[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Giants DL discussion

On the heels of the Boley thread it got me to thinking of the the great IDP seasons that Tuck and Kiwi had. Now I don' t think they will end up being "busts" in the normal fantasy sense, but with the addition of Osi back in the fold you now have a 3 DE rotation that figures to get equal playing time. Could this possibly push these three studs out of the top 10 DEs for 2009? while 3 top 20 DEs from a fantasy perspective would still be pretty impressive I think owners expecting Tuck and Osi to be top 10 could be in for abit of a disappointment this year.

Would you consider Tuck and Osi outside the top 10 a disappointment/bust? Is defensive end by committee going to hurt a position that is already low scoring?

That being said Canty could be a hugh DT sleeper for the upcoming season in leagues that require the position, with the coaching staff already saying he will be playing DT, I can't seem him and his 6min+ salary being the one that comes out on third down when tuck moves inside.

On the heels of the Boley thread it got me to thinking of the the great IDP seasons that Tuck and Kiwi had. Now I don' t think they will end up being "busts" in the normal fantasy sense, but with the addition of Osi back in the fold you now have a 3 DE rotation that figures to get equal playing time. Could this possibly push these three studs out of the top 10 DEs for 2009? while 3 top 20 DEs from a fantasy perspective would still be pretty impressive I think owners expecting Tuck and Osi to be top 10 could be in for abit of a disappointment this year.

Would you consider Tuck and Osi outside the top 10 a disappointment/bust? Is defensive end by committee going to hurt a position that is already low scoring?

That being said Canty could be a hugh DT sleeper for the upcoming season in leagues that require the position, with the coaching staff already saying he will be playing DT, I can't seem him and his 6min+ salary being the one that comes out on third down when tuck moves inside.

Interesting thoughts and I totally agree with your assessments. I could see Osi nipping at the heels of the top-10, with Tuck likely in the late teens. I don't see Kiwanuka being relevant in smaller leagues, but would be a decent DL2/solid backup in most IDP leagues.

Of course, with this group there could always be injury concerns. Should one go down for an extended period, you could see a significant bump-up in stats and relative value.

I would definitely be disappointed should Osi/Tuck fall out of the top-10, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised, and I wouldn't call them "busts". I think they will - on average - be drafted according to the situation. Those overpaying for this pair may be more disappointed than those that drafted them "on time".

I think they will - on average - be drafted according to the situation. Those overpaying for this pair may be more disappointed than those that drafted them "on time".

agreed, but i think the Dynasty crowd will be the most disappointed.

I think it's viable that all three are relevant fantasy options. \

2007 stats:

Osi Umenyiora - 40 - 12 5 FF 2 FR 14 Sacks (Ranked: 5th in my league)

Michael Strahan - 46 - 11 1 FF 1 FR 9 Sacks 2 PD (Ranked: 16th in my league)

Justin Tuck - 53 - 14 3 FF 1 INT 13 Sacks 2 PD (ranked: 18th in my league)

I'm not basing this on anything but I think that you'll see Kiwi play both end and SAM; leaving Osi and Tuck both to amass their stats. I don't think you'll see Tuck topping the charts again next year but I think that both he and Osi are DL1 in almost every league. Kiwi is the guy I see losing the most.

Just a gut feeling.