[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears

gilthorp

I didn't expect the Bears to trade out of that spot so I was surprised. We'll see what they get out of those 3rd and 4th round selections. I mean, they have what? 9 picks tomorrow. Hopefully they are as smart as they think they are.

Henry Melton--I'm sick and tired of the Bears taking a chance on these athletes that have hugh ceilings, but why don't they just draft football players? This smells like Dan Bazuin all over again. They should have just doubled down on WR in this spot.

Henry Melton--I'm sick and tired of the Bears taking a chance on these athletes that have hugh ceilings, but why don't they just draft football players? This smells like Dan Bazuin all over again. They should have just doubled down on WR in this spot.

I completely agree. I've been looking up all their picks in my PFW draft magazine, and like you said, most of them are athletes who need to be developed. This Knoxville guy wasn't even in the guide. Angelo, draft some freakin' players. :D:wacko:

:wacko:

I kinda like the Iglesias pick, though.... as much as it pains me as a Horn fan.

Edit: Oh, forgot about the Gilbert guy. That dude is a freak. Good pick.

Edit again: Also like this last pick of Freeman, LB from OSU.

Edited by darin3

Here are the Bears picks with Analysis from nfl.com

Round 3, Pick 4 (68) (From Seahawks) Jarron Gilbert DE 6'5" 288 San Jose State

Pick Analysis:The Bears look to beef up their interior with the selection of Gilbert. A bit of an underachiever, Gilbert has the size and athleticism to develop into a quality interior rusher. With Rod Marinelli as the team's defensive line coach, the Bears may hit on the "boom or bust" prospect.

Round 3, Pick 35 (99) (Compensatory selection) Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'1" 210 Oklahoma

Pick Analysis:Iglesias is a two-fold talent. First, he's an excellent kick returner. Secondly, he's a very good second or third wide receiver. He's fearless over the middle and is comfortable catching bad balls. One of the great things about Iglesias is that if you're a member of his team and you need a haircut, his dad's a barber.

Round 4, Pick 5 (105) (From Seahawks) Henry Melton DE 6'3" 260 Texas

Pick Analysis:He's an athlete with speed. He had an unbelievable pro day, running a 4.65 in the 40-yard dash. He came into Texas as a highly regarded running back before eventually transitioning to defensive end two years ago. He's got a great first move in the pass rush and really good explosion.

Round 4, Pick 19 (119) D.J. Moore CB 5'9" 192 Vanderbilt

Pick Analysis:Moore is an undersized corner who lacked exceptional straight-line speed at the combine and at his pro day, which probably caused his slide to the fourth round. He was once pegged as a potential first-rounder, and he has great ball skills and jumping ability. He provides great value to the Bears in the fourth round and can add depth behind Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher.

Round 5, Pick 4 (140) (From Seahawks through Broncos) Johnny Knox WR 6'0" 185 Abilene Christian

Pick Analysis:This blazer gives the Bears another deep threat in the passing game. Although Knox isn't a polished route-runner, his speed will allow the team to stretch the field with the deep ball.

Round 5, Pick 18 (154) Marcus Freeman LB 6'0" 239 Ohio State

Pick Analysis:The former Buckeye is an intriguing prospect with the athleticism to develop into a starter as a pro. Though he underachieved at times as a college player, Freeman lands in a defensive system that ideally suits his skills.

Round 6, Pick 17 (190) Al Afalava FS 5'11" 213 Oregon State

Pick Analysis:Afalava had a great workout and was a three-year starter in college. He is a terror on special teams and will help Chicago's special teams become even better than it already is. He gives the Bears needed depth in the secondary.

Round 7, Pick 37 (246) (Compensatory selection) Lance Louis OG 6'2" 303 San Diego State

Pick Analysis:Louis is extremely fast and was kind of discovered at his pro day due to his measurables. He ran 4.76 and 4.80 in the 40-yard dash and had 30 reps on the bench press. He'll give the Bears offensive line -- which has lost some depth -- a few reps in practice and a developmental project.

Round 7, Pick 42 (251) (Compensatory selection) Derek Kinder WR

There really isn't a team need that was not addressed in this draft. However, I would have loved it if they could have found a starter in the 2nd round at either SS or FS. Not sure they found the right players, but I'm happy with Gilbert the more I think about it. This is a guy that should push Anderson off the team, and may be versatile enough to move inside on the passing downs. A piece of depth at this position is nice. The WR from OK seems to be more substance over style and that is something I'm pleased with. Looks like a football player, but a limited ceiling? How many #2 and #3 WR's can a team have?

Melton? I hope they prove me wrong, but I've voiced my displeasure over this one already.

Moore at CB is something they needed to address. Vasher is not long for this team. Moore is his replacement. Nice pick, another ball player.

Knox? I'm not Mel Kiper nor will pretend to know anything of him. He is fast, watched his combine work, but this appears to be a hope and a prayer type of pick and at the WR position in the past, these types have been hyped in the organization for years, and never materialize until they go somewhere else. Cutler changes that?

Freeman is something I thought they could have addressed earlier in the draft. Hillenmeyer is finished, or at least his days are really numbered. We are only 3 deep in solid LB's right now, and hope for really good things from this guy, especially after the Bears have been missing on LB's for the last few years. Let's hope this kid is a great value.

Afalava is another that could have been addressed earlier, as the Bears need a starter in a bad way. Now, from what little I know, it appears he has that Archuleta (at his prime) in the box mentality and could be a starter in 2011?

Louis and Kinder are long shots to make the team. Practice squad?

Everyone knows that the Bears draft was Cutler and he'll be a strong add. How much better will me make the receivers? I have to imagine that Rashied Davis is now done. Hester/Loyd/Bennett/Iglesius will strike no fear into anyone. Even though they addressed the OL in free agency, they lost, and I'm not sure it will be any stronger this year. I'm glad they went more D than O, but I don't see a single starter in this draft...at least not for the upcoming season.

I like your eval., but then when your first pick is 3rd round, what can we expect.

Frankly I see a lot of holes plugged. They diversified their picks enuff to cover the bases.

If 5 of those guys make it to starter status in 2 years, we are gold. Yes...we have to put JC at the forefront and build around him. Dam...he's the first QB we've gotten since McMann that we can get excited about.

I'll give them a "B".

God bless ma Bears!