[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peppers to NE?

CD6405

I hope the Panthers can get better than a 2nd rounder, but they have to move Peppers before the draft. They have no cap room and no first round pick. I was hoping they would be able to get one of Philly's first rounders for him, but they need to get the best offer they can for him.

I hope the Panthers can get better than a 2nd rounder, but they have to move Peppers before the draft. They have no cap room and no first round pick. I was hoping they would be able to get one of Philly's first rounders for him, but they need to get the best offer they can for him.

While it's silly to say that any team wouldn't have interest in Peppers because... obviously, he's Peppers - I couldn't see the Eagles making a push to get him after the way Cole has played the last two seasons.

Isn't he about to be 29 years of age? A high second rounder isn't that far off, especially the amount of money the pats would have to pay to get him under contract.

While it's silly to say that any team wouldn't have interest in Peppers because... obviously, he's Peppers - I couldn't see the Eagles making a push to get him after the way Cole has played the last two seasons.

Hasn't Peppers also said that he wants to play OLB in a 3-4 only?

There were rumors Green Bay would send Kampman and a pick for him but it was merely a rumor.

Hasn't Peppers also said that he wants to play OLB in a 3-4 only?

My understanding is that Peppers has overtly expressed interest in playing in a 3-4 -- I never heard him specify DE or OLB. Given his size (height mostly), playing OLB would be a little odd. With an extra 5-10 pounds, though, he'd be an excellent 3-4 DE, especially in a one-gap scheme like Green Bay's. :wacko::D

My understanding is that Peppers has overtly expressed interest in playing in a 3-4 -- I never heard him specify DE or OLB. Given his size (height mostly), playing OLB would be a little odd. With an extra 5-10 pounds, though, he'd be an excellent 3-4 DE, especially in a one-gap scheme like Green Bay's. :wacko::D

Okay, well...after some searching, I couldn't find any direct quotes from Peppers or his agent specifying the LB position (only 3-4 in general), but it seems to be implied by everyone else. However, in Vic Carucci's report about this potential Pats-Cats deal, he cites a personnel director who apparently agrees with what I said before:

"This is a guy who totally went on strike two years ago because he wasn't happy with his contract," the player personnel source said. "He's also very long [in the torso], which is not ideal for a 3-4 outside linebacker. And he can't drop into coverage. He's very stiff.

"But one of the things [the Patriots] are looking at is the fact that, in passing situations, they can have Peppers up front with [Richard] Seymour and [Jarvis] Green. That makes it easier for them to take [nose tackle Vince] Wilfork out of the game in [passing situations] and just play him on running downs."

I believe the Panthers need to get a least a 1st Rounder for him and possibly a 3rd, similiar to what the Chiefs got last year when they sent Allen to the Vikes.

I think Peppers agent his trying to use a bargaining chip by saying Peppers will only except a trade from one of four teams, but the Panthers said "Fine" we are tagging him and if he is so set to leave, you find us a suitable trade for him, putting the ball back in their court. I hope the Panthers do trade him as much as he is a terrific player, if he doesn't want to be hear, get compensation for him and move on. I think the Patriots could be a destination for him, but I will be shocked if it is only for the Chiefs pick that the Patriots own from the Cassel trade.

"By the rules of the (collective bargaining agreement) we cannot and have not had any conversations with other teams about Julius," GM Marty Hurney said in a statement. "Under the non-exclusive franchise tag, Julius and his agent, Carl Carey, are within their rights to talk to other teams about a potential contract. However, at this point, we are not aware of any such conversations."

Peppers is free to talk to other teams. :wacko:

Carolina is in the dark. So that sounds bad for them.

Peppers is free to talk to other teams. :wacko:

Carolina is in the dark. So that sounds bad for them.

Why? He can talk all he wants, but unless Carolina approves the trade and gets the compensation, he stays put tin Carolina. Plus, Carolina owns his rights for 2009, so until he signs the franchise tender, he can't go anywhere, meaning Carolina will know who he and his agent talk to when an offer is made concerning draft picks etc., so if Carolina does not like the deal, he stays put in Carolina-period.

Why? He can talk all he wants, but unless Carolina approves the trade and gets the compensation, he stays put tin Carolina.

Trades are made so teams benefit. They will not benefit with Peppers being unhappy. They'd rather get their draft picks in because we all know they at least need a QB.

Trades are made so teams benefit. They will not benefit with Peppers being unhappy. They'd rather get their draft picks in because we all know they at least need a QB.

Plus they have no cap room, they need the cap room asap so they can sign draft picks. Peppers will be traded before the draft no doubt.

My fear is that interest in him will dry up because of his history of inconsistent effort on the field, plus his high contract demands, and the fact that teams will have to give up either picks or players to get him. A team is really going to have to want Pep to make this happen IMO.

He's going to want a monster contract from whomever he goes to, and when you add that into whatever compensation that team will have to give Carolina in return I think it's going to be difficult to get done.

My fear is that interest in him will dry up because of his history of inconsistent effort on the field, plus his high contract demands, and the fact that teams will have to give up either picks or players to get him. A team is really going to have to want Pep to make this happen IMO.

He's going to want a monster contract from whomever he goes to, and when you add that into whatever compensation that team will have to give Carolina in return I think it's going to be difficult to get done.

And you have just summed up why he will be traded for much less than Jared Allen was if he gets traded at all.

This goes back to my theory on the draft, at least until they find a way to cap rookie salaries, but the late 1st/early 2nd is really a sweet spot in the draft where you can still get top notch talent but not tie up 10s of millions of both cash money and cap room to sign them. In other words, given the current situation, I think a pick in the 20-35 range is just flat out better pick to have than one in the top 10.

Think about OT. You look at 5 different expert rankings and you'll see the top 5 guys listed 5 different ways. So, it's rather safe to say that they're pretty much even as far as anyone can tell. However, one is going to be picked among the top 3 picks and one is likely going to fall as far the mid teens or perhaps 20. So, two teams are going to end up with basically the same dude, only one of them is going to have to pay him about $50 mil for 5 years and the other is going to be laying a 1/3 or less money.

Now, I'd certainly prefer to be closer to 20 than 35 because your going to have more choices and, by that point, salaries start becoming more sane. However, I would take this in a second.

Again, until things change, a top 10 pick is really not all that good to have. Not compared to one around 20.

Yes, but there were no questions about his being motivated on the field, and there wasn't the big "disgruntled" vibe.

and he has that sweet, sweet mullet.

Edited by CD6405