[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Store-bought Root Beer?

Brentastic

• 2 years later...
Henry Weinhards!

I just had this root beer this past weekend. We have a new grocery store called Mariano's and they have a decent root beer selection and an option to put together your own 4 pack. I picked the following brands:

Dog n Suds - I'd give it a 3 out of 5 star rating. Pretty good but not great

Sioux City - turrible :Charles Barkley: I give this a 1 star

Henry Weinhard's - This was very good. I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Rouny's - have not tried this one yet. Probably tonight for dinner

Also, since my last post in here I've tried the local brewery Goose Island's root beer and it's very tasty. I tried it along with Stewart's and it was much better, imo.

Haven't seen Virgil's in awhile but loved that one the best a few years back.

E2A: So my top 3 favorites as of this writing are: Goose Island, Virgil's and Henry Weinhard's. My next goal is to taste all 3 in the same sitting to really narrow down my favorite.

Edited by Brentastic

I wonder if anyone here from the KC area has tried Lost Trail Root Beer? They also make a Sasparilla (which is, technically, different than Root Beer) ... our family did a blind taste test between the LT RB and the LT S, and the Root Beer was a unanimous victor.

Did some homemade RB last night with my nephew and kegged it. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Pretty good, better than most store bought, but need to start experimenting with making it unique. Sprecther's has some extract, which maybe cool

nice :wacko:

Extremely easy, extract, then sweetening to taste, I used white sugar, maltodextrin (from home brew), and honey. There are ways to create the "extract" from scratch, but the ingredients are harder to find. Basically you steep them and go from there. I kegged so I had to wait a few days for carbonation, if you want to bottle you'll need yeast and a priming sugar in each bottle, then follow the recipe carefully.