[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marvin Harrison

CaptainHook

Marvin Harrison's first venture into the NFL's free-agent market has entered its seventh week, and there are no indications the former Indianapolis Colts standout receiver is close to a deal.

"I'm not surprised," said Charley Casserly, a former general manager with the Houston Texans and Washington Redskins who is an analyst with NFL Network. "When I watch him as a player and look at the package, he's not going to get any better at this point in his career.

"He's been injury-prone the last two years. He's missed time. That has to be a consideration when you're going to sign a guy."

If teams have any interest in Harrison, they are keeping it to themselves. In a media environment rife with speculation and rumor, there has been nary a whisper regarding Harrison visiting any other teams. Harrison, 36, spent 13 seasons with the Colts.

Repeated attempts to contact Tom Condon, Harrison's agent, have been unsuccessful.

Cris Carter, who compiled Hall of Fame-worthy credentials during his 16-year career, won't be shocked if Harrison's absence from the NFL extends through the summer, possibly longer.

"There is a certain pecking order in the league," said Carter, whose 1,101 career receptions rank No. 3 behind Harrison's 1,102. "Now, teams are looking at drafting players. Why should I sign a 37-year-old guy when I can get a 21-year-old guy who has a huge upside?"

As for veteran free agents, the most enticing prospect may be former St. Louis Rams standout Torry Holt, who is four years younger than Harrison.

Will Carter be surprised if Harrison remains unsigned when the regular season opens in September? "No, I won't," he said. "Everything is going to be different: the expectations in practice, how he fits in, everything.

"In that situation, the sooner you can get to wherever you're going, the better. The longer he stays out there as a free agent, the less likelihood he's going to play in '09."

The Colts did not rule out Harrison returning, but that might be awkward. Not only would he be making significantly less money, but he also would likely play behind Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez.

Casserly said he believes Harrison can still be productive in the right situation. But the concern is a smaller role and paycheck might make it hard to be enthusiastic. "What a team can't do is have a guy who's always moping around the locker room," he said.

Carter was 37 when he decided to retire.

"You can see it and feel it," Carter said of a player's declining skills. "There's no way (Harrison) believes he's the same player (he used to be).

"Can he still do some really special things as a player? Of course he can. But it can be hard to accept you aren't what you once were. And it's really hard to accept when people don't want you."

from indystar.com