[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

John Madden retiring

Randall

I know a lot of people like to bag on Madden, especially the last couple of years, but I loved the guy.

He understands the game inside & out - which is a hell of a lot more than most sports announcers can say - and he brings that knowledge to the table with a guy-on-the-next-barstool/John Candy type of manner.

I for one will miss him a bunch.

:wacko:

ESPN radio is reporting that Boomer Esiason is tapped for the job. I like Collinsworth too.

Uhhg. I like boomer but not as an announcer

He was a great coach but was by far the most annoying announcer ever born. "Now the guy in the black and white striped shirt is what we call a referee." "Now when the other team scores it's not good for the opponents". Ok so those aren't actual quotes but that's how he talks. He insisted on talking about football as if 1st graders were watching. Always saying the obvious and always repeating what the other announcer had just said. I seriously would mute the TV when he talked. Nice guy I"m sure. Just don't like his announcing.

He stated the obvious and jumbled his phrases too often.

He loved football and helped a lot of fans understand the game better. He was animated, entertaining and truly one of a kind.

Football will miss him and so will I.

Have a happy retirement, coach. :wacko:

He's as iconic to the game of professional football as Howard Cosell was before him. He worked for CBS, Fox, ABC, and NBC. He's pretty much as legendary as they get in terms of how the fan perceives the game of football.

Collinsworth won't come close to filling in his shoes, but neither would Troy Aikman or Phil Simms or Ron Jaworski.

Jimmy Johnson or Howie Long would have been much more interesting choices.

Edited by godtomsatan

I know a lot of people like to bag on Madden, especially the last couple of years, but....He understands the game inside & out - which is a hell of a lot more than most sports announcers can say...

Agreed.

...and he brings that knowledge to the table with a guy-on-the-next-barstool/John Candy type of manner.

Not so much. His days of startling insight (my favorite was pointing out that a 5'7" 200+ lb RB "isn't small...he's a big guy, he's just short") have been long past.

Favre finally retires and so does Madden. Coincidence? Sounds to me like the guy is heart-broken.

I thought Madden was great and will miss him.

I can see Madden in a Mississippi deer stand as a special guest on Brett Favre Outdoors.

here's the thing....when you listen to the same person every single week for, what, 20 years or whatever, chances are their vibe is going to wear a little thin on you. yeah, madden played the personable oaf bit, and probably even overplayed the schtick. but he played it better than anyone else has, and he did with a ton of knowledgeable, intelligent insight mixed in. he may not be my ideal game commentator, or anyone elses, but all things considered he was damn good and did a lot for the game.

Could Madden end up with the Raiders again?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...eed=rss.raiders

Might Madden be on Davis' mind?

David White, Chronicle Staff Writer

Friday, April 17, 2009

(04-16) 20:39 PDT -- Raiders owner Al Davis once vowed to hire someone with local ties to help run the football side of things, someone with a recognizable name in these parts.

Maybe that mystery hire will be John Madden, now that the former Raiders coach is leaving the television broadcast booth.

Madden announced his retirement Thursday morning. Already, the conjecture about his possible return to the Black Hole has begun.

He coached the Raiders from 1969-78, going 112-39-7, including a 9-7 playoff record, with one Super Bowl victory and no losing seasons. Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006, he remains close to Davis and keeps his home in the East Bay.

Davis opened the door to Madden's return in August 2007. He was discussing the future of the franchise and who would do what when he was done running the team.

His wife Carol and son Mark Davis would inherit ownership. He then said he would want someone brought in as a consultant for the football side of things.

"John Madden would have to be considered," Davis said at the time.

He also mentioned former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, who started his career with the Raiders in the '60s, as a potential consultant when the time came for Davis to step down.

Tom Gamble, the 49ers' director of pro personnel, also got recent consideration for a similar role with the Raiders, according to multiple league sources.

In September, Davis said he wanted to add a recognizable figure to the front office in the near future. He offered no updates when asked about the job search in February.

At age 73, Madden may not want to become a full-fledged general manager type who runs the football operations. Then again, Davis has shown no signs of giving up that role.

With that in mind, Madden may fit better as a consultant who gives advice that Davis will trust and respect. Madden has been out of coaching for more than 30 years but he still knows his Xs and Os - and there's little Davis enjoys more than give-and-take on game strategy and player analysis.

If Davis could bring back Art Shell for a second coaching tour, there's no reason to think Madden can't rejoin the payroll as a right-hand man. Let the Madden Bus Watch begin.