[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Leon Washington the next Westbrook?

jetsfan

I usually don't put a lot into the Daily News for good reason, but this article actually seemed to make sense to me....:wacko:

Washington has put up good numbers over the last two seasons and only seems to be getting better. We will see this year with an unproven QB how he does in the offense.

I usually don't put a lot into the Daily News for good reason, but this article actually seemed to make sense to me....:wacko:

Washington has put up good numbers over the last two seasons and only seems to be getting better. We will see this year with an unproven QB how he does in the offense.

I love Leon Washington but no way is he a Westbrook mold. I'm not sure he would be able to handle a featured role.

I love Leon Washington but no way is he a Westbrook mold. I'm not sure he would be able to handle a featured role.

Valid point. However, I would love to see him perform in a more increased role. There's no question that Washington has been very effective in his CoP role behind T. Jones and that may suit him just fine and he may be nothing more that that kind of role player. However, he was never given more than 12 carries in a game last year and he only had double digit carries twice (12, 10) and most times he averaged about 5 carries a week and only 3 receptions on 4 targets. So he was basically getting 8 touches a week and he averaged slightly over 11 points with those limited looks thanks to the 8 TDs that he scored which came mostly in the 2nd half of the season. He only exceeded 100 total yards once on the entire season. He just hasn't been given the looks and I'd be interested to see what he can do as he's certainly explosive. He finished as the #25 overall RB in my PPR leagues last year which would make him a low-end #2/high-end #3 RB in leagues with 12+ owners. With more looks he could certainly become a solid #2 RB without a doubt.

Westbrook has not exactly stood up to the feature role either...

Well, I disagree with that. Westy has averaged 250 carries per season over the last 3 years which is about 17 carries a game. He's also had 221 receptions over the last 3 years which is an average of 73 receptions per season and about 5 per game. So that's about 22 touches per game (and 325 touches in a full season) for the last 3 years and he's only missed 4 games over the last 3 years. He's been a Top 5 fantasy RB and even finished the year before last as the #1 overall RB in PPR leagues. He's been as valuable in fantasy leagues as he's been to the Eagles as a workhorse back. His stats and production just don't come with carries, he's a ton more versatile.

Edited by irish

Well, I disagree with that. Westy has averaged 250 carries per season over the last 3 years which is about 17 carries a game. He's also had 221 receptions over the last 3 years which is an average of 73 receptions per season and about 5 per game. So that's about 22 touches per game (and 325 touches in a full season) for the last 3 years and he's only missed 4 games over the last 3 years. He's been a Top 5 fantasy RB and even finished the year before last as the #1 overall RB in PPR leagues. He's been as valuable in fantasy leagues as he's been to the Eagles as a workhorse back. His stats and production just don't come with carries, he's a ton more versatile.

I think in this case, saying he can't "stand up to a feature role" doesn't mean he's ineffective, but physically he takes a beating and does miss playing time because of it. It's very nerve racking to have Westbrook in fantasy because of this. He could go off for a ginormous game and then be hurt for two weeks and get you nothing - worse yet, he's always a game time decision it seems like. Total stats still look good but it has to be said he has some durability issues with the big load he is asked to carry. How many seasons has he even been a premier back? Not all that many really. In that respect, I can see how Leon may be looked at the same way.

Edited by efi4eye

I think in this case, saying he can't "stand up to a feature role" doesn't mean he's ineffective, but physically he takes a beating and does miss playing time because of it. It's very nerve racking to have Westbrook in fantasy because of this. He could go off for a ginormous game and then be hurt for two weeks and get you nothing - worse yet, he's always a game time decision it seems like. Total stats still look good but it has to be said he has some durability issues with the big load he is asked to carry. How many seasons has he even been a premier back? Not all that many really. In that respect, I can see how Leon may be looked at the same way.

All of my info above is based on him toting the full load for the past three years and as I said he missed only 4 games. I have owned Westy for 2 of the past 3 seasons in more than one of my leagues and I'll tell you now that regardless of the many GTDs, he always played and I always left him in there and he was absolute money. He's been a workhorse for 3 years now and a Top 5 RB, if not better. To say that he would go off for a ginormous game and then miss 2 games is a total fabrication as he missed 2 games last year that we knew he was going to miss and otherwise only missed a game each of the 2 previous season. In 9 of 14 games last year, Westy scored double-digit points and he averaged almost 20 points per week. He missed 1 game in week 4 and another in week 6, after that he played the rest of the season. He was the 8th best RB in PPR leagues and he missed 2 games and the year before he was the #1 overall RB. And when you take his average points scored per week last year, you'd see that he was the best starting RB averaging more than any other RB. So if you looked at Leon in the same way you look at Westy, he's a stud in the making. Not saying Leon is or isn't capable of stud status but Westy is a no-brainer Stud and workhorse.

Edited by irish

All of my info above is based on him toting the full load for the past three years and as I said he missed only 4 games. I have owned Westy for 2 of the past 3 seasons in more than one of my leagues and I'll tell you now that regardless of the many GTDs, he always played and I always left him in there and he was absolute money. He's been a workhorse for 3 years now and a Top 5 RB, if not better. To say that he would go off for a ginormous game and then miss 2 games is a total fabrication as he missed 2 games last year that we knew he was going to miss and otherwise only missed a game each of the 2 previous season. In 9 of 14 games last year, Westy scored double-digit points and he averaged almost 20 points per week. He missed 1 game in week 4 and another in week 6, after that he played the rest of the season. He was the 8th best RB in PPR leagues and he missed 2 games and the year before he was the #1 overall RB. And when you take his average points scored per week last year, you'd see that he was the best starting RB averaging more than any other RB. So if you looked at Leon in the same way you look at Westy, he's a stud in the making. Not saying Leon is or isn't capable of stud status but Westy is a no-brainer Stud and workhorse.

This analysis is straight up aces.

This analysis is straight up aces.

Straight up, home slice!! :wacko:

Edited by irish

All of my info above is based on him toting the full load for the past three years and as I said he missed only 4 games. I have owned Westy for 2 of the past 3 seasons in more than one of my leagues and I'll tell you now that regardless of the many GTDs, he always played and I always left him in there and he was absolute money. He's been a workhorse for 3 years now and a Top 5 RB, if not better. To say that he would go off for a ginormous game and then miss 2 games is a total fabrication as he missed 2 games last year that we knew he was going to miss and otherwise only missed a game each of the 2 previous season.

OK, I'm wrong about how many games he actually misses, but he does play hurt at times and underproduces because of it. Westbrook had a 4 game stretch last year where he did little to nothing fantasy-wise and definitely wasn't 100%. A situation like this is almost worse, because you just can't sit a Brian Westbrook if he's starting.

OK, I'm wrong about how many games he actually misses, but he does play hurt at times and underproduces because of it. Westbrook had a 4 game stretch last year where he did little to nothing fantasy-wise and definitely wasn't 100%. A situation like this is almost worse, because you just can't sit a Brian Westbrook if he's starting.

What 4 game stretch was that? He never had 2 single-digit outputs back to back. During weeks 10-12, he had points of 9, 10 and 6 as totals for those weeks. He also happened to play the Giants and Ravens in 2 of those weeks. in week 9 he had over 15 points and in week 13 he had a 40 point game. He's consistent and reliable even when hurt and I'd draft him any day of the week as my #1 RB. I'd just make sure I had his handcuff. DUring weks 4 and 6 when Westy was declared out, his handcuff, Buckhalter came in and totaled 17 points and 31 points. So if you made sure to get both last year, that would've been 11 out of 16 weeks of solid, double-digit production.

ETA- And seeing how Westy has been over the last 3 years, I think it's fair to say that he has created a pattern. He practices very little during the week, is almost always questionable and a GTD and almost always plays and is almost always productive. And if you grab his handcuff, you're guaranteed to have solid production 3/4 of the time. That's all you can ask.

Edited by irish

The point I was trying to make, was that the two seem similar based on Leon's point in his career.

Westbrook:

Career Stats

Season Team Rushing Receiving

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD

2008 Philadelphia Eagles 14 14 233 936 4.0 39T 9 54 402 7.4 47 5

2007 Philadelphia Eagles 15 15 278 1,333 4.8 36 7 90 771 8.6 57T 5

2006 Philadelphia Eagles 15 14 240 1,217 5.1 71T 7 77 699 9.1 52T 4

2005 Philadelphia Eagles 12 12 156 617 4.0 31 3 61 616 10.1 62 4

2004 Philadelphia Eagles 13 12 177 812 4.6 50 3 73 703 9.6 50 6

2003 Philadelphia Eagles 15 8 117 613 5.2 62T 7 37 332 9.0 38 4

2002 Philadelphia Eagles 15 3 46 193 4.2 18 0 9 86 9.6 20 0

Leon Washington:

Career Stats

Season Team Rushing Receiving

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD

2008 New York Jets 16 1 76 448 5.9 61T 6 47 355 7.6 40 2

2007 New York Jets 16 4 71 353 5.0 49 3 36 213 5.9 18 0

2006 New York Jets 16 8 151 650 4.3 23 4 25 270 10.8 64 0

and a comparison of 2008.

I bolded the 2003 because Westbrook did not start nearly half of the games he played in for comparison to Washington.

If irish stole content from this site to post on his, how come DMD didn't ban him and his IP permanently? (I wasn't here when this all went down)

To make a long story short, I'm not sure DMD knew all the crap he'd done until recently. I'm not gonna say much more than that since it's a touchy subject sometimes with Mr. Dorey. :pleasedon'tbanme:

If irish stole content from this site to post on his, how come DMD didn't ban him and his IP permanently? (I wasn't here when this all went down)

I NEVER stole anything from this site and used it for MY site, NEVER! I took a single IDP post (not content you have to pay for) by Keggerz and cut and pasted it to another site (not my own) to help a couple guys with IDP stuff over there without crediting him. It was as if you cut and pasted my recent post made about Pierre Thomas or my info here and pasted it elsewhere (and for the record, if you did that, I honestly wouldn't care). First things first, I should've given credit where credit was due and secondly, I should've never done it as it wasn't worth it. I have shared other stories, jokes, fun ideas from here at this other site as well. I have also shared newsbits from other places here and not properly quoted the source from which I got them.

And let me state again I DO NOT need any site's info or opinions to help me prepare my own stuff and never have. I've been playing fantasy football for longer than most of the guys on this board and many others (about 20 years). Now you know the story. Was I wrong? Absolutely. Have I apologized for it? Absolutely. Are there some people who will let it go and move on? Yes, and they are entitled to act that way. Are there others who will harp on it forever? Yes, and they are entitled to do that as well. Two things are for sure though, this is a worn out subject and DMD has obviously decided to give me another shot. A separate forum should be created for Huddlers to go and b!tch about other Huddlers they don't like and what they don't like about them because the amount of threads that get hyjacked to rehash crap like this is ridiculous. Now there's a great, unique idea.

Back to Leon Washington being compared to Brian Westbrook.

Edited by irish

I agree completely and I'm tired of it and socio-political nonsense that has nothing to do with any other thread.

I posted a question as to why DMD didn't ban you to illustrate that if you're posting, then what you "did" could not be that big of a deal. I would like people to leave it alone along with Pats39 or anyone else that does something wrong, please keep it to PMs.

I agree. However, it'll never happen because with the way some people are it can get like High School behavior around here sometimes. Some just love to annoy and fight and spend all their time pissing and moaning about the same stupid crap and then they poison every thread with said trash. And the funny part is that the person I offended, Keggerz, never runs around these boards bashing me because of what happened (and I know he's not fond of me at all) because he's a class act. Don't get me wrong this is a great place and I'm not really sure there are many like it. There are some great "core" vets here who are class acts and who are not only patient but fair minded like; Bier, RR, Pope, etc. However, there are a certain few who just CAN'T move forward. Reliving the same stuff over and over gives them something to live for and hang their hat on. At this point, I just read the garbage spewed, laugh about it and keep going on with my day. It really has made my time spent here much better.

Edited by irish

I don't see Washington as TJones' successor. I think the Jets definitely bring in a rookie since TJones is aging and Washington is in the last year of his contract. Leon wants big $$$ and hates to be compared to Sproles.

Leon is the team MVP even in a limited role, so he has that going for him.

Edited by Riffraff

Rich Cimini from thew Daily News Blog- The Jets Stream continued to write about this topic in this article http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2009...ng-florham.html saying specifically...

Whatever leverage Jones has (and it isn't much) will be ruined if the Jets take a running back with a high pick. They really like UConn's Donald Brown, who reportedly is scheduled to visit with the Jets. They'd be thrilled if he's still around in the middle of the second round.

I think if they were able to get their hands on Brown (very iffy if they wait until their 2nd round pick) it would hurt T. Jones stock more than Washington's for sure. T. Jones would eventually be looking for a new job and Washington would continue in his carved out role. I think the Jets would at the very least have to trade up into the early part of round 2 to grab him.

Nonetheless, this certainly says a lot about how they view Washington's role on the team. He's a role player, CoP guy and nothing more.

Edited by irish

They're now saying that Brown could challenge Moreno and Wells, so yeah, no way does NYJ get him in the second. However, I think there's plenty of other good, big RBs (Jennings, Greene) that can do the job.

I think they take a RB this year and next to replace TJ and LW (who's gonna ask for too much).

I really liked Brown even before he started to climb the big boards because of what I saw him do at the combine. Just seems like an all around solid RB. I'm not shocked that some are talking about him being in Moreno and Wells territory. He's probably a 1st rounder at this point.

I think Washington could be an elite talent like Westy. Dude's a game breaker. I would like to see what he could do given the feature role. They have a very similar skill set. I will be targeting him in my drafts this year and will also be trying to get him in my dynasty leagues.

Edited by HAUG

I think Washington could be an elite talent like Westy. Dude's a game breaker. I would like to see what he could do given the feature role. They have a very similar skill set. I will be targeting him in my drafts this year and will also be trying to get him in my dynasty leagues.

No doubt he has talent. However, I think he's stuck in a situation where the team is content using him in the role he's been playing. T. Jones will continue to get his and with the Jets talking about liking Donald Brown, Washington should continue to fill the CoP role he has been.

They have new coaches, yeah? It's possible they may try something different. Does anyone know the preferences of the coaches?

My comments were about how the current coaching staff has led others to believe things will be. Including the Donald Brown interest.