[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cork It! FFL

twiley

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Official count for the Wine League (we have to come up with a better name);

1 - nogohawk

2 - Lord Opie

3 - twiley

4 - bier meister

5 - bpwallace49

6 - wiegie

7 - Seattle LawDawg

8 - detlef

9 - Kid Cid

10 - Azazello1313

11 - sundaynfl

12 - WashD

Others mentioned

Dookie Style

Skippy

Lucky11

electricrelish

Time to get this thing going ...

From detlef-

That wasn't such a big deal for my league because enough of us all knew each other and saw each other on a daily basis so I was able to pretty much just say that each person's reputation was at stake. I wanted to inspire people to find something cool, not necc. of a certain $ value.

On the other hand, with a bunch of guys from all over the place, I can see how we'd need to come to an understanding. I would say that each person pledges up front and, if enough guys veto it, they have to go back to the drawing board. Those of us with deeper cellars can pledge later once we see where the level is falling.

I've seen sundaynfl's list of juice and there's no way he should be setting the bar because it will be impossible for most to match. On the other hand, if the more casual collectors start it up...

My guess is that we should be looking for somewhere in the range of $50 per bottle. Much lower and we waste too much of the relative value shipping this crap around. There's an outside chance that I'm taking the season off next year as I expect to be eyeball deep in a new project, but if I'm playing at all, I'm playing in this.

If I had to stab at the stakes, I'd say each person stakes $50 in cash up front and a $50 bottle. Somehow, shipping and site management are taken out of the $500-$600 in cash with obviously the rest being doled out to the winners along with the juice. Everyone would need to hold on to their wine until the end so they'd only have to ship it once.

Form LordOpie -

What about winners? I say podium, so 3rd place doesn't have to ship or receive?

1st place: 7 bottles

2nd place: 4 bottles

Thoughts? This is assuming a 12-team league, of course.

For ease, I'd say that if there are multiple owners in the same area, that their bottles are put together to make shipping easier and cheaper? I've got shipping foam and boxes, so if one of the Denver locals didn't win, then we could go in together on shipping.

$50 market price for a bottle is fine by me, but if the suggestion is $50bottle and $50 cash, I'd rather the value distribution go more towards the bottles. $75 bottle, $25 cash?

Is there a good website for determining market value? (I'll just ask my wife, but if we could be on the same page, that'd probably be better)

Edited by nogohawk

Sigh... I was trying to cut back on leagues this year. I can only say that I'm tentative because I'd have to drop at least two more leagues to get involved with this one. If you can fill the league without me, go ahead.

I say, the more the merrier. If we can get 16-teams, that'd rock.

Oh, I'm going to guess that this league will be DEF or D/ST? Sorry, I don't have time to research IDP, so I can't do it if it is an IDP league.

I'm not interested in an IDP either.

I'm not interested in an IDP either.

Well, so much for Big Ernie Crackhead joining. Sorry, if he's not in, I'm not in.

As for the rest. I honestly have no trouble at all with throwing in 2 bottles to add up. You can get some damned fine juice for $40 and, to be honest, I wouldn't even mind just lowering the stakes a tad if that means we get a few more players. $50 bottle with another $20 each just to cover the site and shipping may mean we're looking at a fuller league. And, again, if you can't find a really tasty bottle of wine for $50, you don't have any imagination.

As to the value, I really think we should just assume we're talking about a very cool bottle of wine and leave it at that. If we all pledge prior to the season, we can tell anyone who short-arms the deal to dig deeper. Of course, it is very unlikely to come to that. Did everyone in my league this year step up exactly as far? Certainly not, but it's not like anyone offered up Yellowtail either. Overall, it's sort of a pride issue as none of us are going to want to be the dude that brought the weak sauce. On the other hand, the relative cost to those of us with deeper cellars to go a bit longer isn't quite the same as the guy who doesn't have as much juice around.

If you have any doubts, then offer up two and let the peanut gallery vote on it. Some did that in my league.

I'd even be up for giving the potential winner (obviously it would be me :D ) a choice of one of three from my inventory.

Maybe there is something that they would prefer.

Just my :wacko:

I dragged this over from the other topic to address it. To be honest, I don't really like this much. Part of what I dig about the entire concept is that all of us like different things but, ultimately, we're talking about good wines. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's a good wine and you owe it to yourself to get out of your own way and check it out. Chances are, you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

As it is, the winner is going to have some say as they'll get the first pick in the wine draft. We had 10 players and divided it up 6-3-1 and picked in order 1-3, then two rounds of 1-2, and the rest went to the winner. Or, rather, that's what's gonna happen when everyone sends their flipping wine.

Just my pennies as well. I suppose I don't mind either way but I will not want to choose.

yeah I mean, my "collection" is whatever I bought at the liquor store last week that ain't been drunk yet. but I am reasonably confident I can go down and buy something that won't embarrass me to fulfill my dues (should I somehow not win the league :wacko:). of course, my backup plan is to go break into sundaynfl's mancave and pick out something nice. :D

OK, screw it, I had a second and looked around at some wines I might throw down...

2000 Jaboulet La Chappelle Hermitage (If we're talking $75ish)

Otherwise...

2002 Henri Gouges Nuits St Georges "Les Chenes Carteaux"

2005 Magana Calchetas

2004 Betts and Scholl Hermitage Blanc

I think I just ditched my local league. This is sounding too interesting for me to not be part of it. Put my name in.

Much like Az, my cellar seldom has anything that's sat long enough to collect any dust however, as det can attest, I won't disappoint. I'd much rather find something unique to turn someone else onto than to shlep some run of the mill wine around anyway.

Besides, it gives me a reason to drag the wife to weekly tastings. :wacko:

I think I just ditched my local league.

That was pretty much how I rationalized it. Mind you, it wasn't tough. Far too much bitching and bickering over rules.

Speaking of which, at some point, someone's going to have to offer up a scoring system and such. Also, I don't want to commish and I'd be happy to carve out a stipend for whomever does. Just sayin'.

i am already wanting that nuits st georges.

i will likely run to the store to get something or buy something from our somm here. on my shelf i only have the prisoner, a stag's leap (i think it's an 02 but i am not positive), and a cain worth throwing in. i'll double check when i get home.

I have some stuff that would probably work, but my plan is to pick up something when I am in Switzerland and Provence in two months. Perhaps a bottle of some decent Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Alternatively, I could pick up a few moderately priced bottles of wine from Germany/Switzerland/Provence (including from a Swiss wine-maker that I am friends with) and you could sample the basic local wines available over there. I'll let you guys decide what you want me to do. (i.e. is it better to have a $75 bottle or would you prefer a few $25 bottles of wine that you cannot get over here?)

I have some stuff that would probably work, but my plan is to pick up something when I am in Switzerland and Provence in two months. Perhaps a bottle of some decent Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Alternatively, I could pick up a few moderately priced bottles of wine from Germany/Switzerland/Provence (including from a Swiss wine-maker that I am friends with) and you could sample the basic local wines available over there. I'll let you guys decide what you want me to do. (i.e. is it better to have a $75 bottle or would you prefer a few $25 bottles of wine that you cannot get over here?)

Ooh, bring back some Bandol.

Also, there's some really, really cool swiss whites that you never see here. As I understand it, the Rhone river originates up there and there are some regions that produce clones of Marsanne and other grapes that are somewhat similar that have that same, almost oily texture and floral quality but higher acidity. Really pretty stuff. I did a dinner for a guy who fired open a bottle once. It was rather cheap and 12 years old but really good. More amazing is that I took a half full bottle home with me to turn on my friends and the thing held up over more days still, even when it was nearly empty.

There's a perfect example of why we shouldn't fixate on price.

mmmmm and they say that '97 was the best year of the century.

Slightly off topic and in no way intended as a knock on the Brunello being offered up (because I bet it's pretty damned delicious, especially right now). Just more of a public service announcement. Many are back-tracking on the vintage of the century talk and are simply saying that it's a generous vintage that should yield great wines for intermediate consumption (like for the last few and next five or so years). Kind of like what happened with '85 Bordeaux and what could also be bearing out with '97 Cali Cab.

Obviously there's absolutely nothing wrong with that as nearly all of us don't have the means to hold on to our wines forever and you should hardly be bummed that you don't have to. None the less, if, for instance, you got married in 97 and were holding on to a bottle for your 25th anniversary, you just might want to fire it open on your 15th.