[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stanton to get a shot in Detroit?

Randall

GRAND RAPIDS -- Drew Stanton needed a fresh start.

The third-year Detroit Lions quarterback entered offseason workouts at the franchise's practice facility in Allen Park this morning with a much more optimistic attitude about getting a fair shot to prove himself to the coaching staff.

"It could turn out to be the best possible situation for me," he said while participating in a Lions charity basketball game Saturday night at Lee High School.

"It's great. I think I'll get a chance at least to go out there and prove myself (in training camp this season). That's all I'm looking forward to is an opportunity."

Stanton had limited opportunities last year.

He got into three games in a mop-up role for Daunte Culpepper, including throwing a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end John Owens on his first NFL pass attempt in a matchup against the Jacksonville Jaguars at Ford Field.

In all, Stanton, a second-round draft pick out of Michigan State, finished 9-of-17 passing for 119 yards, ran three times for 20 yards and got sacked six times.

He said he feels liberated since the departure of former offensive coordinator Jim Colletto, who never gave Stanton a chance to prove himself as a starter.

The hiring of new coach Jim Schwartz and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan gives all of the players remaining from an 0-16 team a chance to push the reset button.

"That's all coach Linehan and Schwartz have talked about," Stanton said. "I'm going to get a chance. They're optimistic and everybody's coming in here looking for change. We need to look for some solutions at multiple positions.

"It's what you expect from them after what transpired last year. There's gonna be some new faces," he added. "They're bringing in quality guys who are proven at this level and can help us compete right away."

E-mail Brian VanOchten: bvanochten@grpress.com

http://blog.mlive.com/twominutedrill/2009/...ns_drew_st.html

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I still hope DET ends up with Cutler but that may be a pipe dream. I really have trouble cheering for Fumblepepper so I'd rather give Stanton a chance if he actually has the goods. We'll just see how this all goes. DET is having an interesting offseason so far.

If you REALLY want my take, you can read about six pages worth right here.

I think there's nothing that Matt Stafford brings to the table that Drew Stanton doesn't, except maybe a 60-yard arm instead of Stanton's 45-yard arm, which is useless on 97% of snaps. Moreover, I think Stanton has all the intangibles, and Stafford has none of them. Stanton's only crimes to date have been a couple of untimely injuries, and being criminally mishandled by Marinelli, Martz, Colletto, & Co.

Peace

policy

I think there's nothing that Matt Stafford brings to the table that Drew Stanton doesn't, except maybe a 60-yard arm instead of Stanton's 45-yard arm, which is useless on 97% of snaps. Moreover, I think Stanton has all the intangibles, and Stafford has none of them. Stanton's only crimes to date have been a couple of untimely injuries, and being criminally mishandled by Marinelli, Martz, Colletto, & Co.

Peace

policy

I've been hoping he'd get a chance ever since he was drafted. With all their needs why get another QB right now?

In college he was a very accurate passer. I'll take that over the deep throw anytime.

Wow nice writeup on your blog. I thought Charles Rogers suffered a lot of bad luck and then started falling apart on his own. His career could have been much different.

I hope Stanton's works out better.

Edited by Randall

I really, really like Stanton and think he can develop into a quality NFL starting QB. The kid put up some great numbers at Mich St considering the bags of schist that were his teammates and how overmatched he was in almost every Big 10 game. The guy has the "it" factor: He can bring out the best in those around him while performing at a high level himself. He's got all the physical tools needed, but I really like his intangibles: mental toughness, leadership, sacrifice, etc

Peace

policy

I couldn't have said it better than that paragraph. I don't think Stafford will be anything more than a backup. I have been wrong before, though. :wacko:

Maybe he'll get a chance but with another team.

Let the guy go. The Lions have treated him like crap (much like how they've treated the fans)

Drew Stanton is taking the right approach to tough situation with the Lions

by Tom Kowalski | Opinion

Wednesday March 18, 2009, 2:00 PM

Let's face it, the cards are stacked against Detroit Lions quarterback Drew Stanton. Based on recent comments from general manager Martin Mayhew, Stanton will have a difficult time keeping a roster spot as the team's No. 3 quarterback - if he hangs on at all. Still, Stanton is taking the right approach as he enters the off-season workouts because he's only going to concentrate on what he can do - not what might happen.

The Lions, who already have Daunte Culpepper, have been involved in trade talks involving the Denver Broncos' Jay Cutler and there's been plenty of speculation that they might get a quarterback in the draft, possibly Georgia's Matthew Stafford with the first overall pick.

Add that to other things - last month Mayhew said it would be "a tremendous leap of faith'' to consider Stanton a starter and, on Tuesday, Mayhew said he planned to bring in a veteran free agent backup quarterback. That's not exactly a rose-petaled path for Stanton.

Still, Stanton refuses to fold his tent and whine about the winds of misfortune. About Mayhew's "leap of faith'' comment, Stanton isn't going to get rattled.

"I didn't hear about it, to tell you the truth,'' he said. "It's still unproven what I can do and I think everybody's aware of that. It's still a question mark all around, it's a matter of me taking the bull by the horns and going out and showing them that I'm capable and that isn't not going to be an extreme leap of faith, I guess.''

And about bringing in a veteran backup?

"There's a lot of talk about the NFL every single day about what's going to occur but until it's finalized and something's been done about it, that's when you address an issue like that,'' Stanton said. "All I can do is go out and start with the little things that we're doing right now - the basic parts of the offense - and digest it and translate it to the field when we get a chance.

"I've heard talk of them bringing in another quarterback but until that happens, it has no impact on me. It'll continually go back to what I said before about me just handling those things I can handle. If some other guy comes in, you bide your time and try to progress and when you get your shot, whether it's three or four throws, you make the best possible read and do what you're supposed to do and be prepared.''

Stanton also said that he believes he'll at least get a shot because he's a former second-round draft pick and the Lions will want to get a return on their investment. Not necessarily. The Lions drafted Jordon Dizon in the second round last year to be their strong side linebacker and they just traded for Julian Peterson. Now, granted, Dizon will get a chance to compete for the starting job, but who's kidding who?

Stanton is facing long odds in making a career with the Lions, but things change quickly in the NFL and he's attacking it with the right attitude. Work hard, control what you can and let the chips fall where they may.

Edited by Randall

RIght after the interview, Stanton reportedly tried to hold back smiles while mumbling "oh please cut or trade me, oh please oh please oh please"

Looks like Millen didn't have the lock on GM idiocy many thought. I'm not saying Stanton would tear it up given a chance, but to talk him down and basically say he's not even worthy of getting a chance - I don't think even Millen ever said anything that stupid. wth do you have to lose? And not even make the team?? PLEASE call the Colts, we'll swap you for Sorgi. Tell you what how about if we include an Addai-for-K Smith just for kicks.

Why does everyone on this message board seem to love Drew Stanton so much?

Everybody? I've only seen a few.

I would simply like to see him get a real chance and he hasn't had that in detroit.

At times it seems they'll pick a guy up off the street before they'd let him show what he can do. I think that stinks.

Why does it matter who is QB when you have a terrible O-line. You could put Joe Montana behind that line and he would still be on his ass over 50% of the time.

They should go get David Carr since he's used to getting put in these positions.

If we taske a QB with that high pick I will pull my hair out. we do not need a QB right now. Jason Smith would be the guy for us to grab and then we can take a QB in the 2nd round and go with the guys we have and sign someone. we won't be going from 0-16 to a winning record despite what the Dolphins did a few years back. the Dolphins 1-15 team had quite a bit more talent than us.This being said...I already know in my heart they will take Stafford..it is what my Lions do.

And might I add.... :wacko: .

Edited by Doc Holliday

If we taske a QB with that high pick I will pull my hair out. we do not need a QB right now. Jason Smith would be the guy for us to grab and then we can take a QB in the 2nd round and go with the guys we have and sign someone. we won't be going from 0-16 to a winning record despite what the Dolphins did a few years back. the Dolphins 1-15 team had quite a bit more talent than us.This being said...I already know in my heart they will take Stafford..it is what my Lions do.

And might I add.... :wacko: .

I like Curry #1 and whatever tackle drops. One of the 4 may fall. The Lions need a MLB as well.

DET could get lucky with the #20 pick and get an OL that could contribute as much as Ryan Clady did for Denver last year.

I'm assuming DET goes Stafford or Curry with the #1.

Michael Oher is falling to #20 in a lot of mocks these days . . . that would be a filthy, filthy steal. If a tackle isn't the pick 1.1, and Oher isn't there at 1.20, I think either Unger or Mack is the pick at 2.1.

Peace

policy

Why does everyone on this message board seem to love Drew Stanton so much?

As a Lions fan, I have thought this as well. I think that it is a product of desparation.

The Lons haven't seen that much in him, apparently, He couldn't get on the field on an 0-16 team - they even rolled out a washed up Daunte Culpepper instead of giving Stanton a chance. The Lions coaches and administration hasn't had many good things to say about him either. Could the Lions simply be misjudging his talent? Sure. But they see him every day at practice.

He had a lot of question marks coming out of college. Perhaps the biggest question was/is his durability. Knee injury in college. Knee injury his first year on the Lions. Thumb injury last year. Concussion last year.

we do not need a QB right now

Its difficult to believe how often you hear that in Detroit. Sure, a football team doesn't need a top-notch player at the most important position in the game. The ghosts of Chuck Long, Andre Ware and Joey "Ballgame" (right policy?) haunt Ford Field.

:wacko:

Edited by Furd

As a Lions fan, I have thought this as well. I think that it is a product of desparation.

The Lons haven't seen that much in him, apparently, He couldn't get on the field on an 0-16 team - they even rolled out a washed up Daunte Culpepper instead of giving Stanton a chance. The Lions coaches and administration hasn't had many good things to say about him either. Could the Lions simply be misjudging his talent? Sure. But they see him every day at practice.

He had a lot of question marks coming out of college. Perhaps the biggest question was/is his durability. Knee injury in college. Knee injury his first year on the Lions. Thumb injury last year. Concussion last year.

Then cut him soon and let him try out somewhere else.

But do it before training camp so he can get a real chance.

Edited by Randall

The Lions coaches and administration hasn't had many good things to say about him either. Could the Lions simply be misjudging his talent? Sure. But they see him every day at practice.

The Chargers saw Drew Brees in practice every day for how many years, yet it took them how long to get Brees under center meaningfully? And despite seeing Brees every day, they still drafted Rivers (well, not really, but that was the final outcome in essence) and then sent Brees packing while keeping Rivers.

It happens - and seemingly more often with QBs than other positions Probably because a team decides on its starting QB fairly early, and the other QBs see some work in OTAs/pre-season, but not with the first team O, and then during the season don't see much if any meaningful work at all. Look at how GB cut Warner and how that ended up. Or how Garcia had to go to the CFL before finally making an NFL impact. Or how long it took Gannon to finally get a decent shot with a decent team. There are lots of these stories.

Its difficult to believe how often you hear that in Detroit. Sure, a football team doesn't need a top-notch player at the most important position in the game. The ghosts of Chuck Long, Andre Ware and Joey "Ballgame" (right policy?) haunt Ford Field.

Ah, yes, good old Joey Ballgame.

It's absolutely true. I cannot believe how often I hear "We can't waste pick on a QB now, we're desperate!!! We need as many impact starters as we can get!!!!" Uh . . . the Lions went 0-16 last year. Drafting a guy in the third round and going "here son, you will solve our defensive tackle problems this year, right?" would be lunacy. Besides, the attitude is all wrong--it's as if the only real way to build a team is to have an All-Pro at every position, while a 72.0 passer rating guy minds the store, THEN you can "waste" that first round pick on a QB.

The reality is that this year is the perfect time to draft a franchise QB--there just isn't one available to draft at 1.1.

Peace

policy

Agreed. Throw the Christian to the Lions. Err, Tebow.

I agree with building the lines and drafting a real MLB. You need a good foundation the analogy is you can't build a mansion on mud.

It's absolutely true. I cannot believe how often I hear "We can't waste pick on a QB now, we're desperate!!! We need as many impact starters as we can get!!!!" Uh . . . the Lions went 0-16 last year. Drafting a guy in the third round and going "here son, you will solve our defensive tackle problems this year, right?" would be lunacy. Besides, the attitude is all wrong--it's as if the only real way to build a team is to have an All-Pro at every position, while a 72.0 passer rating guy minds the store, THEN you can "waste" that first round pick on a QB.

The reality is that this year is the perfect time to draft a franchise QB--there just isn't one available to draft at 1.1.

Peace

policy

so you are saying the Lions cant even get a break when they end up with the 1.1...yeah, it has to be rough being a Lions fan.

The Chargers saw Drew Brees in practice every day for how many years, yet it took them how long to get Brees under center meaningfully? And despite seeing Brees every day, they still drafted Rivers (well, not really, but that was the final outcome in essence) and then sent Brees packing while keeping Rivers.

It happens - and seemingly more often with QBs than other positions Probably because a team decides on its starting QB fairly early, and the other QBs see some work in OTAs/pre-season, but not with the first team O, and then during the season don't see much if any meaningful work at all. Look at how GB cut Warner and how that ended up. Or how Garcia had to go to the CFL before finally making an NFL impact. Or how long it took Gannon to finally get a decent shot with a decent team. There are lots of these stories.

Rivers and Gannon were who popped into my mind as well.

Peace

policy

+1 If there was a Matt Ryan in this year's draft the kitties should be all over it. Trouble is, there ain't.

so you are saying the Lions cant even get a break when they end up with the 1.1...yeah, it has to be rough being a Lions fan.

:wacko: