[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Bengals draft

Randall

Looks good on paper. Smith and Johnson could have issues with laziness and character, but time will tell.

Rd 1 - #6(6) Andre Smith (OT) Alabama

Rd 2 - #6(38) Rey Maualuga (ILB) USC

Rd 3 - #6(70) Michael Johnson (DE) Ga Tech

Rd 3 - #34(98) Chase Coffman (TE) Missouri

Rd 4 - #6(106) Jonathan Luigs © Arkansas

and one of the better DEs too

I don't like Michael Johnson as much but he is pretty high on some boards.

I called my die hard Bengal friend and had to give him some congrats. They killed it today.

- Not a big fan of DEs that cant play the run, but getting Johnson at that spot is huge.

- A mauler at Center is just as big when having to face Hampton and Ngata twice a year.

- RM will boost the run defense from day one

- ASmith is a beast.

- Coffman cant block, but he will be everything Utecht should have been.

As a Bengals fan, I don't ever recall being happier with a draft. Only time will tell, but we got two of the top 10 players I wanted, with Andre Smith being at the top. Maualuga should have a smooth transition into our starting MLB, with one of his best friends ex-teamate Keith Rivers on the team. Being able to get someone with Micheal Johnson's upside is just silly in the 3rd. I don't care if you like him or not. I do wish they would have drafted Rashaad Jennings when he slipped, but all in all I'm very pleased.

Is Mike Brown in a coma or something? :wacko::D

Edited by Capt. Stanky

As a Bengals fan, I don't ever recall being happier with a draft.

+1

they filled MAJOR needs and did it in the right sequence. smith was almost a no-brainer although i will be curious to see how he pans out vs. monroe. i'm worried that monroe has more of the fire even though not as much size. no way you let maualuga fall any farther. this is a guy that could have gone in the 1st and the bengals snag him. then you have johnson who seems to be a freak of nature. 6'7", 266 and runs a 4.7 40? pretty nice. then you have coffman and luigs who fill 2 hurting positions and you end up with potentially 5 starters here, very quickly. the only question mark seems to be the motivation factor for a few of the guys and that will come down to the coaching. i have faith in zimmer on the defensive side, no question. for me, it will come down keeping that o-line fired up.

hell, they even got a great punter in the later rounds, which, again, they needed as their punting was awful last year.

very happy bengal fan here.

I remember a few draft guys saying that Monroe had more potential to be a bust than the other tackles in this class, also he failed a few physicals because of bad knees. The Bengals picked the right tackle.

You look at the Bengals defense and they needed anyone that could stop the run. They got the best run defending LB.

They needed anyone that could rush the passer, they got a good one there too.

For a team that had a LOT of holes on offense to fill (and even though they did get OT, C, TE in the "real" rounds), this SEEMED (to me anyway) like a team draft (and offseason) that realized that you can also improve your lot in the NFL by developing a real defense.

Maualuga could be a beast - the chance for this kid being a homerun hit at MLB is much better than taking the 3rd (although very good) Center at that point.

Johnson - don't know much about him other than what I've read, and I like what I read! I have confidence that Zimmer will motivate this guy, then you might have a great pass rusher.

Huber (the punter) - this is a defensive pick as well. Too early? Maybe, but did you see John Gruden on NFL Network talk about his pick ("this kid BOMBS it"). Nice hometown story, but I don't care. This guy can directional kick as well as boom it, will help the DEF a lot.

and don't forget free agents:

Tank Johnson - playing for Zimmer in a 4-3 might get him back to where he was in Chicago (hope so)

Chris Crocker (S) - came in off the street last year to be the best player on the defense for last year. He's a hitter, Bengals need more of those.

On offense:

I'm fine w/ Andre Smith over other OTs. The media puts more stock in the things they cover (combine, workouts) to sell themselves as experts. I hope the Bengals went by what they saw on tape, because on tape he's a beast.

Coffman - Whenever the Bengals get killed by the Colts, I can't help but watch w/ admiration at the weapon that Dallas Clark has become. Coffman gets me thinking about that. My only fear is if our Off Coord. isn't smart enough to develop plays to take advantage.

Luigs (C from Ark) - not as good as the heralded top 3, but still have heard some good comments about him. Put it this way, I'll take Maualuga and this center over Unger and whoever else they'd have gotten in the 5th, any day of hte week.

6th and 7th round picks - just there for training camps bodies. If any are good enough to make it, great, but otherwise I don't get too worked up over picks in these rounds.

I am hoping someday soon that the most exciting day of the season for a Bengals fan is NOT after the draft....it'd be nice for some exciting days to take place late in the season.....but nevertheless, I am very happy w/ this draft