[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GM of your team for a day

i_am_the_swammi

On the heels of the Cutler threads, thought this would be interesting to get a homer's perspective of what some might do if given the reins to their team for a day. I'll start with my Eagles.

The Eagles have 12 picks in the upcoming draft (including 2 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 4th, 4 5ths, 2 6ths, 1 7th), so it is apparrent they have set themselves up for some maneuvering. Additionally, there is $42M in cap space to allow them to be very creative in taking on contracts of existing players via trades. With the aging and general public malaise surrounding McNabb, and the desire of many to try to move forward in a new direction after failing to win the Super Bowl despite 5 NFC Championship appearances in the last 8 years, here is the recipe I'd like to concoct:

Trade McNabb, 2009 2nd round & 5th round picks, and a 2010 2nd round pick, to Denver for Cutler. Denver would be getting two solid picks to build for the future, as well as a veteran QB to lead them for the next 2-3 years while a long-term plan is developed. McNabb has allies in Denver with newly-acquired Dawkins and Buckhalter already in place, and McNabb's aquisition would allow the Broncos to continue to play at a high level offensively without much (if any) fall-off from Cutler. The Eagles would gain a solid young QB that would be a mainstay to build around for the next 8-10 years. And with Westbrook, Cutler could potentially be even more effective than his days in denver...he has never had a Pro-Bowl RB line up behind him. Many think Cutler's fragile mentality could be hurt by Philly's rough media and fans...fact is, they would endear themselves to a young, white QB after two decades of McNabb/Cunningham, and some terrible failures, in between.

Trade 2009 #1 pick (21st overall) to Arizona for Anquan Boldin. Assuming a deal for Cutler can be struck, immediately give him a devastating weapon to go along with Westbrook, DeSean Jackson and Kevin Curtis. Boldin could be had for this price, and this move could cement the offensive core for years to come.

Sign veteran RB after cut-down days in July/August. A 5-7 carry back such as a Jordan/McCallister/Stecker-type RB, to fill the hole until the Eagles can draft their Westbrook heir-apparent in 2010 (or grab him this year with their 2nd or 3rd round pick).

Draft TE Brandon Pettigrew with the #28 1st round pick. TE is a glaring hole, especially a blocking TE. Pettigrew is a beast, and can not only run-block, but has well above-average hands as well. He would be a perfect fit in this new offense.

The Eagles are very young on both the DL and OL, and while added depth at either position and a true OT or the future would be ideal, we can wait a year to address the need via draft/free agency in 2010. Both Andrews brothers can play tackle (Shawn was drafted to play the position, but was moved to guard because the Ealges already had Thomas and Runyan...moving him there now for the prime of his career is a no-brainer). The LB and DB positons are generally set, though they do need a franchise safety at some point going forward. However, they have enough capable bodies in place to take a chance on the above scenario.

:wacko:

Trade McNabb, 2009 2nd round & 5th round picks, and a 2010 2nd round pick, to Denver for Cutler. Denver would be getting two solid picks to build for the future.

I think you'll have to include at least one 1st round pick to even get their attention. A nice trade for the Eagles, not much for the future for Denver.

Trade McNabb, 2009 2nd round & 5th round picks, and a 2010 2nd round pick, to Denver for Cutler. Denver would be getting two solid picks to build for the future.

I think you'll have to include at least one 1st round pick to even get their attention. A nice trade for the Eagles, not much for the future for Denver.

true...I think that even McNabb and our 2nd 1st would get it done....and a 3rd in 2010 would just sweeten the deal...

"they would endear themselves to a young, white QB"

Really? We are racists?

Sadly, I think a large percentage of the meatheads are indeed racists.....just a quick listen at your local bar will tell you many people believe we need a "smart, white QB to run this complicated west-coast offense". I completely disagree, and think McNabb has been better than we could have ever hoped. I'm just saying, many of the loudmouths that boo him here (and criticize him around the country) are indeed quasi-racist, and many of these Philly fans likely pine for a prototype "All-American" QB (ala Romo/Rivers/Cutler/Ryan/Brady) to lead the team.

I don't agree with it, but the loudmouths that boo at every missed pass likely fit into this category....and I wrote the statement as part of the commentary about Cutler's fragile state. I doubt these bozos would boo/jeer Cutler as mercilessly as they boo McNabb. But that's another topic.

"they would endear themselves to a young, white QB"

Really? We are racists?

Only if you're white.

Interesting ideas. Cutler to Boldin and a legit TE (ie who can stay on the field) would be sweet for them.

I don't know what the Colts' cap situation is but I think I'd start by trying to get Dunn on board. I would think could be had for cheap and is a great fit, even if he only has a year or 2 left as part-timer. Obviously Addai can't be counted on so if Moreno somehow fell (he won't) I might be tempted. I'd re-sign Rhodes for vet min too if I could. Then I would draft the **** out of defense. Unfortunately I don't think there's much of anything FA-wise to be had there.

Oh yeah most of all, if I thought there was even a chance for it to happen, I'd court Cowher like a mo fo and pay him whatever he wants.

Sadly, I think a large percentage of the meatheads are indeed racists.....just a quick listen at your local bar will tell you many people believe we need a "smart, white QB to run this complicated west-coast offense". I completely disagree, and think McNabb has been better than we could have ever hoped. I'm just saying, many of the loudmouths that boo him here (and criticize him around the country) are indeed quasi-racist, and many of these Philly fans likely pine for a prototype "All-American" QB (ala PManning/Rivers/Cutler/Ryan/Brady) to lead the team.

I don't agree with it, but the loudmouths that boo at every missed pass likely fit into this category....and I wrote the statement as part of the commentary about Cutler's fragile state. I doubt these bozos would boo/jeer Cutler as mercilessly as they boo McNabb. But that's another topic.

fixed

Trade Tony Gonzalez to PHI for a 3rd round pick in 2009 draft, plus contingent picks in 2010 and 2011 depending on how far PHI goes in the playoffs (i.e., if they win a SB in 2010, KC gets another 3rd, if they make the SB, they get a 5th and if they make the playoffs, KC gets a 7th ... same process for 2011).

Trade Larry Johnson to HOU ... receive a 3rd this year and a 5th next year.

Trade with CIN, dropping from 1.03 to 1.06, also receiving CIN's 2nd and 5th rounders in return (so CIN can snag an offensive tackle or Curry).

Trade with OAK, dropping from 1.06 to 1.07, receiving OAKs 3rd round pick in return (so that OAK can snag Maclin or Crabtree).

Trade with WAS, sending CINs 2nd (38), KCs 3rd (67) and OAKs 3rd (71) to WAS for 1.13 (WAS currently only has five picks in the draft).

...leaves KC with the following picks...

1.07 (OAK pick) -- Brian Orapko, DE, Texas (or Andre Smith, OT, Alabama)

1.13 (WAS pick) -- Michael Oher, OT, Southern Mississippi (or Andre Smith, OT, Alabama ... or Clay Matthews, OLB, USC)

3.77 (HOU pick) -- best OG, OC or defensive front-seven available

3.85 (PHI pick) -- best OG, OC or defensive front-seven available

4.102 -- best LB, RB, or TE available

5.139 -- best LB, RB, or TE available

5.142 (CIN pick) -- best LB, RB, or TE available

6.175 -- best QB, WR, offensive lineman or defensive front-seven available

7.212 -- best QB, WR, offensive lineman or defensive front-seven available

7.256 (Mr. Irrelevant) -- best QB, WR, offensive lineman or defensive front-seven available

Trade Tony Gonzalez to PHI for a 3rd round pick in 2009 draft, plus contingent picks in 2010 and 2011 depending on how far PHI goes in the playoffs (i.e., if they win a SB in 2010, KC gets another 3rd, if they make the SB, they get a 5th and if they make the playoffs, KC gets a 7th ... same process for 2011).

I'd do that. That would save my #1 this year (which I would have used on Pettigrew) to either sweeten the deal to land Cutler (if need-be), or ideally draft a RB (Wells, Moreno or Brown).

Hmmmm....My 2009 Eagles would look like:

QB: Cutler

RBs: Westbrook, drafted RB

FB: Weaver

TE: Gonzalez

WR: Boldin, DeSean, Curtis & Avant

Seahawks- I'd play it pretty close to the vest and draft Jason Smith @ the #3 spot and sign Torry Holt to a 2 yr. If he's gone then I'd take Crabtree to pair alongside Housh. I know OT is a priority, but if I couldn't get Smith I'd couldn't pass up on Crabtree. I'd target a tough RB like Javon Ringer later in the draft and concentrate on some help on the line. I don't think the Hawks are as bad off as their record indicates, because losing Hasselbeck was devastating last year.

Panthers- Deal Julius Peppers prior to the draft at all costs. I don't think it's going to happen here because there seems to be zero interest out there, but the Panthers have to get back into the first round. If Denver would take him and a 3rd for Cutler I'd do it in a second. Otherwise you have to extend Delhomme to be able to restructure his cap number for the year, but I'd go no more than 3 years total. Target Rhett Bomar in the 3rd or 4th round of this years draft.

Seahawks

I would trade Cory Redding for Julian Peterson

Cut Deion Branch immediately

Restructure Burleson. If he didn't accept, I would cut him too and take Crabtree.

Otherwise, draft Beenie Wells

Cut Brian Russell

Sign a younger project type guard

Sign DJ Hackett.

And, oh yeah, I'd get in the Cutler sweepstakes pronto

I'd do that. That would save my #1 this year (which I would have used on Pettigrew) to either sweeten the deal to land Cutler (if need-be), or ideally draft a RB (Wells, Moreno or Brown).

Hmmmm....My 2009 Eagles would look like:

QB: Cutler

RBs: Westbrook, drafted RB

FB: Weaver

TE: Gonzalez

WR: Boldin, DeSean, Curtis & Avant

Championship!! (game that is. probably another loss)

I would love these moves with the exception of Cutler. Give McNabb those weapons and sit back with your popcorn.

Oh, also, if DEN was serious about dealing Cutler for Cassel straight up (or something close to it), I would do that deal.

I'm sure you would. Don't hold your breath about DEN wanting to though. Course if pressed and that's the best offer, who knows, but I really doubt it.