[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye to Darrell Hackney...Hello to Mark Sanchez?

irish

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbronco...elease-hackney/

So will the Broncos draft a QB like Sanchez with the 12th pick, grab up a FA veteran or draft a rookie QB later in the draft?

I really hope they don't take a QB on day one. Wait for a kid like Bomar or someone in round five or so. McDummy has, at least, been consistent, so based on history, they won't take a QB early. If they do, then what was the point of getting Orton?

So are you saying McD has a plan? :wacko:

I really hope they don't take a QB on day one. Wait for a kid like Bomar or someone in round five or so. McDummy has, at least, been consistent, so based on history, they won't take a QB early. If they do, then what was the point of getting Orton?

To create competition and have a bit more of a veteran backup plan at worst? :wacko: I mean they were already getting 2 firsts and a third for Cutler, right? Orton was just an added luxury who could turn out to be their starter or as a solid backup. Can Simms really be trusted? I don't think so. So they draft an upper end rookie QB- Sanchez and he battles Orton for the starting gig.

To create competition and have a bit more of a veteran backup plan at worst? :wacko: I mean they were already getting 2 firsts and a third for Cutler, right? Orton was just an added luxury who could turn out to be their starter or as a solid backup. Can Simms really be trusted? I don't think so. So they draft an upper end rookie QB- Sanchez and he battles Orton for the starting gig.

Or at very least, they draft a top-end QB and get the luxury of not having to throw him to the wolves. One thing for certain, Orton and Simms are not guys that make you think, "Well, one thing we don't need any more is a QB."

Mind you, I'm not typically a fan of taking QBs in the first round in general so I would tend to lean away from that. However, if they really like what they see in Sanchez, they'd be dumb to pass him over just because they've got Orton and Simms.

Edited by detlef

ok, but I guess my problem is that I don't really believe the top QBs in this draft are all that. And McDummy is supposedly a QB/OC genius. A genius doesn't need the best talent, he's supposed to make good talent the best. Well, put up or shut up McD.

I hear you. But who really knows what the QBs in this class are capable of doing. It's really anyone's guess and many are more often wrong than right when trying to predict how the careers of rookie players will turn out. Like Detlef said, if the Broncos feel very strongly about Sanchez having all the tools and him being a Franchise QB, than by all means draft the guy and build around him. Maybe a guy like Sanchez can come right in and start like Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco did. Or maybe he needs some time developing and Orton is a great insurance policy as he'll either play the role of solid backup or spot starter until Sanchez is ready. Time will tell.

Edited by irish

I'm not convinced that Denver needs a "Franchise QB" to be a good team. Don't get me wrong, they certainly need a good QB at the helm, but I don't think they need to go right out and hunt for another Cutler. I actually think Orton is a decent QB and can be a good but not great QB. He's walking into an offense that is much better than were he came from and could be good. I firmly think that they need to spend every frickin pick on the D, period. If they can just build up some talent on that side of the ball, I think Orton could be good enough to actually help this team.

Now all of this comes from a large amount of faith in McD. I guess I'm just on the "I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt" fence until we find ourselves at 5-11. I'm hoping he does have a plan and will be mildly successful in implementing it. Time will tell and he certainly is starting out as a failure IMO, but I want to see what happens before I completely give up on this guy.

Agreed. IF they feel he's a FRANCHISE QB, then I'm fine with it. Otherwise, we should use those picks on DEF!

Also keep in mind how highly McDaniels thinks of another product of the USC "pro ready" system in Matt Cassel.

Programs tend to recruit the same style and mindset of players year after year to fit the program. I can easily see the Broncos taking Sanchez at 12 if he is still there and build for the future.

Simms is garbage, Orton can compete/hold the job for a year until he is a FA next year and Sanchez is ready to take over.

He is a first year coach that "should" have a bit of leeway in picking "his" guys for the future.

Also keep in mind how highly McDaniels thinks of another product of the USC "pro ready" system in Matt Cassel.

Programs tend to recruit the same style and mindset of players year after year to fit the program. I can easily see the Broncos taking Sanchez at 12 if he is still there and build for the future.

Simms is garbage, Orton can compete/hold the job for a year until he is a FA next year and Sanchez is ready to take over.

He is a first year coach that "should" have a bit of leeway in picking "his" guys for the future.

Man I hope this doesn't happen. :wacko::D

I will admit, Simms has done pretty much nothing in his career to garner much attention but he has only started 15 games mostly due to his injuries.

In the one season that he actually had any extensive playing time at all, 2005, he started 10 games and averaged a decent 6.5 yds per attempt with a decent passer rating of 81.4 and he only tossed 7 picks in over 300 attempts. He is not garbage and he is still young.

And Orton was in the middle of a very good stretch of games when he went down with the ankle injury last season. I doubt that you will see the broncos go QB early if at all this year.

I think McDaniels knows that what this team needs is Defense and healthy legs in the backfield, and I think you will see them draft accordingly. I am not ready to say who the starter will be but I am leaning towards Orton, but either way the QB situation is better than most people here think.

cutting hackney signals absolutely nothing as far as the broncos' draft intentions. it signals that the management don't think he is worth an NFL roster spot.

Also a valid point. However, they are still one QB short in terms of depth and as I stated in my original post- Do they fill that need via FA with a vet, in the draft with a guy like Sanchez or later in the draft with a guy like Bomar or Nate Davis?

Also another reason for the Broncos to be talking up Sanchez is in the hope that they get another team ahead of them to draft Sanchez or have a team trade up to take Sanchez allowing a better defensive player to fall to them?

Why in the Seven Hells would McDaniels piss off & give up a legit franchise QB just to use a first round draft pick on an unknown quantity that hopefully would develop into a QB who can start at the pro level - to say nothing of being a very good or even a great player? Plus, I have heard that McDaniels is fairly high on Simms :wacko: , so I would think that he'll try to show everyone that he's the smartest kid in class by letting either Orton or Simms be his guy.

I'd guess that he'll wait until later in the draft to pick up a QB. Remember - he's running the NE model to a tee, and the only time NE has drafted a QB in day one in the Belichek era was 3rd round Kevin O'Connell. NE picking up QBs late in the draft is reminicent of Shanahan finding good to great RBs late in the draft.

Also a valid point. However, they are still one QB short in terms of depth and as I stated in my original post- Do they fill that need via FA with a vet, in the draft with a guy like Sanchez or later in the draft with a guy like Bomar or Nate Davis?

I'm still surprised that everyone isn't giving any credit to Orton. Only reason he was in the shadows was because Levy's lack of ability to rectonize any talent and kept trying to make Grossman his franchise QB. Orton, once given the helm was very good for the limited help that he had. He had only marginal wide outs, a lousy front line and a poor offensive scheme (IMHO). I will grant you that he did perform sub-par the last four games but still played better than Cutler did in his last four games.

I think if McDanniels is smart, he will let Orton prove himself and use any and all picks to fill needed defenders.

Remember, even with all the RB issues last year, many will be coming back healthy this year. I still have allot of faith in Torain and Hillis, the man has talent. Bell will be in shape this year so if Denver can have a healthy run game, I see no reason for them not going 11-5 this year (that is if they do shore up the defense).

Edited by BearBroncos

I'm still surprised that everyone isn't giving any credit to Orton. Only reason he was in the shadows was because Levy's lack of ability to rectonize any talent and kept trying to make Grossman his franchise QB. Orton, once given the helm was very good for the limited help that he had. He had only marginal wide outs, a lousy front line and a poor offensive scheme (IMHO). I will grant you that he did perform sub-par the last four games but still played better than Cutler did in his last four games.

I think if McDanniels is smart, he will let Orton prove himself and use any and all picks to fill needed defenders.

Remember, even with all the RB issues last year, many will be coming back healthy this year. I still have allot of faith in Torain and Hillis, the man has talent. Bell will be in shape this year so if Denver can have a healthy run game, I see no reason for them not going 11-5 this year (that is if they do shore up the defense).

Also remember the is not rule that says they have to have 3 QB's. Denver had 2 QB's for years before last year. I believe NE usually keeps only 2 on their roster. (I could be wrong about that) I'm frankly not that worried about Simms and Orton as the starters. I am, however, worried that Denver's D can be just as bad or even a little worse than last year if they don't make some drastic changes during the draft!

still :wacko:

I have them going 6-10. Struggle early, finish well. Maybe 8-8 if they draft well, bur right now, we've got like three people on DEF :D

Defense is absolutely horrific. I still think the offense will remain a top 5 caliber team. If we can get a defense that performs even in the realm of 20th, then I will stick to my guns of 11-5.

Defense is absolutely horrific. I still think the offense will remain a top 5 caliber team. If we can get a defense that performs even in the realm of 20th, then I will stick to my guns of 11-5.

11-5? I find that a wee-bit high but I'll have to check out their schedule other than the obvious games and see if that's even plausible.

11-5? I find that a wee-bit high but I'll have to check out their schedule other than the obvious games and see if that's even plausible.

After relooking at their schedule......okay.....10-6 at best. They do play some serious offensive teams and if there is no serious improvement on their defense.................... :wacko:

It's a completely new offensive scheme that I think only two players (Gaffney, Jordan) even know. It's not like NE who lost Tom Brady and everyone knew the scheme for years, the only difference being the rusty back-up QB and they went 11-5.

I thought I was being optimistic with 8-8 if the DEF was ranked around 20th, but damn, you not only drank the Kool-aid, you BJ'ed the Kool-aid pitcher guy.

Hey, more power to ya!

I'm being extremely optimistic, yeah. I just have serious confidence in the Broncos scheme I suppose.

I normally call it how it is, but I really think the offence is already set up for a McDanniel style of offense, less the constent check offs.

Ok, Simms may not be garbage, but I have serious doubts as to his viability as a NFL qb after getting his spleen removed and being unable to beat out Vince (useless) Young and "Father Time" Kerry Collins.

He is a scrap heap guy, no better than Boller or Patrick Ramsey at this point. NOT startable material.

Orton has proven he can lead a team, his only drawback is velocity on deep passes. His leadership ability was greatly praised here in Chicago by all his teammates.

IMO Orton is the man this year and plays for a contract and they take Sanchez at 12 if he is still there for the future.

Ok, Simms may not be garbage, but I have serious doubts as to his viability as a NFL qb after getting his spleen removed and being unable to beat out Vince (useless) Young and "Father Time" Kerry Collins.

He is a scrap heap guy, no better than Boller or Patrick Ramsey at this point. NOT startable material.

Orton has proven he can lead a team, his only drawback is velocity on deep passes. His leadership ability was greatly praised here in Chicago by all his teammates.

IMO Orton is the man this year and plays for a contract and they take Sanchez at 12 if he is still there for the future.

I am leaning towards Orton as the starter myself I just can't bring myself to completely write off Simms. I think he is a classic case of a guy who is a victim of circumstance.

Last year's QB situation in TN was just wierd so let's not even try to fault him for that. He is going to be competition for Orton in getting the starting gig in Denver, and if he plays I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Jrick35