[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cop delays Moats from seeing dying Mom

Randall

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/....6f8a23c1.html#

I'd say tow the car and run inside, but geez.

"DALLAS — Racing to see his dying mother-in-law at a Plano hospital, an NFL player found himself delayed by a Dallas officer after he was stopped in the emergency room parking lot.

With his wife and another woman in the car, Ryan Moats — a running back for the Houston Texans — sped his car toward the hospital early on March 17. But when Moats arrived at the parking lot, they were stopped by Officer Robert Powell.

Dashcam video from the Dallas officer's patrol car captured the incident.

"Get in there," Officer Powell yelled out to Tamishia Moats, Ryan's wife, as she exited the car. "Let me see your hands. Get in there. Put your hands on the car."

"Excuse me; my mom is dying," Moats said.

Tamishia Moats and the other woman ignored Officer Powell's commands and rushed inside the hospital to see her mother as Ryan Moats and Officer Powell went back-and-forth over insurance paperwork the NFL player was unable to locate.

MOATS: "I've got seconds before she's gone, man."

POWELL: "Listen: If I can't verify you have insurance..."

MOATS: "My mother-in-law is dying!"

POWELL: "Listen to me."

MOATS: "Right now, you're wasting my time."

POWELL: "If you can't verify you have insurance, I'm going to tow your car. So, you either find it or I am going to tow the car."

As they argued, the officer got irritated.

POWELL: "Shut your mouth. Shut your mouth. You can either settle down and cooperate, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."

The tape shows a nurse coming out of the hospital, pleading with Officer Powell to let Moats join his wife and her dying mother inside..

In a telephone interview, Moats said the clash with the officer was totally unexpected. "For him to not even be sympathetic at all, and basically we're dogs or something and we don't matter — it basically shocked me," he said.

No compassion was indicated in the police recording of the incident. "I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

The hospital twice sent nurses to try and get the officer to release Moats.

"We're blue-coding her for the third time," a nurse said on the police videotape.

A Plano police officer stopped to make a plea for the officer to let Moats go. "Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer said. "She says the mom is dying right now, and she wants to know if I can get him up there."

Finally, after a 20-minute delay, the officer ticketed Moats for running a red light.

By the time Moats made it up to the emergency room, his mother-in-law was dead.

"I went up after she passed and held her hand, but she was already gone," Moats said in a telephone interview.

Dallas police have apologized to the Moats family, dropped the ticket, and launched a review of the incident.

“When it came to our attention, we immediately called for an internal investigation to be done,” said police spokesman Lt. Andy Havey.

E-mail rlopez@wfaa.com

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this earlier. Unconscionable behavior by the cop. I'm normally one who will err on the side of the guys in blue, but this is clearly a case of a cop who has no business wearing the uniform and needs to be removed - or at least reallocated to a position where he doesn't have to deal with the public.

Likely another high-school goober that felt the only way to exact revenge for being teased for being a doofus was to become a cop. What did he think the Moats' was speeding to the hospital for, a good meal? Guy needs some class, compassion....and a good kick in the arse.

Sucks for sure for the Moats family.

I saw this earlier. Unconscionable behavior by the cop. I'm normally one who will err on the side of the guys in blue, but this is clearly a case of a cop who has no business wearing the uniform and needs to be removed - or at least reallocated to a position where he doesn't have to deal with the public.

+1 billion... what a piece of crap.

The cop threatened to arrest him several times, which is probably what would have happened if Moats tried to leave.

Hard to say what I would do in that situation, but knowing me, I would have given him my license, insurance and walked into the hospital. If he was going to arrest me, he would have to caught me first. What an azzhole cop.

This cop sounds like such an a_hole that he may have tazed or shot Moats if he dared leave the vehicle...what a shame. He has to lose his job over this poor display of judgement...wow.

KO'd

Edited by KOKIDKOKID

Everyone knows the best way to avoid a ticket is to race to the hospital and hide out in one of the bathrooms. Right? :D

duh. Thats what I always d.....I mean, I'd never do that :wacko:

The cop could have easily went inside and got the info from Moats instead of making a big stink outside about it. What a moron.

No doubt this a-hole should lose his job over this.

They'd have towed my car and arrested me in her room.

Yup.

In MA a few months ago a guy got a ticket for driving in the breakdown lane trying to get his pregnant wife to the hospital. This was after two other cops pulled them over, found out what was happening and waved them on to continue.

So there will always be a few idiot cops who have there own agenda.

I read this earlier. I don't hate cops but A-holes like this give a lot of them a bad name. No reason to lecture people under duress and threaten them with jail time just because they are trying to get into a hospital to see a dying relative. Moats wasn't trying to get out of the ticket. I mean how can you even threaten to put someone in jail for running a red light? Just write the stupid ticket and let the guy go in the hospital. I could understand doubting the story (as I'm sure cops hear everything) but once the nurse at the hospital verified what was going on... the cop was just running on ego and B S at that point.

Pretty sad, but especially (IMO) after the nurse came out and confirmed what was going on. At least he could have followed him in and checked it out.

Hard to fauld a little bit of skepticism on the part of the cop, I'm sure they get a lot of similar excuses when pulling over speeders. But like I said, you're at the emergency room, the nurse confirmed. Pretty pathetic in this circumstance

This tool is as good as fired. The department coming out and condemning everything he did pretty much confirms that. I'm surprised they were as openly critical of him publicly without the investigation having been completed, which reeks of a pure PR move and damage control. HIs best bet is to resign immediately.

The cop threatened to arrest him several times, which is probably what would have happened if Moats tried to leave.

It's not as if most cops can catch an NFL RB.

I'd say tow the car and run inside, but geez.

was wondering wth on that myself. How was that a hard choice?

"I can screw you over," Officer Powell said. "I would rather not do that. You obviously will dictate everything that happens; and right now, your attitude sucks."

Yeah, as opposed to the stellar attitude this POS displayed.

Unfortunately, power corrupts and ahole behavior by cops is not rare (although something this extreme likely is). He'd make a good state trooper.

Nobody's mentioned it but I will. Looks like a pretty big case of discrimination and/or profiling. If this had been a white dude......just say'n.

Was thinking the same thing, you could tell there was some hatred in that voice on the video.

Edited by Flip_Side

Nobody's mentioned it but I will. Looks like a pretty big case of discrimination and/or profiling. If this had been a white dude......just say'n.

It wasn't like he was calling him names or anything. I think this could have happened to anyone with this jerk.

was wondering wth on that myself. How was that a hard choice?

Yeah, as opposed to the stellar attitude this POS displayed.

Unfortunately, power corrupts and ahole behavior by cops is not rare (although something this extreme likely is). He'd make a good state trooper.

Good ole' Plano Police.