[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would the Lions actually pull a Vikings' move and let the time run out, passing on their pick?

irish

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnis...dex.html?page=1

It will cost them $30M, but Lions have to take Matt Stafford with the No. 1 pick

Saturday, April 11th 2009, 3:53 PM

by: Gary Myers

An interesting concept was floated in the Detroit media last week proposing that the Lions could pass when they are on the clock and then jump back in later and take Stafford or another player a little further down to save money. That would be within the rules, although a huge embarrassment to the NFL. Can you imagine all the buildup to the draft and the Lions pass? But it would save money. ...

If the Lions pass and drop down a few spots, they can save millions in tough economic times, but they run the risk of losing Stafford. The smart thing, of course, is to take Stafford and build the team around him. But these are still the Lions.

I really doubt that this would happen but then thought...hey it's the Lions, you never know. Certainly makes for some food for thought.

The draft pick would still demand the 1st-pick money, especially for a QB.

If this were to happen and say the Lions picked 3rd, they'd still have to pay him #1 overall money?

When was the last time the first pick in the draft wasn't signed before said draft?

Don't remember and like I said, I doubt things get ugly here. I think Stafford is signed before the draft.

If this were to happen and say the Lions picked 3rd, they'd still have to pay him #1 overall money?

Yep, the joys of drafting a qb in the top five... How much did Matt Ryan make compared to Jake Long last year?

Jake Long- Five-year, $57.75 million contract with $30 million guaranteed

Matt Ryan-six-year, $72 million contract that included $34.75 million

Maybe the writer should come to the huddle before publishing something... We can straighten them out.

Yep, the joys of drafting a qb in the top five... How much did Matt Ryan make compared to Jake Long last year?

Jake Long- Five-year, $57.75 million contract with $30 million guaranteed

Matt Ryan-six-year, $72 million contract that included $34.75 million

Maybe the writer should come to the huddle before publishing something... We can straighten them out.

Having an early pick really sucks, especially for a franchise needing a QB. And on top of it, there is more than one doubter out there in regard to any of the QBs in this class. I remember a couple months ago how Stafford was to be an early first round pick but that Sanchez and definitely Freeman were going to drop further. Hell, Freeman wasn't even being mentioned as a 1st rounder several months ago. Now some think he won't even make it past the mid-teens and certainly not 20. Crazy!