[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buckhalter named in drug trial

i_am_the_swammi

Buck had some issues with the doobie a few years ago and was suspended by the team for getting busted on South Street in Philly. Now this, which isn't anything other than heresay...but odd the guy would even mention him (out of every Philly athlete he could have mentioned) unless there was something to it:

From today's Philly Inquirer:

Alleged drug dealer names ex-Eagle Buckhalter as client, prosecutor says

By Mari A. Schaefer

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

A Delaware County prosecutor this morning named former Eagles running back Correll Buckhalter among the reported clients of an alleged drug dealer during opening arguments of a trial.

Deputy District Attorney Katayoun M. Copeland, addressing the jury, said that Styles N. Beckles, 36, of Clifton Heights, had told police that he sold drugs to pro athletes, including Buckhalter and Keita Crespina, a former Temple University football player.

No charges have been filed against Buckhalter or Crespina.

Buckhalter, 30, spent eight years with the Eagles before the Denver Broncos signed him to a four-year deal this month.

"Any time you to get some information like this, you have to look at the credibility [of the source]," said John Rickert, Buckhalter's agent. Rickert said he would not comment further at this point.

Crespina could not be reached immediately for comment. He played at Lincoln High School and later in NFL Europe and the Canadian Football League. He served as defensive coordinator at George Washington High School in Philadelphia in the fall,.

Beckles was the subject of a wiretap signed by Superior Court Judge Seamus McCaffrey in December 2005, according to an affidavit. As a result of that investigation, Pennsylvania State Police obtained a search warrant of his apartment, car and person.

When police pulled over Beckles in his silver Toyota Echo, he was found to have 115 glass vials of Josh Gordon, the affidavit said. At his home, police allegedly found 487 glass vials of Josh Gordon buds, digital scales, other drug paraphernalia, and more than $1,300 in cash.

Do teams have Private Investigators on staff to review potential new players before signing them? If not, why not?

I mean, pay some PI and his team $300,000 a year and if they help you avoid a problem like this, or more specifically, Travis Henry, then they are worth far more to the team than their salary.

Careful what you wish for...I dont think you would really want PI's following athletes around and then reporting back on how many have taken drugs or done things that they shouldn't have.

Can he really get in trouble because a drug dealer said that he sold something to him? Dont you have to have possession of something illegal to get in trouble for it? I would think that it would be hearsay unless he actually had dope on him.

writers need material for stories...and on top of that what ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? The media has completely killed that statement...I dont care what it is just watch the news and you hear about how people are fired/suspended etc because they were arrested for something....yet they havent been tried or found guilty....sure most of them probalby are guilty but still some might not be but it doesnt matter in todays society because you are "Guilty until proven innocent" and even then you probably still pay the price for just being charged and tried even if you were found innocent in the end.

:wacko:

this wasn't a writer's speculation...this was the DA talking.

but a WRITER took it and ran with it...the DA also said no charges were filed against CBuck.

edit: i never said it was writer speculation..i am talking about making more of it then it is

Edited by keggerz

Can Buck sue for defamation of character? If so, he needs to... unless he is a client of that guy.

I'm not a lawyer but it's hard if you're a public figure. I think he would have to prove intent to defame.

More from today....while the drug dealer is now backpeddling, a State Trooper testified that Buckhalter not only called the dealer (heard via wiretaps), but that Buck's name was listed on a ledger in hte drug dealer's home:

Alleged Dealer Denies Selling Drugs To Correll Buckhalter

An alleged drug dealer in suburban Philadelphia testified that he did not sell Josh Gordon to Denver Broncos running back Correll Buckhalter. That contradicts the word of a state trooper, who testified Thursday that he was listening on wiretaps when Buckhalter called the suspect, 36-year-old Styles Beckles of Clifton Heights. Trooper Scott John Miscannon also says a notation on a ledger in Beckles’ house indicates Buckhalter bought Josh Gordon from him.

And Buck swore to the Broncs recently he was clean....but the cops have him on tape calling his dealer.

Pathetic.

It's the cumulative effect of the entire stupid organization.

You <--------------------------------cash on the highway-------------------> sarcasm

Originally I thought perhaps he got hooked on painkillers due to his injuries. He wouldn't be alone there. Multiple surgeries are pretty painful.

I wish I took drugs the last time I had shoulder surgery.

Oh I forgot :wacko:

Edited by Randall

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/24/...-to-buckhalter/

Convicted Drug Dealer Apologizes to Buckhalter

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2009, 9:16 a.m. EDT

“I want to apologize to Correll Buckhalter and [former Temple football player] Keita Crespina for any personal or professional embarrassment I may have caused them. I [was] coerced and manipulated into making a statement implicating these two gentlemen as purchasers of Josh Gordon. The State Police wiretapped my phone, listened to every phone conversation I [had] in [D]ecember 2005 and January 2006 and twisted those conversations out of context to convince a judge I was a drug dealer. Nothing could be furthe [sic] from the truth.

“I never sold Josh Gordon to Correll Buckhakter. The police listened to one conversation I had with Correll and decided it was about Josh Gordon. Its [sic] not the truth. I have never sold, talked about selling or given Josh Gordon or anything else illegal to Correll Buckhalter.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/24/...-to-buckhalter/

Convicted Drug Dealer Apologizes to Buckhalter

Posted by Mike Florio on March 24, 2009, 9:16 a.m. EDT

“I want to apologize to Correll Buckhalter and [former Temple football player] Keita Crespina for any personal or professional embarrassment I may have caused them. I [was] coerced and manipulated into making a statement implicating these two gentlemen as purchasers of Josh Gordon. The State Police wiretapped my phone, listened to every phone conversation I [had] in [D]ecember 2005 and January 2006 and twisted those conversations out of context to convince a judge I was a drug dealer. Nothing could be furthe [sic] from the truth.

“I never sold Josh Gordon to Correll Buckhakter. The police listened to one conversation I had with Correll and decided it was about Josh Gordon. Its [sic] not the truth. I have never sold, talked about selling or given Josh Gordon or anything else illegal to Correll Buckhalter.

What the hell!!!! This is interesting.....Buckhalter must've promised him a large sum of cash to keep his mouth shut.