[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lions Locking In On Stafford

irish

esp since that's not what people are saying. They're saying the value isn't there to merit Stafford at 1.01 but it is for a top OL, and it's likely they can get a Stafford-level QB next year even picking later, even if they are 8-8 (and lmao @ that - yeah hold your breath).

And you can "what if" stuff to death in any direction so it's pretty meaningless.

they started 6-2 and finished 7-9 in 2007, with essentially the same roster as the 2008 0-16 team, just minus Shaun Rogers and Mike Martz. In this NFL, in that division, with much better coaching, a nice high-value free agent crop, and 5 picks in the first three rounds? Is it all that inconceivable?

Peace

policy

The Lions gave up the second most points in NFL history last year. I really hope they focus on the defensive side of the ball in the early rounds.

Curiosity, how did they do in: Time of Possession, Average time for opponents to score, average plays for opponent to score?

Being able to hang onto the ball is almost as important to keeping points off the board as playing good defense.

As a Pats fan I can say that they got lucky with Tom Brady, and otherwise they did the right thing by focusing on the lines for the first few years of the Belichick era. Win the trench war and you'll do okay.

Aaron Gibson (1999)?

I said "if in doubt"...so, apply to DET...lots of needs to fill...focus on filling an offensive front five or a defensive front seven...unless you feel it in your bones that ___________________, Mr. Skill Positiion Player, is the guy to take.

This argument is so tired in these parts. To say that it doesn't matter who is at the most important position in the game is ridiculous. Sure, the Lions wouldn't be any better with Manning or Brady or any other top QB for that matter.

As far as "waiting until next year," what if the Lions go 8-8 next year and draft in the middle of the round, missing the top QBs? What if this years draft picks don't pan out or somebody gets injured and the offensive line isn't any better next year? I know, let's wait until 2010, because it doesn't really matter who is starting at QB.

Obviously you missed the whole point of my message or at least the last part of my message. :wacko:

Yes, it is important to have a very good QB behind center, but if the Lions don't address their many needs along the o-line and especially that horrible defense, then even the best QB will only make them okay at best. So why not fix some of those problems, with the idea of having a solid team or a very good team, minus a top quality QB, ready for a top quality QB to come in and take the reigns of?

Sure, they can draft Stafford, put him in that offense, behind that line, and hope to God he doesn't get broken up into tiny little pieces by all the defensive linemen who will be going through that line like it's a bar room doors. Or even worse, do this then have him fall apart and never reach his potential because he gets shell shocked due to having to run for his life all the time.

We've all seen it numerous times where a QB gets drafted high, goes to a team that starts him right away, then watched as he self destructed because of all the pressure and because of the beatings he took week in and week out.

So my point was, build the new stud rookie QB a top quality team, THEN hand the reigns over to him. Just something to think about.

Yes, it is important to have a very good QB behind center, but if the Lions don't address their many needs along the o-line and especially that horrible defense, then even the best QB will only make them okay at best. So why not fix some of those problems, with the idea of having a solid team or a very good team, minus a top quality QB, ready for a top quality QB to come in and take the reigns of?

Here's my question: what exactly are the 'many needs' along the O-line? They needed a much better left guard at the outset of free agency, yes--and Daniel Loper certainly represents a big step up from Damion Cook. Backus and Raiola, as much as fans don't think so, are each above-average overall linemen, and Cherilus is quite gifted. Raw, yes, but talented and motivated. Drafting an elite franchise LT would be awesome and everything, but it's far from the biggest need this team has. With the big bodies they've been picking up in free agency (Loper, Lentz, Foster), there's both much more size and much more depth than last season. Kevin Smith was still able to rack up 4 ypc behind that OL last year, and the run blocking should be improved. With Megatron as a security blanket, this looks like an 8-8 offense to me, even with a rookie QB. The problem is that 0-16 defense on the other side of the ball . . .

Peace

policy

Obviously you missed the whole point of my message or at least the last part of my message. :wacko:

Sure, they can draft Stafford, put him in that offense, behind that line, and hope to God he doesn't get broken up into tiny little pieces by all the defensive linemen who will be going through that line like it's a bar room doors. Or even worse, do this then have him fall apart and never reach his potential because he gets shell shocked due to having to run for his life all the time.

We've all seen it numerous times where a QB gets drafted high, goes to a team that starts him right away, then watched as he self destructed because of all the pressure and because of the beatings he took week in and week out.

So my point was, build the new stud rookie QB a top quality team, THEN hand the reigns over to him. Just something to think about.

i can actually agree with what yer saying there in the last line....."So my point was, build the new stud rookie QB a top quality team, THEN hand the reigns over to him. Just something to think about."

as ive said....i think people get to excited when they see matt ryan and flacco on successful teams...and think the fix can be had quickly....well ryan had a strong running game to lean on(19tds 12 ints...pretty good...but hardly setting the world on fire) and flacco had the running game plus the d to lean on

i know its hard....but the lions fans need some patience...i could totally find no fault with them if they totally ignored the qb situation in the first two rounds altogether

. . or they could do the rally smart thing and drafta franchise QB like stafford . . . use Culpepper as a tackling dummy for a year and let Stafford learn the system and get used to the speed of the NFL for next year.

Then they take a BPA at #20 and the top of the 2nd, preferably on defense, and keep rebuilding for next year.

With the Vikings still being solid and the Bears getting a lot better in the offseason, plus a decent Packers team, does anyone realistically think the Lions will be any better than 4-12 this year??

Although it is hard for Lions fans to accept, they need to build for the future because they will be nowhere near the playoffs this year.

Curiosity, how did they do in: Time of Possession, Average time for opponents to score, average plays for opponent to score?

Being able to hang onto the ball is almost as important to keeping points off the board as playing good defense.

As a Pats fan I can say that they got lucky with Tom Brady, and otherwise they did the right thing by focusing on the lines for the first few years of the Belichick era. Win the trench war and you'll do okay.

That doesn't apply to the Lions as we let everyone score so fast,so often, time of possesion is meaningless. Average plays to score? 1-3 I'm guessing.

If the Lions management thinks that Stafford is a franchise QB then you take him. Personally, I don't think that he is. If they can trade out of the pick that's what they should do. I think OT or QB is the pick at #1. If they don't think Stafford or Sanchez is a franchise QB then they should trade down with someone that does.

If the Lions management thinks that Stafford is a franchise QB then you take him. Personally, I don't think that he is. If they can trade out of the pick that's what they should do. I think OT or QB is the pick at #1. If they don't think Stafford or Sanchez is a franchise QB then they should trade down with someone that does.

Exactly.

Unless they REALLY like Crabtree . . . . . :wacko:

i work with a guy from det. he doesn't mind going qb, but would love for them to try for vick........ kind of in line with "let someone other than your rookie franchise qb take the hits" camp..... but vick could ellude the passrush. makes sense

i work with a guy from det. he doesn't mind going qb, but would love for them to try for vick........ kind of in line with "let someone other than your rookie franchise qb take the hits" camp..... but vick could ellude the passrush. makes sense

I'm not sure the team (or even this city) would want that kind of attention. Just let Daunte take the hits this year.

I'm not sure the team (or even this city) would want that kind of attention. Just let Daunte take the hits this year.

National media would come for every home game, booking hotel rooms, renting cars and eating in restaurants making the local economy that much better.

:wacko:

esp since that's not what people are saying. They're saying the value isn't there to merit Stafford at 1.01 but it is for a top OL, and it's likely they can get a Stafford-level QB next year even picking later, even if they are 8-8 (and lmao @ that - yeah hold your breath).

And you can "what if" stuff to death in any direction so it's pretty meaningless.

Are you from Detroit? There are a sh*tload of people around here that take the position that the Lions "don't need a QB" or "it doesn't matter who is at QB."

Stafford isn't the point. Whether Stafford is worth the number 1 pick in this years draft is debatable. Taking a blanket position that the Lions should wait until next year to address the most important position in football isn't.

That wasn't you're original point. The above is a little different from:

Because quite frankly, until they get both lines and their defense fixed, it really won't matter whose at QB.

In any event, I still disagree with you. If a team without a QB has a chance to draft what it believes to be a franchise QB, it has to draft him. If the Lions don't think that Stafford is the guy, well then don't draft him (or Sanchez or whoever down the line.) if they think that Stafford is the guy, it would be sheer stupidity to pass on him because they wanted to build a better team first.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/13/...hell-be-a-lion/

Stafford Telling Teammates He’ll Be A Lion

Posted by Mike Florio on April 13, 2009, 6:47 p.m. EDT

Last week, we’ve heard that the Lions have locked onto Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

The information came from a source with knowledge of the team’s thinking.

This week, we’re hearing the same thing, but from the player’s perspective.

As we hear it, Stafford is telling his former Bulldog teammates that he’ll be the pick, and that he’ll receive more than $40 million, guaranteed, under the contract that the team will pay him.

Stafford is characterizing the move as a “done deal.”

If true, there’s no further reason for the Lions to continue to push the “signability” nonsense, and for the Lions to announce that Stafford is the guy sooner rather than later.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out...