[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which one really tells the tale?

LoneWolf1023

W/L Record vs Total Pts Scored  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is a better indicator of the overall quality of a FF team?

• W/L Record at the end of the regular season?
    • Total Points Scored by the end of the regular season?

Okay Folks,

A friend of mine and I were having a discussion last night about what's a better indicator of the overall quality of a FF team. Namely:

A ) Is it the W/L record they end up with at the end of the regular season?

or

B ) How many total points their starters have scored during the course of the regular season?

You see, we were discussing one of the leagues we're in together last year and I was saying that my team was better then his because my team outscored his by almost 150 pts. He was saying that his team was better then mine because he had a better record then I did. He was 9-4 and made the playoffs while I was 7-6 and did not.

Now, while this does have to with the players on both teams, I'm more interested in discussing which indicator tells the real tale about a FF team.

Now, obviously, if you believe in the record tells the tale, then he had the better team, but if you go by the fact that my team outscored his team for the whole season, then my team was the better team.

So tell me guys, which one do you think is the better indicator. While I'd like for as many people as possible to vote in the poll, some actual responses about this would really be appreciated as well. Thanks.

PS. I do want to note that we're both of the same opinion that the only really good teams we each had, were the ones that won the league championship. Because, after all, that's the only real indicator of how good your FF season was. IF you won the league, your team was great. If you didn't, your team sucked. LMAO No offense intended of course. :wacko:

I voted total points scored. I know that teams can end up with an unforgiving schedule, always losing to the team with the highest weekly point total and their record could suffer for it (losing games 150-146) but I'd much rather not face the highest scoring team on the year and face the guy who had the more favorable schedule and was able to pull out wins because of it.

So to me someone who is 8-6 or 9-5 and has the highest total points in the league (or one of the highest) is more dangerous than the 13-1 team who had a favorable schedule and was never really challenged while having only the 3rd or 4th highest total points in the league.

Okay, I tried to add some more food for thought, but for some reason, after I typed it, it didn't show up. lol

After we agreed that we disagreed about which one was the better indicator, we moved on to whether or not the 6 best teams in the league were making the playoffs.

His contention was that as long as the 6 teams with the best records made the playoffs, then yes, the 6 BEST teams were in the playoffs. Obviously I disagreed with that. lol

So I did a little study involving 10 of my leagues from last year. Basically, I looked at which 6 teams scored the most points and how many of those teams actually made the playoffs. I also took it one step further, to prove a point, and looked at what the record was for the high scoring teams that did not make the playoffs. Here's what I found.

League # 1 - The #1 (6-7) and #5 (6-7) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 2 - The #5 (6-7) and #6 (9-4) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 3 - The #3 (7-6) highest scoring team did not make the playoffs.

League # 4 - The #4 (7-6) and #6 (6-7) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 5 - The #5 (5-8) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 6 - The #5 (5-8) and #6 (6-7) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 7 - The #4 (6-7) and #5 (5-8) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 8 - The #2 (6-7) and #6 (6-7) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 9 - The #5 (6-7) and #6 (6-7) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

League # 10 - The #3 (7-6) and #5 (5-8) highest scoring teams did not make the playoffs.

What did this tell me, that, as far as I was concerned, the 6 BEST teams were not making the playoffs.

Thoughts on this??? Thanks.

Total points, but defense wins championships.

Head-to-Head allows people not to be destroyed by one bad week or falsely elevated due to a really big week. You play your game and move one. The format also keeps people in the running as long as possible.

So I agree - overall points is the best way to measure a team - but I don't believe its a good way to run a league.

Total points, but defense wins championships.

Head-to-Head allows people not to be destroyed by one bad week or falsely elevated due to a really big week. You play your game and move one. The format also keeps people in the running as long as possible.

So I agree - overall points is the best way to measure a team - but I don't believe its a good way to run a league.

Thus All-Play being the best true indicator. It rewards total points as well as conssistency. If you have the kind of team that is zigzagging n points each week, then your all-play record will reflect this by being mediocre. If you are consistently in the higher end of scoring, your all-play record reflects this by being a lot better. IMO the best fantasy team is indeed the one scoring the most points on the most consistent basis.

Now, as far as a FF league goes, H2H adds many more dynamics such as trash talk opportunities with friends, rivalries, etc. as well as heightening the luck element (think of how many times you were the 2nd highest scoring team for the week but lost, or, on the other end of the spectrum were the second lowest scoring team but still won).

It's a double edged sword. I prefer total points over H2H in tie breakers since one week in a season doesn't make it a success or failure, imo.

BUT, if a guy has a 8-6 record with 500 points and another has a 10-4 record with only 400 points, the better W-L record is trump. Maybe the dude with the 8-6 record scored 150 points a few times during the season but lost with low outputs at other times. Consistency comes into play. Some players are more consistent than others. The dude with the better record may have had better consistency during the year.

Everybody can have bad luck with matchups during the season as well. Maybe somebody faced opponents with their best week of the season more often than the next guy. But if you don't want to record wins as wins or losses as losses than you will need to change your league. (or quit complaining.) :wacko:

1) all-play record (your record if you played every other team head to head every week)

2) total points

3) head to head record

This would be good, but do many leagues use the all-play as a tie breaker? Maybe not a bad way to go at all.

Okay, another question for you.

How would you feel about a FF league where you play H2H games each week of the season, but only the 6 highest scoring teams make the playoffs, regardless of W/L record? Just curious. :wacko:

There isnt a right or wrong way. Thats just a different spin on it. It could be interesting, but what would be the purpose of H2H? If there was a reason, it might be something, otherwise there isnt much point to it... unless Im missing something.

How would you feel about a FF league where you play H2H games each week of the season, but only the 6 highest scoring teams make the playoffs, regardless of W/L record? Just curious. :wacko:

H2H would be moot as only the highest overall points would count.

Unless there is a reason for teams to go head-to-head... unless something is based on that record... say... you've got to pay for every loss - I see no reason for this.

I do like the 'all-play' option though.

I think the saying around here is simply this: If you select the guys that score the most points every week, you will win all your games. So I guess the answer is yes.

Not quite... the saying is in response to the many Who Do I Start threads... "Start the player you think will score the most points".

Your saying would hold true in a Huddle MVP Challenge format where you could reuse players each week though, so it does have that going for it.

Pointless as others have mentioned, unless you throw in prizes based on that H2H schedule.

1) all-play record (your record if you played every other team head to head every week)

+1

This.. end thread

+1 again

Total points isnt always a good indicator of strength either...

Which team is better?

weekly scores:

80 70 70 70 70 70 70 70 70 70 70 70 70=920 total points

65 65 65 65 130 130 80 65 65 55 60 60 60=965 total points

Edited by keggerz

Thoughts on this??? Thanks.

#### happens.

You don't like it, change to a total points league. They are probably a better indicator of which FF teams are better (though there are exceptions) but they aren't nearly as fun.

There are teams that get shut out of the playoffs and other who make the playoffs but don't deserve it almost every year in the NFL. You want in? Win your division.

#### happens.

You don't like it, change to a total points league. They are probably a better indicator of which FF teams are better (though there are exceptions) but they aren't nearly as fun.

There are teams that get shut out of the playoffs and other who make the playoffs but don't deserve it almost every year in the NFL. You want in? Win your division.

or those that dominate during the reg season and crap the bed in the playoffs(FF and real NFL)

In all the leagues I run/ play in, I try to suggest using BOTH for playoffs. (based on 12 team leagues)

3 divisions, 3 division winners.

3 other "wild card" entries based on total points scored for the season.

That way if you lose thgrough the "luck factor" of h2h, you can still make the playoffs based on your body of work on the season.

-shrug-

Everyone likes different formats, I love to hear some others!

Not quite... the saying is in response to the many Who Do I Start threads... "Start the player you think will score the most points".

Your saying would hold true in a Huddle MVP Challenge format where you could reuse players each week though, so it does have that going for it.

Pointless as others have mentioned, unless you throw in prizes based on that H2H schedule.

I was just joking dude... :wacko: