[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ranking the top 3-4 defense prospects

Chavez

...per the National Football post.

3-4 DE

1. Jarron Gilbert, San Jose State (6-5, 288)

2. Tyson Jackson, LSU (6-4, 296)

3. Alex Magee, Purdue (6-3, 298)

4. Fili Moala, USC (6-4, 305)

5. Everette Pedescleaux, Northern Iowa (6-6, 305)

6. Zach Potter, Nebraska (6-7, 279)

7. Khalif Mitchell, East Carolina (6-5, 318)

8. Kyle Moore, USC (6-5, 272)

9. Matt Shaughnessy, Wisconsin (6-5, 266)

10. Pannel Egboh, Stanford (6-6, 276)

The top two five-technique defensive ends in this year’s draft are Gilbert and Jackson. Both are tall, long-armed linemen with good base strength and an ability to stack blocks on the outside. Gilbert is a better athlete and offers teams a much higher ceiling. Jackson reminds me a bit of former first-round pick Marcus Spears and will likely come in and start from day one — but he doesn’t offer as much upside.

Defensive tackles Moala and Magee may both be best suited to play in a 4-3 scheme, but with a lack of capable five-technique ends in the draft, I can definitely see a team taking a chance on one of these two linemen. Magee is a DT/DE tweener who is only 6-3 but has long arms (35 inches) and a strong upper body. Moala’s transition to the 3-4 DE position may take some time since he doesn’t use his hands as well as Magee. But he does have a strong base, good length and the stack-and-shed ability needed for the position.

One guy to keep an eye on is Pedescleaux. The 6-6, 305-pound lineman has ideal size, athletic ability and length but needs time to develop in an NFL scheme. He possesses a very intriguing skill set for the position and could definitely develop into a starter.

Nose Tackles

1. B.J. Raji, Boston College (6-2, 337)

2. Ron Brace, Boston College (6-3, 330)

3. Dorell Scott, Clemson (6-3, 312)

4. Chris Baker, Hampton (6-2, 326)

5. Roy Miller, Texas (6-1, 310)

6. Sammie Lee Hill, Stillman (6-4, 329)

7. Vaughn Martin, Western Ontario (6-3, 331)

8. Myron Pryor, Kentucky (6-0, 319)

9. Terrance Taylor, Michigan (6-0, 306)

10. Antonio Dixon, Miami (6-3, 324)

Interior linemen Raji and Brace take the top two spots on the nose tackle board; both possess the size, girth and base strength to hold the point of attack and eat up blockers inside. Raji is a more explosive athlete and will be able to play three downs at the next level, while Brace is more of a two-down plugger who is best suited to clog run lanes inside. Clemson’s Scott has been consistently overlooked throughout the draft process but showcases some intriguing tools and athleticism for his size to develop inside. He’s a surprisingly polished nose tackle and has the base strength and technique to control blockers at the point of attack. He definitely has the athletic ability to two-gap and should be able to add a little more weight and not lose much athleticism.

Small-school prospects Baker and Hill both have the size for the position, but what makes them intriguing is their natural athleticism and quickness inside. Baker played the five-technique position at Hampton and could be asked to play anywhere along the defensive line at the next level. However, his short, squatty frame and natural leverage will likely draw some interest among teams in need of a nose. Hill, on the other hand, was an absolute man among boys last season at Stillman, but he still has a way to go from a technique standpoint. However, all the tools are there and he likely will be drafted a bit higher than most think because of his immense upside.

Finally, one guy who has really climbed up drafts boards of late is Western Ontario’s Martin. He possesses a big, thickly built frame with good upper body strength and athleticism for his size. He, like any other small-school prospect, is still raw and has a learning curve, but the physical skill set is there. You have to believe a team would be interested in developing a 6-3, 331-pound specimen who can run a sub-5.0 40.

3-4 OLB

1. Everette Brown, Florida State (6-2, 256)

2. Connor Barwin, Cincinnati (6-4, 256)

3. Clay Matthews, USC (6-4, 240)

4. Larry English, Northern Illinois (6-2, 255)

5. Clint Sintim, Virginia (6-3, 256)

6. Lee Robinson, Alcorn State (6-2, 249)

7. Cody Brown, Connecticut (6-2, 244)

8. Julius Williams, Connecticut (6-2, 252)

9. Victor Butler, Oregon State (6-2, 248)

10. Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois (6-4, 269)

11. Slade Norris, Oregon State (6-2, 232)

12. Jovan Belcher, Maine (6-2, 243)

13. Phillip Hunt, Houston (6-1, 244)

14. Moise Fokou, Maryland (6-1, 233)

15. Jamaal Westerman, Rutgers (6-2, 257)

One of the toughest evaluations for any NFL team is the ability to predict the success of an undersized DE to the 3-4 OLB position. I purposely left USC’s Brian Cushing off the list because I firmly believe he’s best suited to play inside in a 3-4 scheme. I don’t think he possesses the fluidity to play in space or will offer as much as most scouts think as a pass rusher.

Everette Brown is considered the nation’s top rush linebacker as he showcases the first step burst and closing speed to consistently be a force off the edge. He’s a bit undersized to be an any every down DE but has the quickness and fluidity to play in space and rush off the edge. Barwin, Matthews and English all fall into that next tier of pass rushers and should come off the board in the mid/late first or second round range and eventually become starters.

Small-school prospects Walters, Robinson and Belcher have experience rushing the passer and showcase the athleticism to stand-up in the 3-4 OLB role. Robinson offers the most intriguing skill set to me, as he plays with a strong base, good flexibility and natural leverage off the edge. He exhibits a good first step and has the upper body strength to disengage from blockers on the outside. Robinson is being viewed as a mid/late round pick in most draft circles, but I think he has a lot of added value to a 3-4 defense as an outside or even an inside linebacker.

3-4 ILB

1. Rey Maualuga, USC (6-2, 249)

2. Brian Cushing, USC (6-3, 243)

3. Frantz Joseph, Florida Atlantic (6-1, 242)

4. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina (6-2, 252)

5. Clint Sintim, Virginia (6-3, 256)

6. Antonio Appleby, Virginia (6-4, 243)

7. Nick Reed, Oregon (6-2, 245)

8. Mortty Ivy, West Virginia (6-2, 248)

9. Josh Mauga, Nevada (6-2, 243)

10. Ronnie Palmer, Arizona (6-2, 245)

USC’s Maualuga and Cushing are the top two middle linebackers on our board, but both bring different skill sets to the position. Maualuga is a physical, downhill linebacker who loves to attack the ball and create collisions at the line of scrimmage. He needs to become a bit more disciplined but also offers the ability to create a pass rush inside. Cushing is a more instinctive linebacker who diagnoses plays quickly and will always be flowing toward the ball. He does offer some versatility to kick outside, but I feel his best spot will be inside a 3-4.

Another versatile prospect is Sintim, a pass rushing OLB in Virginia’s 3-4 defense who is now also being considered as a 3-4 inside linebacker. Sintim really struggled with his fluidity in space at this year’s Senior Bowl and did not show the type of explosive pass rush ability I expected. However, he possesses a strong frame, smooth footwork and, like Cushing, will add some versatility to a defensive scheme.

Reed, a former defensive end at Oregon, was never given a chance by NFL scouts, no matter how productive he was in college. But after posting a 4.71 40 time at his pro day, he’s now being taken more seriously. At 6-2, 245 pounds, Reed is undersized for the defensive end position, but he plays with reckless abandon, works hard and I think his skill set might be best suited to play inside linebacker in a 3-4. Reed is considered more of a late-round prospect who doesn’t possess much upside, but all the guy has ever done is produce. He should get a shot somewhere at the next level.

I hear Green Bay is interested in NT Sammie Lee Hill if Raji and some of the other tackles are gone when they pick. They should take Raji if he's there.

They would have to groom Hill, but taking him in the 4th would mean they could pick 3-4 impact players earlier. If Thompson trades down from 9 maybe more. If they do trade down Tyson Jackson DE from LSU could be good.

I wonder if they take Andre Smith is he's there at 9. Then they could go Larry English/Clay Matthews/Sintim in the 2nd.

I don't see them taking another FSU DE like Brown. None have been successful and Packer fans remember giving Hasselbeck up to trade up and grab Jamal Reynolds a few years back.

Clay Matthews and Gilbert seem to be moving up right now. So does Connor Barwin. He's real intriguing as a pure athlete. Played TE then DE in college and blew people away with his measurables at the combine. I can see the Pats taking him in the 2nd (maybe even late first)to replace Vrabel.

I hear Green Bay is interested in NT Sammie Lee Hill if Raji and some of the other tackles are gone when they pick. They should take Raji if he's there.

They would have to groom Hill, but taking him in the 4th would mean they could pick 3-4 impact players earlier. If Thompson trades down from 9 maybe more. If they do trade down Tyson Jackson DE from LSU could be good.

I wonder if they take Andre Smith is he's there at 9. Then they could go Larry English/Clay Matthews/Sintim in the 2nd.

<snip>

Clay Matthews and Gilbert seem to be moving up right now. <snip>

Gil Brandt said yesterday on SIRIUS that Jackson may not be there at #9...fwiw...and that he thought Matthews would be the first USC LB off the board...and that English may be a mid-1st round pick now.

Gil Brandt said yesterday on SIRIUS that Jackson may not be there at #9...fwiw...and that he thought Matthews would be the first USC LB off the board...and that English may be a mid-1st round pick now.

All 3 guys are moving up. then. I'd like to see Green Bay take Orakpo but he's probably gone too. Matthews did have the best pro day of the SC linebackers. I wouldn't mind trading down and taking him.

This is from Packerchatters

"While it interested me that Ted Thompson was at the Alabama and the USC pro days it really piqued my interest to learn that he was at Larry English's private workout and I have become really really taking notice that Ted and others in the Packers high group has been at South Carolina 3 times in the last 4 weeks. A player at South Carolina must have caught their eye and they have a deep interest....

I say pay attention to those 'private workouts' and keep tabs on what players Thompson is seeing over the attendance of those Pro Days workouts.

Players like;

Georgia Tech DE Michael Johnson

Missouri DE Evander Hood

Virginia OLB Clint Sintim

Northern Illinois OLB Larry English

OT's: Michael Oher, William Beatty, Jamon Meredith, Greg Cadogan and recent strong interest in Eben Britton.

CB's: Darius Butler, Sean Smith, Mike Mickers, Jason McCourty and Greg Toler."

Mayock has Jasper Brinkley as his #3 ILB right now. Other S Carolina prospects

S 19 Emanuel Cook JR 5-10/214/-

TE 2 Jared Cook JR 6-5/242/-

WR 29 Kenny McKinley SR 6-0/182/-

OT 8 Jamon Meredith SR 6-5/301/-

CB 13 Captain Munnerlyn

What about KC? An OT or Curry? Monroe maybe?

Edited by Randall

What about KC? An OT or Curry? Monroe maybe?

I have been wondering if they take Monroe, who plays the right side...him or Albert? What if they take the kid from Baylor (name is escaping me now)?

Small chance KC trades down with CIN or CLE if Johnson or BEdwards get traded so they have their choice of top WRs...if Curry and Monroe are gone, I wouldn't mind seing this at all and then getting Smith or one of the DEs.

...heard some rumors about KC sending Glenn Dorsey to ATL as he is not going to be a great fit in a 3-4...the rumor was KC gets ATLs 1st and 2nd for Dorsey (who would still grade out as the #1 DT in this draft)...

Curry is more of a traditional 4-3 LB than a 3-4 linebacker. He doesnt have the pass rush history to play an 3-4 OLB (although he certainly has the talent to do so) and he doesnt ahve the bulk to play a tradional ILB (and that would negate his great speed).

He is probably best suited to a MLB that can roam sideline to sideline like Urlacher or a WLB that can cover RBs and Tes . . .

Curry is more of a traditional 4-3 LB than a 3-4 linebacker. He doesnt have the pass rush history to play an 3-4 OLB (although he certainly has the talent to do so) and he doesnt ahve the bulk to play a tradional ILB (and that would negate his great speed).

He is probably best suited to a MLB that can roam sideline to sideline like Urlacher or a WLB that can cover RBs and Tes . . .

Ahh... I guess thats what I missed. Thanks

No basis for it, but I don't like Raji.

I didn't either after his Senior Bowl game. I heard he did great in the practices leading up to the game but in the game was often single blocked and pushed out of position. The play where the QB scored he was pushed outside and out of the play by one blocker.

In the Huddle Mock PON and I liked Orakpo but when he was gone took Tyson Jackson. At the time that was considered a reach.

From what I hear out of Green Bay they'll take Raji if he's there. It could be a smokescreen. The Bengals or Browns will probably take him so it shouldn't be a problem.

If Thompson's guy isn't there I wouldn't mind him trading down a few spots maybe to a team wanting Sanchez(trying to jump ahead of SF).

Is Ted releasing doubts to get Orakpo? :wacko:

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/bl...682485/14428086

On the flipside, Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo seems to be slipping down boards. I've spoken to scouts who operate for teams using the 4-3 and 3-4 alignments and each club is souring on the Longhorn pass-rusher. The more film teams do on Orakpo, the more they are left wondering if he is explosive and persistent enough to consistently generate a pass rush against NFL left tackles or, for that matter, agile enough to drop back into coverage. Orakpo's imposing build is impressive to look at, but belies his career-long struggles with durability, as well; another element that scouts are mentioning as a reason he could slip out of the top ten -- and perhaps considerably farther than that.

...Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo seems to be slipping down boards. I've spoken to scouts who operate for teams using the 4-3 and 3-4 alignments and each club is souring on the Longhorn pass-rusher. The more film teams do on Orakpo, the more they are left wondering if he is explosive and persistent enough to consistently generate a pass rush against NFL left tackles or, for that matter, agile enough to drop back into coverage. Orakpo's imposing build is impressive to look at, but belies his career-long struggles with durability, as well; another element that scouts are mentioning as a reason he could slip out of the top ten -- and perhaps considerably farther than that.

In other words, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

Kevin Acee of the SD U-T wrote today that he thinks AJ will pick Jackson. I have to agree. The only problem is I think he'll be gone by the 16th pick!

Peria Jerry doesn't break the top 10?

What understanding am I lacking that I thought he was a potential first rounder?

just seems like a poor fit in a 3-4. he's a one gap tackle, too reliant quickness and penetration to be a good nose tackle, and shorter than the ideal 3-4 end. he just makes more sense for a team running a 4-3 looking for a tommie harris type.