[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When does Steven Mcgee take over for Romo?

polksalet

:wacko:

Just sum up for me what you see in Romo that is so much better than Rivers, Eli or Ryan that you think comparing them to him is "laughable". Romo has a strong arm. Agreed. What else?

BTW, I only said laughable comparing Rivers and Ryan to Romo. But back to your questions, Romo does just about everything better IMO - Romo has better poise, pocket awareness, keeps plays alive, better scrambling ability, better ypc, higher QB rating, and he has that swagger that the others lack. Overall he just flows better as a QB, IMO. Matt Ryan doesn't win games on his own and he only threw 16 TDs (yes, I know he's a rookie). Rivers has a pass happy coach who would rather throw it than give it to L.T. although I do think Rivers is rising to the top as a QB - but I don't think he's quite as good as Romo.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I only said laughable comparing Rivers and Ryan to Romo. But back to your questions, Romo does just about everything better IMO - Romo has better poise, pocket awareness, keeps plays alive, better scrambling ability, better ypc, higher QB rating, and he has that swagger that the others lack. Overall he just flows better as a QB, IMO. Matt Ryan doesn't win games on his own and he only threw 16 TDs (yes, I know he's a rookie). Rivers has a pass happy coach who would rather throw it than give it to L.T. although I do think Rivers is rising to the top as a QB - but I don't think he's quite as good as Romo.

Do you disagree that Romo gets the yips when the games are in January? Seems like postseason performance has to be a major point of discussion when you're talking about QBs you want to lead your team. Romo is awesome if all you care about is the regular season or fantasy points. Some of us like to win Super Bowls though.

Do you disagree that Romo gets the yips when the games are in January? Seems like postseason performance has to be a major point of discussion when you're talking about QBs you want to lead your team. Romo is awesome if all you care about is the regular season or fantasy points. Some of us like to win Super Bowls though.

Romo has played in only 2 playoff games, and yes the Cowboys lost both of those games. But, the first playoff game in 06, he threw no interceptions and had a 89 rating. In 07, he threw one int and had a rating in the 60s. If he continues this for several years, then you can label him as not winning the big one - but most QBs don't have immediate success the first few times in the playoffs. Referencing two games to infer Tony Romo is not a great QB is foolish and naive IMO. There have been a lot of great players who haven't won a Superbowl.

Romo has played in only 2 playoff games, and yes the Cowboys lost both of those games. But, the first playoff game in 06, he threw no interceptions and had a 89 rating. In 07, he threw one int and had a rating in the 60s. If he continues this for several years, then you can label him as not winning the big one - but most QBs don't have immediate success the first few times in the playoffs. Referencing two games to infer Tony Romo is not a great QB is foolish and naive IMO. There have been a lot of great players who haven't won a Superbowl.

He sucks in December too. Over the past 3 seasons the Cowboys are 5-8 in December and Romo has 8 games with a QB rating below 70 and 19 picks.

In fairness, Philips is a jackass and the whole team seems to run out of gas every year, but I'm seeing a pattern with Romo. But hell, if you're willing to give him a few more years to figure it out, as a Giants fan I'll take it! :wacko:

Edited by matt770

He sucks in December too. Over the past 3 seasons the Cowboys are 5-8 in December and Romo has 8 games with a QB rating below 70 and 19 picks.

In fairness, Philips is a jackass and the whole team seems to run out of gas every year, but I'm seeing a pattern with Romo. But hell, if you're willing to give him a few more years to figure it out, as a Giants fan I'll take it! :wacko:

Fair enough, good analysis. I'm not a Cowboy fan, nor am I a hugh Romo fan - but I do think he's one of the top 5 QBs in the league and I don't see Rivers in front of him. I certainly don't think Ryan can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Romo at this point. As long as Cutler gets better, I'll be happy :Bear Fan:

Wow, I wondered how a thread with such an obvious :wacko: title got so many replies... Seems like a lot of hate for Romo right now on this thread save a couple of people. His numbers would be even better without TO dropping so many passes. Romo was horrible in the Philly game at the end of last year, but I Romo had nothing to do with Baltimore getting back to back long TD runs to beat Dallas the week before after Romo lead the team on TD drives late. I'd take Romo over 75% of the starters in the league, which puts him right around 8th on my list. Above him are;

Brees

Brady

P. Manning

Warner

Roethlisberger

Rivers

Rodgers

Thoughts on Eli - Sure, he won the SB, but let's be real... They are a run-first team with a great defense. I think of him more as a game manager type vs. difference maker type.

Thoughts on Ryan - On his way up the list, but give me another season at least to make sure he didn't have some fluky rookie season. I doubt it was a fluke.

Thoughts on Cutler - Kinda similar to Romo in my mind in that he has a great arm but makes questionable decisions at times. Also hasn't really done much in terms of winning games / playoff success. Of course, he hasn't exactly had the Cowboys' defense helping him either...

Darnit! I avoided this thread for sooooo long!! You can't win big with Romo. End of story. In most cities that wouldn't cost you your job. In Dallas, I think it will sooner than expected. But no, Steven Mcgee is probably not the guy.

After Romo wins 3 Superbowls and on the way to a fourth gets cruched like Young and Montana did because other teams are sick of us Cowboys fans rubbing it in that we stand alone, atop Mount NFL with 8 Superbowl Rings. That's when the next guy steps in and roles us on to the 9th. :wacko:

Concider your question Asked and Answered. :D

How are you measuring 'leadership'? Leadership is an intangible that is subjective to guys like you and me watching from our couches. You're nuts if you think Rivers and Ryan are better QBs than Romo. You can't base everything about a player based on playoff wins and losses, especially in the most complete team sport there is. As far as being drafted in the 1st round and using that as ammo in this argument - please :wacko: How many 1st rounders were drafted for a reason and didn't pan out? More have failed than lived up to the drafting I'm guessing. I'm not gonna beat this into the ground, so we'll have to agree to disagree - but you're just wrong :D

I think it's laughable how people on the board speak of Romo's leadership skills, or lack there off, with such authority. Have you played football with the guy? Why would you think his leadership skills are so bad? Peyton Manning had the same amount of playoff wins as Romo after his first 3 years starting. I'm not saying Romo will ever be as good as Manning, but I think the guy gets a very unfair shake at the huddle. The QB gets the glory when a team wins, and conversly gets the blame with they lose. It's not fair, but that's just the way it is in the NFL. If people think that the Cowboy's collapse last year, and their playoff losses under Romo are all his fault, you must have some alterier motive to not like Romo. These are the only QB's I'd rather have on my team from a pure skill and leadership ability:

1. PManning

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Roeth

5. Palmer

If Matt Ryan takes another quantam leap forward he will join the list of QB's I'd rather have over Romo.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

I think it's laughable how people on the board speak of Romo's leadership skills, or lack there off, with such authority. Have you played football with the guy? Why would you think his leadership skills are so bad? Peyton Manning had the same amount of playoff wins as Romo after his first 3 years starting. I'm not saying Romo will ever be as good as Manning, but I think the guy gets a very unfair shake at the huddle. The QB gets the glory when a team wins, and conversly gets the blame with they lose. It's not fair, but that's just the way it is in the NFL. If people think that the Cowboy's collapse last year, and their playoff losses under Romo are all his fault, you must have some alterier motive to not like Romo. These are the only QB's I'd rather have on my team from a pure skill and leadership ability:

1. PManning

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Roeth

5. Palmer

If Matt Ryan takes another quantam leap forward he will join the list of QB's I'd rather have over Romo.

As far as leadership, sure. That said, there are AT LEAST 20 QB's I would rather have in the playoffs. The guy is an absolute choke artist. Nice smile or not, the dude doesn't have that killer instinct that playoff QBs need to have.

Edited by Seahawks21

Thoughts on Eli - Sure, he won the SB, but let's be real... They are a run-first team with a great defense. I think of him more as a game manager type vs. difference maker type.

im sorry were you talking about EIi or Big Ben? because you put Ben on you list when eli had a better rating and completion % while throwing for like 70 less yards.

and yes I <3 Eli Manning

Edited by Robash

1. PManning

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Roeth

5. Palmer

So at first you mention that nobody can understand his leadership unless they played with the guy and then you go ahead and make a list based on leadership ability. I guess that means that you have in fact played with all 32 QB's in the NFL?

So what is Peyton really like. Is Aaron Rodgers a cool guy? :wacko:

As far as leadership, sure. That said, there are AT LEAST 20 QB's I would rather have in the playoffs. The guy is an absolute choke artist. Nice smile or not, the dude doesn't have that killer instinct that playoff QBs need to have.

:sigh: we go through this every year.

The same things were typed right at this very site about Peyton, and not that long ago...

:sigh: we go through this every year.

only because Romo has done nothing to disprove his detractors each and every season.

Sure, he could end up John Elwaying it and win a couple rings 10 years from now....but that is not the debate at hand. The question is, knowing what you know now, who would you rather have leading your team ahead of him.

No one has done one thing to convince me there aren't a dozen other QBs that can do more now, or posess more potential going forward, than Romo.

I can own a Lamborghini, but if it doens't run right, I ain't gonna win many races.

The biggest gripe I have with Romo is the fumbling and ill advised Picks. Sometimes he tries too hard. If he can corral that I think he will has a very succesful career. He put Dallas back on the map, although last year was a massive letdown. I got on him just as much as anyone last year but when cooler heads prevail I like the guy and I think with time and hopefully a new coach :coughHolmgren:cough. He will end up just fine.

About as crazy as me saying DWill would be the starter and go-to-guy last year :wacko:

:D I'll give you DWill for now, but you can't argue with the facts lol. Speculation vs. reality is what were talking about here.

Cmon Brent...give me a REAL argument that says Romo is anywhere CLOSE to being the QB Rivers is.

Edited by tazinib1

Ok lets put some skin behind those words. I'll take ROMO anyone else can take the field. I bet Romo throws for more passing yards and TD's and has a better record (win/lose) then any QB you pick in the NFL.

We will confirm the bet prior to Regular Season so as to be sure we can account for any buildings falling on Romo or the O line or something. So we revist this thread during runup to Week 1 of the regular season. We will define the bet and the stakes. Fair.............

Now let's see who really thinks Romo is that poor a QB and who's just running off at the keyboard.

Ok lets put some skin behind those words. I'll take ROMO anyone else can take the field. I bet Romo throws for more passing yards and TD's and has a better record (win/lose) then any QB you pick in the NFL.

We will confirm the bet prior to Regular Season so as to be sure we can account for any buildings falling on Romo or the O line or something. So we revist this thread during runup to Week 1 of the regular season. We will define the bet and the stakes. Fair.............

Now let's see who really thinks Romo is that poor a QB and who's just running off at the keyboard.

OK, I'm in....even though this was never a stats argument. But adding adding W/L record is too enticing. Cowboys are no better than 10-6 this year, likely 9-7, perhaps even 8-8. Pats went 11-5 WITHOUT Brady....I am sure they can do the same with him.