[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

John Madden retiring

Randall

Per CNBC.

NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol announced today that John Madden, Hall of Fame coach and history, has decided to retire from broadcasting.

Madden has served as the game analyst for "NBC Sunday Night Football" since 2006.

Madden has been an NFL broadcaster for 30 years and has won an unprecedented 16 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Sports Analyst/Personality.

Madden had a successful career as head coach of the NFL's Oakland Raiders. He guided the Raiders to an overall record of 103-32-7, leading the team to seven AFC Western Division titles and a victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI.

Madden's .750 winning percentage is the best of any head coach in NFL history. In 2006, Madden was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a Head Coach.

Madden retired in 1979 and started his broadcasting career at CBS later that same year.

Madden was the lead NFL analyst for FOX from 1994-2002 and the analyst for ABC's "Monday Night Football" for four years before he came to NBC Sports in 2006. He is the only person to work as the lead analyst for all four broadcast networks.

Madden's EA Sports video game "Madden NFL Football" is the No. 1 selling sports video game of all-time with more than 65 million copies sold since its release 20 years ago.

Madden issued the following statement today:

"It's time. I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and my five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not… It's been such a great ride… the NFL has been my life for more than 40 years, it has been my passion - it still is. I appreciate all of the people who are and were such an important part of the most enjoyable, most fun anyone could have… that great life with the teams, the players, the coaches, the owners, the League… my broadcasting partners Pat and Al… the production people and the fans …is still great… it's still fun and that's what it makes it hard and that's why it took me a few months to make a decision.

I still love every part of it - the travel, the practices, the game film, the games, seeing old friends and meeting new people… but I know this is the right time."

Edited by Randall

Favre finally retires and so does Madden. Coincidence? Sounds to me like the guy is heart-broken.

I thought Madden was great and will miss him.

I know a lot of people like to bag on Madden, especially the last couple of years, but I loved the guy.

He understands the game inside & out - which is a hell of a lot more than most sports announcers can say - and he brings that knowledge to the table with a guy-on-the-next-barstool/John Candy type of manner.

I for one will miss him a bunch.

I'll probably get roasted but, as much as I loved him earlier in his career, his schtick has been old for a decade now.

I agree. I like the guy, but I think Al Michaels being the freaking gold standard is what really held up the broadcast. I hope things still go well without Madden in the booth. I'm optimistic and glad that Madden has decided that he has done enough and should spend his years with his family. He has earned it.

I know a lot of people like to bag on Madden, especially the last couple of years, but I loved the guy.

He understands the game inside & out - which is a hell of a lot more than most sports announcers can say - and he brings that knowledge to the table with a guy-on-the-next-barstool/John Candy type of manner.

I for one will miss him a bunch.

I did to. Even though he did ramble on at times he gave insights into the game few could.

Collinsworth replaced him at times last year and may again. He's gotten pretty good.