[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MJD Gets Paid

Capt. Stanky

Those that follow my posts on this board know about my man crush on Pocket Hercules. He just got a longterm deal from the Jags, but the financials haven't been released yet. S-Jax contract was used as a base though.

Per Rotoworld

The Jags have reportedly agreed to terms with Maurice Jones-Drew on a contract extension.

Terms have not been disclosed, but it's expected to be close to $8 million-per-year with roughly $20 million in guarantees. Jones-Drew's reps were using Steven Jackson's six-year, $49.3 million deal as a baseline. While MJD has never been a featured back, he's been on of the most effective in the game on a per-touch basis. The new deal cements his role as the offensive fulcrum in Jacksonville.

Now do the haters think he will be a top 5 fantasy back?

Those that follow my posts on this board know about my man crush on Pocket Hercules. He just got a longterm deal from the Jags, but the financials haven't been released yet. S-Jax contract was used as a base though.

Per Rotoworld

The Jags have reportedly agreed to terms with Maurice Jones-Drew on a contract extension.

Terms have not been disclosed, but it's expected to be close to $8 million-per-year with roughly $20 million in guarantees. Jones-Drew's reps were using Steven Jackson's six-year, $49.3 million deal as a baseline. While MJD has never been a featured back, he's been on of the most effective in the game on a per-touch basis. The new deal cements his role as the offensive fulcrum in Jacksonville.

Nope. They will still hate on MJD. Thats ok...let them. I'll be extremely happy getting him in the middle rounds if he falls.

He could be a top 5 back with 20+ touches per game. However, I think it would be a mistake for Jax to use him that way when he's been so explosive at around 15 per game. Besides, history says the Jags will use two backs. Greg Jones, Pearman, a draft pick or some combination will share the load preventing a top 5 finish. A big contract isn't going to change the way Del Rio runs the team IMO. I'll believe otherwise when I see it.

Edited by The Irish Doggy

Here's my stand on MJD. In my standard PPR league last year he ended the season with the 2nd most total pts. for RB's(Behind D-Will). The one knock on him has been his consistency. I feel with the fact that he will be the #1 option in the running game his inconsistency will be a thing of the past. I agree that Del Rio won't want to overwork him when he's been so successful at this point, but I do expect some what of an upswing in touches. Personally, in redraft leagues I'm hoping I get a mid to late pick so I can snag MJD in round 1.

Per Rotoworld

4 years 32 Mill for an average of 8 per year.

Nope. They will still hate on MJD. Thats ok...let them. I'll be extremely happy getting him in the middle rounds if he falls.

Middle rounds?!?!? Sure you'd be happy if you got him in the middle rounds as that should NEVER happen and if it did, you're drafting with tards. MJD is a 1st rounder and could very well be Top 5. If he slipped into the 2nd round you're getting excellent value, especially in PPR/TD leagues.

Edited by irish

Here's my stand on MJD. In my standard PPR league last year he ended the season with the 2nd most total pts. for RB's(Behind D-Will). The one knock on him has been his consistency. I feel with the fact that he will be the #1 option in the running game his inconsistency will be a thing of the past. I agree that Del Rio won't want to overwork him when he's been so successful at this point, but I do expect some what of an upswing in touches. Personally, in redraft leagues I'm hoping I get a mid to late pick so I can snag MJD in round 1.

If he does get the upswing in touches, as you feel he will, he will be a stud in any format. My league does not award ppr and he was still the 10th best RB last season, which is a little mis-leading because he was only 30 points from being in the Top 3.

Middle rounds?!?!? Sure you'd be happy if you got him in the middle rounds as that should NEVER happen and if it did, you're drafting with tards. MJD is a 1st rounder and could very well be Top 5. If he slipped into the 2nd round you're getting excellent value, especially in PPR/TD leagues.

:wacko: Let me clarify that lol. I'd be happy to get him in the Middle 1st ROUND

There is no way in hell MJD slips to the 2nd round in any leauge, any format, any size. Unless your drafting with tards lol.

He could be a top 5 back with 20+ touches per game. However, I think it would be a mistake for Jax to use him that way when he's been so explosive at around 15 per game. Besides, history says the Jags will use two backs. Greg Jones, Pearman, a draft pick or some combination will share the load preventing a top 5 finish. A big contract isn't going to change the way Del Rio runs the team IMO. I'll believe otherwise when I see it.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding etc...

I agree 100% on the DelRio comment and with regards to Greg Jones...Jones=VALUE this year in drafts

:D Let me clarify that lol. I'd be happy to get him in the Middle 1st ROUND

There is no way in hell MJD slips to the 2nd round in any leauge, any format, any size. Unless your drafting with tards lol.

Even if John Stewart is there? :wacko:

Per Rotoworld

I have to ask...why did you only post what you did from Roto and leave the following sentence out?

Assuming the Jags don't draft Chris Wells at No. 8, MJD will be a top-five fantasy pick in all formats.

I for one surely dont think Jax will be drafting a RB at 8 but what does strike me as odd is that Rotoworld in their

blurb says he will be the fulcrum of their offense ASSUMING the Jags dont draft Wells at 8...but what is odd is that they

make the assumption that MJD will be the fulcrum based on the $$ he just got but they still worry that Jax might take a RB at

8...what sorta sense does that make? It makes NO sense and to think that the $$$ equal whatever in carries & production is sorta crazy

I'd be scraping my jaw off the floor if they drafted Wells. However, I figure a rookie RB beginning in round 2 is a possibility depending on how they rate their current backups on the roster previously mentioned. I believe MJD himself was a round 2 pick when they had Taylor.

He could be there in round 2.

Del Rio said Greg Jones will be used more so he isn't an every down back. He would be better off with fewer carries if he does more with them.

If big back like Jones is pounding the line Jones Drew may do that.

I have to ask...why did you only post what you did from Roto and leave the following sentence out?

Assuming the Jags don't draft Chris Wells at No. 8, MJD will be a top-five fantasy pick in all formats.

I for one surely dont think Jax will be drafting a RB at 8 but what does strike me as odd is that Rotoworld in their

blurb says he will be the fulcrum of their offense ASSUMING the Jags dont draft Wells at 8...but what is odd is that they

make the assumption that MJD will be the fulcrum based on the $$ he just got but they still worry that Jax might take a RB at

8...what sorta sense does that make? It makes NO sense and to think that the $$$ equal whatever in carries & production is sorta crazy

I didn't fail to include anything. I simply copied and pasted from rotoworld's post at noon today. It appears that the info was updated after that.

I find it hard to believe that people don't expect any kind uptick in touches. If anything he should get some extra touches going from the backup to Fred Taylor to the starting RB. Isn't that enough alone to put him in the top 5? Personally, I think MJD has less question marks than most of the top backs going into this year.

Also, Rotoworld, and other fantasy sites contradict themselves all the time. When it boils down to it's all about what you think of the given player in the given situation. There's been articles posted on Rotoworld indicating Greg Jones will be more involved, but in the very same article it says that Del Rio expects MJD to step up and be the bell cow for the running game, so take it for what you want.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

Again, take it for what it's worth, but this is Rotoworld's latest blurb on MJD:

Jaguars GM Gene Smith referred to Maurice Jones-Drew as the club's "feature back of the future" at Wednesday's announcement of his new contract.

Smith called tailback a "position of interest" if he finds good value in April's draft, but added that locking up MoJo gives the Jaguars "comfort." "We’re excited about getting him the ball more often," coach Jack Del Rio said. "He’s our guy. We’ll be able to start the game with Maurice."

I didn't fail to include anything. I simply copied and pasted from rotoworld's post at noon today. It appears that the info was updated after that.

I find it hard to believe that people don't expect any kind uptick in touches. If anything he should get some extra touches going from the backup to Fred Taylor to the starting RB. Isn't that enough alone to put him in the top 5? Personally, I think MJD has less question marks than most of the top backs going into this year.

you can check what I wrote in the Taylor thread about MJD but I dont think I ever addressed where he would rank FF wise I just touched on carries/touches etc and even after this contract I will still stand by what I wrote in that thread

I would love to see JAX pick up Chris Wells, would remind me of DWill and JStew. MJD is what, 25, has the full confidence of Del Rio, and can catch coming out of the backfield. Barring injury, he will definitely be top 5 this year. I only want to see Jax bolster their OL in the draft, as that was a prob last year.

I would love to see JAX pick up Chris Wells,

Don't you mean "CWell?" And why wouldn't they opt for KMor instead? But really I think M-Crab or JMac is more likely anyway, assuming they fall.

I like MDrew's possibilities this year, but think he'll get over-valued and will cost too much. And I still have a lingering distrust of his consistency, even though he did so well overall last year in PPR.

Don't you mean "CWell?" And why wouldn't they opt for KMor instead? But really I think M-Crab or JMac is more likely anyway, assuming they fall.

I like MDrew's possibilities this year, but think he'll get over-valued and will cost too much. And I still have a lingering distrust of his consistency, even though he did so well overall last year in PPR.

No, I meant Chris Wells, and I have no reason to abbreviate his name. Perhaps you think that is "cool", but I play in serious leagues.

That said, I don't see Michael Crabtree falling to 8, Maclin probably will, and I agree that is more of a need given Matt Jones problems.

However, I see Wells as more of a power runner than Moreno, and with MJD locked up that is what JAX needs.

With this draft deep in WR, I could easily see them grabbing a RB at 8 and waiting on a WR.

No, I meant Chris Wells, and I have no reason to abbreviate his name. Perhaps you think that is "cool", but I play in serious leagues.

That said, I don't see Michael Crabtree falling to 8, Maclin probably will, and I agree that is more of a need given Matt Jones problems.

However, I see Wells as more of a power runner than Moreno, and with MJD locked up that is what JAX needs.

With this draft deep in WR, I could easily see them grabbing a RB at 8 and waiting on a WR.

he was ribbing you because YOU wrote DWill and JStew

I would argue that Knowshown is a better fit than Chris Wells for Jax. At 5'7" 208 I consider MJD to be one of the more successful power backs in the league. His low center of gravity gives him a huge advantage over the competition. I've seen him spin out of tackles countless times with his low center of gravity coupled with his great balance. If they are indeed considering a back at #8 I feel Knowshown is the better value, but this is coming from a UGA fan :wacko:

I still doubt they spend their first round pick on a back with countless other needs. They won 5 games last year and most would argue that MJD is their best player.