bad accident - which is awesome considering the miles you log...I myself had gone 24 years without one until 3 months ago. I definitely used to be one impatient idiot driver before I had kids...but since then, I have mellowed...believe me or don't whatever. Take it easy and continued success in your travels on those SoCal roads....even worse than my NorCal freeways from what I hear.

KO'd

I never said I hadn't had an accident. I have, and it was when I didn't stick to the two second rule. If people take the cushion, they're generally moving faster than me which allows it to build back up. Driving here isn't a hobby...so you shouldn't get so defensive. :wacko:

I never said I hadn't had an accident. I have, and it was when I didn't stick to the two second rule. If people take the cushion, they're generally moving faster than me which allows it to build back up. Driving here isn't a hobby...so you shouldn't get so defensive. :wacko:

It's all good my California brother....I am a bit sensitive on the whole subject as my own wreck is still fairly fresh in my mind and believe me...if I could have had 2 more seconds of reaction time I would have loved it....I have never come so close to losing everyone I hold dear in my life and never hope to come that close again. Safe travels to you my friend.

KO'd

Los Angeles, and I drive 50 miles a day. If you can handle people taking your space in front of you it's very doable. I don't believe you. You're one of those impatient drivers that makes it tougher out here for everyone else.

And as to the bolded part: yes, it will.

According to this your 2 second rule is going to get you familiar with your local body shop.

I don't know man. I've been on the L.A .freeways and it's sometimes 65 MPH almost bumper to bumper. It works as longer as every one keeps up. It's intense.

Pshaw!

Try driving in Houston. That'll put the fear of God in you: you are exagerrating in your statement re LA traffic because of where you live and not being used to the speed and denisty. In Houston, they DO drive 65 mph bumper to bumper and have the more than occasional car/truck weaving in and around at 80mph.

I've had a friend going 75 in Houston and had a bike cop pull up next to him and motion to him to slow down before speeding off. :wacko:

and tbimm - reading through that article doesn't seem to take into account that the car ahead of you is also moving forward while slowing as well.

And there are many studies on 2,4 or 6 seconds. The basic rule is this: if you hit someone from behind you were following too close given your speed.

Edited by Pope Flick

I just found something pretty cool. If you look at the bottom right bus stop sign, double click it, then double click it again and you get a groud eyes view of the scene.

With this view you can clearly see a barrier dividing the street. The report says he was NOT crossing at the crosswalk. Looks like the guy was in a hurry to catch the bus across the street. If you go into street level mode by double clicking twice, you can see the other bus stop sign across the street. Its a very thin green pole.

I did a search of the bus schedule for that street going west bound and the next bus was to arrive at 7:04a.m

Reports say the incident occurred on or about 7a.m.

Sounds like the guy was in a hurry to cross the street to catch the bus as there are no shops, housing or businesses in the area on the West bound side. Which could also explain why he didn't use the crosswalk as those lights are usually set on a timed basis as opposed to a ground trigger.

Pshaw!

Try driving in Houston. That'll put the fear of God in you: you are exagerrating in your statement re LA traffic because of where you live and not being used to the speed and denisty. In Houston, they DO drive 65 mph bumper to bumper and have the more than occasional car/truck weaving in and around at 80mph.

I've had a friend going 75 in Houston and had a bike cop pull up next to him and motion to him to slow down before speeding off. :wacko:

and tbimm - reading through that article doesn't seem to take into account that the car ahead of you is also moving forward while slowing as well.

And there are many studies on 2,4 or 6 seconds. The basic rule is this: if you hit someone from behind you were following too close given your speed.

I know it's a lot different here, but I have lived in Los Angeles too. The traffic wasn't always like I said but I have seen I 5 that way. It was very inter-dependent on other drivers.

There are times here when I haven't seen a 4 lane highway for a couple of years. It is a culture shock going back and forth. South Florida(Sarasota, Tampa, West Pam) have 3 and 4 lane streets that go 50 MPH even though posted speed limits are a lot lower.

:D at the bike cop saying slow down and then speeding off.

• 1 month later...
No, and thats exactly my point...he had no room to change lanes. The median was to his immediate left, and the pedestrian was coming from the right. Knowing he wouldn't be able to slam on his brakes and stop in time, where was he supposed to go, other than straight ahead and hope he could alert the pedestrian not to walk in front of him?.

My point is that, based on what the police report states and ensuing facts, the only way this accident doesn't happen is if the pedestrian does not illegally walk in front of a car travelling in the left lane of a highway doing 50 MPH.

I should be an attorney. From Yahoo! Sports:

Stallworth may get break on manslaughter charge

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

2 hours, 44 minutes ago

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth(notes) could avoid a DUI manslaughter conviction from the March 14 accident that killed a Miami man even if he is found to have been impaired while driving, according to two NFL sources and two Florida-based attorneys.

Stallworth, who is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday, may still have to serve time in jail and reach a civil settlement with the family of Mario Reyes, who was killed when Stallworth hit him in the early morning hours of March 14. However, Stallworth’s jail time could be only a matter of two or three months rather than the possibility of up to 15 years in prison under state law, two NFL sources said this week. Beyond that, Stallworth could play this season, one of the sources said.

According to Florida’s DUI manslaughter law, there are exceptions under what is called “causation” of an accident. In short, someone who is driving drunk and causes an accident is not necessarily responsible if the other party did something to contribute to the accident. Florida statute 316.119 was changed in the 1980s to reflect that after a state Supreme Court judge ruled that the state’s previous strict liability standard on drunken drivers was essentially unfair.

The exception is based on the idea that if a drunken driver stopped at an intersection was hit by another car and the driver of the other car died, the drunken driver should not be held responsible.

“There are a number of issues in that case that may allow him to get off with regard to causation,” said attorney George Charnota, who has practiced law in South Florida for nine years and is a former prosecutor. Charnota is not involved in Stallworth’s case, but said the reports he has read about the case indicate the defense could use causation as an angle to aid Stallworth.

In this case, Reyes allegedly was jaywalking at the time he was hit and killed by Stallworth. If Reyes was jaywalking, it could be argued he contributed to the accident. In addition, Stallworth claimed to have flashed his lights and honked his horn at Reyes, which is being interpreted by Stallworth’s side as a way of warning Reyes to get out of the way.

“The state must first prove he was impaired, which from what I’ve read and heard could be a problem in this case, and then must prove that he caused the death,” said attorney Michael Cohen, who has practiced in Miami for 27 years and is not representing Stallworth.

Charnota reiterated that the alleged facts in this case create the likelihood that an argument over causation could be made.

“There’s absolutely an argument that would be made depending on how you read the situation. Obviously the fact can be looked at differently if you’re the prosecutor or the defense attorney,” Charnota said. “The prosecutor would likely argue that if Stallworth had enough time to flash his lights and honk, why didn’t he have time to brake? Likewise, the defense would argue how can you expect Stallworth to anticipate that [Reyes] would dart out in the street where there was no crosswalk.”

In short, Stallworth could face anything from a second-degree felony charge of DUI manslaughter to a second-degree misdemeanor charge of DUI.

Today Stallworth was supposed to be arraigned....but the prosecution asked for a delay. No reason given, but implications are they are having a tough time making their case for manslaughter (see previous post). Looking more and more like 2nd degree DUI, or a plea.

He could actually be playing football this fall, pending a ruling from the commish.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

Today Stallworth was supposed to be arraigned....but the prosecution asked for a delay. No reason given, but implications are they are having a tough time making their case for manslaughter (see previous post). Looking more and more like 2nd degree DUI, or a plea.

He could actually be playing football this fall, pending a ruling from the commish.

I don't see Goodell letting him play.

Bah, Houston traffic is easy to navigate! Just presume everyone is out to kill you with a personal vendetta and you will do fine. Also, the secret is that the right lane is the fastest, opposite of the "norm."

Really though, having driven all over the world, the US drivers aren't all that bad. Been to Italy or Greece???Holy crap!!

:wacko: