[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Say it isn't so Goodell

tazinib1

• 4 weeks later...
Not to worry

For now...

From MSNBC:

Cities mentioned as hopefuls for the 2014 Super Bowl include Tampa, Fla., and London, which will host a regular-season game for the third straight season when New England plays Tampa Bay on Oct. 25. London officials have been briefed on the Super Bowl bidding process, but the NFL has repeatedly said no serious talks about an international Super Bowl have taken place.

It doesn't say who "briefed" London...but it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL was more involved then what they are admitting too.

I hate the move, but as a business decision, I think it is pretty smart. Playing the Super Bowl in Europe would generate tons of new fans, some lifelong. If they were ever going to do it, now is the time. It isn't like this decision is going to cost them fans here in the US. We'll still watch ESPN for two weeks and we'll all tune in for the game and commercials. Us traditionalists would be pissed off, but I'm sure we'd all forgive and forget after having to watch baseball all summer.

Palo Alto is much closer to San Francisco than Oakland is to Pasadena. This was before their stay in LA.

What about LA Rams v Steelers Super Bowl XIV played in Pasadena?

eta - San Fran to Palo Alto = 32 miles, LA to Pasadena = 10 miles

Edited by Jrick35

I hate the move, but as a business decision, I think it is pretty smart. Playing the Super Bowl in Europe would generate tons of new fans, some lifelong. If they were ever going to do it, now is the time. It isn't like this decision is going to cost them fans here in the US. We'll still watch ESPN for two weeks and we'll all tune in for the game and commercials. Us traditionalists would be pissed off, but I'm sure we'd all forgive and forget after having to watch baseball all summer.

:wacko:

Something mentioned locally - and it might just be a pipe dream, but part of the 'need' to bring a team back to LA sooner rather than later is the idea that LA hosting Super Bowl 50 - which would be "L" - would be an NFL marketing dream....and hosting SBs is the cash cow for the NFL.