[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What WR makes sense

Brentastic

Being a Bear fan and finally having a viable QB, we are only missing a solid #1 WR and our offense is looking pretty darn competitive. Who could that guy be? I'd like to add Boldin to the mix but I'm not sure what kind of trade bait we have to give - he is my ideal candidate. I'd like to think that we wouldn't be stupid enough to get a guy like Burress, but I suppose he is technically in the mix. A guy like Holt could be used for a year or two, if anything to bring some experience and mentor the yutes - however, I would rather pass. I want a guy with 6 good years left - someone to bond with Cutler for years to come. That pretty much boils down to Boldin, IMO. Forget about any of the FAs, there are no bonified #1 WRs in that group. The only other guy I see as a true #1 is Ocho Cinco, but again, it would be a short term remedy and ideally, I'd like to get a guy still in his 20s.

Discuss.

Being a Bear fan and finally having a viable QB, we are only missing a solid #1 WR and our offense is looking pretty darn competitive. Who could that guy be? I'd like to add Boldin to the mix but I'm not sure what kind of trade bait we have to give - he is my ideal candidate. I'd like to think that we wouldn't be stupid enough to get a guy like Burress, but I suppose he is technically in the mix. A guy like Holt could be used for a year or two, if anything to bring some experience and mentor the yutes - however, I would rather pass. I want a guy with 6 good years left - someone to bond with Cutler for years to come. That pretty much boils down to Boldin, IMO. Forget about any of the FAs, there are no bonified #1 WRs in that group. The only other guy I see as a true #1 is Ocho Cinco, but again, it would be a short term remedy and ideally, I'd like to get a guy still in his 20s.

Discuss.

The Bears lack in WR in a big kind of way. Hester hasn't shown any value but has potential. The problem is they really don't have allot of bargining power now. I'd go (and fast) and try to get Holt before he gets picked up. Burress would be a nice addition and also compliment Cutler, but not sure the Bears want to spend that kind of money or deal with that kind of headache.

Why didn't they keep Berrian?

Not sure I want to give away the sleepers I like with drafts coming up.

Which round? Robiske and Derrick Williams may be there in the 2nd. Robiske has lovers and haters but he looked good at the combine.

Looking for FA's?

What about DJ Hackett? Drew Bennett?

I like Malcolm Floyd but he's a RFA.

Nice veteran talent out there in Harrison and Holt. Not game breakers like they once were, but good locker room/mentoring for some of the WR's they have now and draft this year. Much better options than Plax from that perspective.

Not sure I want to give away the sleepers I like with drafts coming up.

Which round? Robiske and Derrick Williams may be there in the 2nd. Robiske has lovers and haters but he looked good at the combine.

Looking for FA's?

What about DJ Hackett? Drew Bennett?

I like Malcolm Floyd but he's a RFA.

Hackett, Bennett, Floyd?

With all due respect, those are horrible picks. I'm looking for a true #1 with upside - I'd rather build through the draft than make a move for any of the guys you mentioned. Obviously, there aren't too many guys with my criteria, but I can dream can't I?

In addition to Boldin, I think Braylon Edwards would make sense too if the Browns would part with him.

Hackett, Bennett, Floyd?

With all due respect, those are horrible picks. I'm looking for a true #1 with upside - I'd rather build through the draft than make a move for any of the guys you mentioned. Obviously, there aren't too many guys with my criteria, but I can dream can't I?

In addition to Boldin, I think Braylon Edwards would make sense too if the Browns would part with him.

With all due respect... :D:wacko::D

:D

Because Minnesota paid him a TON of cash and there is little reason to pay hugh money to a WR (with good but not great talent) when you have/had the QBs & offense that the Bears had. I liked Berrian, but I wouldn't have signed him to the money he got offered when all I had was Rex/Orton to throw to him.

Dude, come on. Did you read my post? I'm looking for a WR that is already established as a true #1 - not a player we already have and is not proven. He may end up being that guy, but I want a for sure thing.

Are the Bears planning on trading Culter to get some of those number ones back? :wacko:

Dude, come on. Did you read my post? I'm looking for a WR that is already established as a true #1 - not a player we already have and is not proven. He may end up being that guy, but I want a for sure thing.

I just wanted to see your reaction is all. I realize that you and many other Bear fans would like to see an upgrade at WR and Boldin would be the most likely candidate you'd like to see. However, I doubt you get Boldin as the Bears aren't known for making big trades for big name players and you already made one for Cutler. It'll be Hester and Earl Bennett and they'll grab a highly ranked rookie WR in this year's draft. The Bears still also Rashied Davis and Devin Aromashodu, right? There's no doubt they need WR help but it'll more than likely come in the draft with a guy like Robiskie, Derrick Williams, Brandon Tate, etc. Mohamed Massaquoi is another guy whose stock has been on the rise and could be a nice addition.

Edited by irish

Are the Bears planning on trading Culter to get some of those number ones back? :wacko:

He doesn't want rookies. He's looking for established #1 WR's. He's been waiting a long time for team dominance.

Torry Holt and any past friendship he might have had with Lovie while they were both there in STL would make it seem like a good fit.

The Rams were a unique case in an imploding team last year, overshadowed only by the Lions who by all accounts didn't quit on their coach. I think Holt is viable for another 2, maybe 3 years and could provide great mentorship for younger WRs.

i'd also like to see Hester moved back to Special Teams. He goes from 6 returns his rookie year, 6 more his sophomore year and zero last year. He's being misused, he can't catch and that experiment should be considered OVER.

Edited by Pope Flick

i'd also like to see Hester moved back to Special Teams. He goes from 6 returns his rookie year, 6 more his sophomore year and zero last year. He's being misused, he can't catch and that experiment should be considered OVER.

Well said! :wacko: And I guess that's where Holt would fit in nicely for the meantime.

Too long. I'm just a guy who likes offense and we've never had one - I'm so pumped for the new Bears!

I know. I think you need to find the next breakout player you can get cheap. There are only a few legit starters and they will cost. Maybe you could get Boldin but think Arizona will sign him.

Holt may be able to hold down the fort until you could develop someone young.

I know. I think you need to find the next breakout player you can get cheap. There are only a few legit starters and they will cost. Maybe you could get Boldin but think Arizona will sign him.

Holt may be able to hold down the fort until you could develop someone young.

I would go out and try to Lance Moore. He would be a great addition to the Bears and give a solid veteran for Cutler. Also, I would take a flier on Hackett. Bennett, Moore, Hackett and Hester would be a decent rotation for now.

Wouldn't most teams love an established #1 wr in their 20's ? Thats would seem like a valuable commodity to me... Forget Boldin, even if he is traded, the Bears will be outbid on him. I dont know what Ocho's price would be, but Clayton seems to think there's only a 20% chance of him being traded... If somehow they could get Ocho for a 2nd rounder it would be a no brainer imo, but I dont see it happening. So whats left? Holt or Burress. Good luck.

Wouldn't most teams love an established #1 wr in their 20's ? Thats would seem like a valuable commodity to me... Forget Boldin, even if he is traded, the Bears will be outbid on him. I dont know what Ocho's price would be, but Clayton seems to think there's only a 20% chance of him being traded... If somehow they could get Ocho for a 2nd rounder it would be a no brainer imo, but I dont see it happening. So whats left? Holt or Burress. Good luck.

I read somewhere that the Raiders might be interested in bringing Ocho in.

Free agents

The page won't come up for me.

Brent--here's what you need to wait for, and I might be wrong about this. I think Brandon Marshall is a RFA after next year. He's the guy that's going to want to come to Cutler.

Next year, they'll essentially replace Davis with Bennett in the slot. That will be an upgrade if Earl can learn the offense, and I think Cutler will help him obviously.

Besides that, there is nobody out there that I want them to overpay for this year.

They were not a QB away from winning the division. Now, they are in a deeper hole with a lack of draft picks.

So, if it can be done, after next year--let's dream about getting Brandon Marshall in town.

Cutler/Forte/Marshall. I like that.

Brent--here's what you need to wait for, and I might be wrong about this. I think Brandon Marshall is a RFA after next year. He's the guy that's going to want to come to Cutler.

Next year, they'll essentially replace Davis with Bennett in the slot. That will be an upgrade if Earl can learn the offense, and I think Cutler will help him obviously.

Besides that, there is nobody out there that I want them to overpay for this year.

They were not a QB away from winning the division. Now, they are in a deeper hole with a lack of draft picks.

So, if it can be done, after next year--let's dream about getting Brandon Marshall in town.

Cutler/Forte/Marshall. I like that.

Would love to get Marshall next season, although I'd like a guy with less off-field issues, but I'd take him. I think we need to get a guy like Holt for the next 2 years just to groom the young guys (Hester included). Although Holt has mos def lost a step, he is/was among the greatest route runners and pure receivers in the league and I think his mentoring would be invaluable.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,0,194501.story

BEARS BITS BY VAUGHN McCLURE

Chicago Bears coach open to receiver options

Lovie Smith says team may pursue one through free agency or draft

April 8, 2009

If the Bears have ideas of adding a veteran receiver such as Torry Holt or Plaxico Burress, coach Lovie Smith wasn't about to divulge the game plan.

Smith, who attended Tuesday's Ed Block Courage award presentation to Charles Tillman, spoke about the team's receiver options in general terms.

"In the off-season, you try to improve your ballclub any way you can," he said. "Of course free agency, that's an option. The draft is coming up, too.

"Would we like to get another receiver? Possibly. As for how we'll get it, free agency or the draft, we really don't know."

Smith was asked about Holt, a player he has a history with dating back to his days as St. Louis' defensive coordinator. The Rams cut Holt last month.

"Great player, great guy," Smith said. "Torry's in a pool like a lot of other receivers. We evaluate everybody that's available, and Torry's one of them."

Smith was then asked about Burress, a player whose off-the-field issues might scare some teams away. According to WSCR-AM radio, new Bears quarterback Jay Cutler already reached out to Burress.

"Every player that's available, we look into," Smith said. "No more than that."

IMO the Bears are heavily researching rookiesw with the second round pick.

The Bears would also be smart to inquire about Braylon Edwards, Ocho cinco, or ask about Holt's asking price.

Holt is a steady, reliable receiver that is possesion guy at this point in his career. He can also be a vet presence on a young offense.

no way in hell the Bears land Boldin or Marshall next year. If he is RFA, you can bet Denver will give him a 1st round tender (which the Bears no longer have next year). Lance Moore is an interesting idea, but he fits the same mold as Hester being a deep threat. I think they need a middle of the field guy that can catch balls in traffic and short routes.

I think outside of the draft, the Bears may have to wait until the June 1st cut date and see if there are any veterans they can pick up off the scrap heap. EXCEPT, Amani Toomer is still out there! Relaible veteran presence with good hands and great route running that wont come as expensive as Torry Holt . . . . just sayin' . . . .