[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's Talk About the Fish

SheikYerbuti

At the store the other day and trout is on sale at $3/pound. So, I get 2. Prepared them very simply: olive oil, S&P and capers. 400 degree oven for 7 minutes on each side, then finished with fresh squeezed lemon.

So, I'm not sure I get the whole fish thing. OK, I love me some salmon, and tuna steaks cooked properly are awesome. It's the white fleshed fish that I don't get. First of all, I'm spending more of my meal concentrating on getting the small bones out of my mouth than on the flavor of the fish. But, just in terms of taste, I'm not sure I can tell the difference between trout and tilapia and cod and halibut and mahi and any other white fish.

What am I missing?

At the store the other day and trout is on sale at $3/pound. So, I get 2. Prepared them very simply: olive oil, S&P and capers. 400 degree oven for 7 minutes on each side, then finished with fresh squeezed lemon.

So, I'm not sure I get the whole fish thing. OK, I love me some salmon, and tuna steaks cooked properly are awesome. It's the white fleshed fish that I don't get. First of all, I'm spending more of my meal concentrating on getting the small bones out of my mouth than on the flavor of the fish. But, just in terms of taste, I'm not sure I can tell the difference between trout and tilapia and cod and halibut and mahi and any other white fish.

What am I missing?

:wacko: Trout should'nt have been white. Unless they're Sea trout which I know nothing about.

You have to cube that critter, roll it in beer batter, deep fry it, and then slather it in tarter sauce.

Madlibs: Batter fried (noun) tastes delicious.

are you a smoker?

If you mean a rack of ribs and hickory chips, yes. Otherwise, no.

Will check out the link. thanks.

Madlibs: Batter fried (noun) tastes delicious.

If you mean a rack of ribs and hickory chips, yes. Otherwise, no.

Will check out the link. thanks.

smoking kills your taste buds. i have worked with a lot of cooks/chefs who over-sesaon as a result. if you smoked, it might have explained why you cannot taste a difference between whitefish.

Trout has a subtle but unique flavor. As with most fresh water fish, I go simpler rather than exotic. Just a little lemon and butter, perhaps a touch of dill if I'm feeling frisky. I also like to beer brine it and smoke it.

As far as the other white fish, yeah they aren't strong flavored like sea bass or bluefish. However, the salt water fish do tend to stand up to flavoring much better than the fresh water cousins. One of the nice things about the white fish is that they can be substituted in recipes without too much change in flavor depending on what is available in your region at that time of the year. That being said, there are just some things you can't do. While there's nothing like cod or haddock battered and deep fried don't try that with tilapia or flounder. Part of it is the thickness and texture of the fillets.

Oh here's one you're going to like, fish on fish works really well. If you're in the mood for something just a touch different, grill a white fish and top with anchovy butter or a couple of drops of Thai Fish Sauce. yum.