[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 NFL Sunday Ticket

myhousekey

You would think this would be an easy question to answer but apparently not.

Back in March I noticed my account showed online that I was setup to auto-renew the ST this year. I had been contemplating not renewing this year so I called Directv to tell them to please remove the auto-renew ST from my account. They told me that if I did that I would not be eligible for the lowest price if I changed my mind. I asked how much it was going to be this year. The representative didn't know. I asked when does the auto-renew billing start. I was told sometime in June.

So I figured I would just wait a little longer, find out what the price is going to be and call back before June to cancel if I didn't like it.

Fast forward to yesterday....I logged onto my account and noticed I did not have the ST shown up to auto-renew anymore. I also noticed they had started advertising the ST for this year @ $280 on their main website. The Superfan package is not up for sale yet.

So I shot off an email to customer service:

I have been a NFL Sunday Ticket/Superfan subscriber for a few years now. Previously my account was setup for auto-renewal, however I just noticed it no longer shows up to auto-renew this year. Since I am considering not renewing the Sunday Ticket this year I had a few questions:

1. What is the auto-renewal price this year for the NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan package?

2. Are you offering any promotions/discounts for the Superfan package to existing customers?

Their response:

Thank you for writing! I see that you've been with us for several years and I would like to let you know that we appreciate your business.

Please note that we provide the lowest package price to customers who avail of the NFL SUNDAY TICKET auto-renewal. However, we do not have information about the auto-renew cost for this season yet. At the same token, we do not have the details about offers we may have for the NFL SuperFan. For this concern, you may want to check our website for the latest information about our service and promotions. I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks again for writing and for giving us a chance to respond to your concerns.

Helpful? Not really. I replied:

When will we know what the auto-renew price is? I'll want to know the price before auto-renewing.

Directv's response:

Any proposed new programming or pricing to current DIRECTV services are subject to change until a formal announcement is made, so I don't have any information that I can share with you right now. I have, however, forwarded your email on to our management so that they can have a record of your request.

What the heck? Anyone else talked to Directv about this years pricing?

Edited by myhousekey

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck. I had it for 3 years and only was able to get a $20 discount on the third year. They had originally told me I would receive Superfan for free (because I complained since everyone I knew was getting it for free), but they charged me anyway for it. I called to complain, and they removed the Superfan charges... and spread them out over 4 months instead. Screw them.

You can thank Rupert Murdoch and the NFL for denying competition. They never should have given out exclusive rights when the original agreement expired.

Why not allow competition when the original contract was up? It's good for customers.

Edited by Randall

I paid $250 with free Superfan last year, and that's my asking price for this year. They've always thrown in Superfan when I've asked, but you have to be sure to go through someone at the customer retention department. Make sure you let them know that the only reason you use Directv is because of the ticket, and you have no reason to continue your service if it becomes unaffordable.

"It's good for customers."

Company's make money. They are not make happy machines. How much do superbowl tickets cost?

Is that in euros or pound notes? Shillings? Pence?

I paid $250 with free Superfan last year, and that's my asking price for this year.

This is the same boat I'm in. If I can get it for that price and SF for free I'm in. However, I'm getting the feeling they won't be giving away too many deals this season though.

Edit: Saw the new "fee policy" come out recently from Directv too. Noticed the $15 cancellation fee they charge you now when you cancel service. Wonderful.

Edited by myhousekey

I got ST and all the movie channels for $30 total last year. I called and spoke with customer retention and after a bit was offered the deal I just mentioned. I almost fell off my chair when they offered me that deal. I was in disbelief and thought maybe they meant $30 per month which would still be a great deal for both. However, it was $30 for everything from Aug-Dec. (like $6 per month). I highly doubt that I get that again this year but will give it my best attempt as always. We'll see what I end up with along with others who try to get the best deal.

Edited by irish

This is the same boat I'm in. If I can get it for that price and SF for free I'm in. However, I'm getting the feeling they won't be giving away too many deals this season though.

Edit: Saw the new "fee policy" come out recently from Directv too. Noticed the $15 cancellation fee they charge you now when you cancel service. Wonderful.

How is it even legal to charge you $15 to cancel service??

when I wore my first dress them.

The way I see it, it's $12-15/week for 17 weeks. I really, really like to watch my team play, and they get very few national games.

Each time I travel to watch them live, I easily can spend $500-600, so $15/week seems cheap. People pay $100/month easy for cable/sat with all the movie channels. Name one movie channel that comes close to the entertainment of all the games every week? It's not even close.

I'll pay whatever they charge, it's worth it to me. God love me some TIVO too! :wacko:

The legality of charging you $15 to cancel is not at issue it is the enforcabilty that may be questioned. Whenever one of these companies shoves a new contract down your throat your States laws will control. I know in Mass I could cancel and not pay the fee because this type of contract would fall under the statute of Frauds and since I did not sign anything acceptance of the service is not per se acceptance of the "new" contract. Fight these big Corps and Hats off to Irish, he got a cheaper deal than me, except I made them replace two of my old recievers with the new fangled ones (The Tivo ones are way better they didn't touch my old school Tivo...no way Slapshot, Conan, Caddyshack...all would be lost.

Lastly if the first rep doesn't help hang up and complain to a manager that the last person you talked to was not helpful. Helpful = lowering your bill because you asked, just don't explain that part. :wacko:

Edited by Bug Hunters

The way I see it, it's $12-15/week for 17 weeks. I really, really like to watch my team play, and they get very few national games.

Each time I travel to watch them live, I easily can spend $500-600, so $15/week seems cheap. People pay $100/month easy for cable/sat with all the movie channels. Name one movie channel that comes close to the entertainment of all the games every week? It's not even close.

I'll pay whatever they charge, it's worth it to me. God love me some TIVO too! :wacko:

Yep, pretty much how I see it also. I get to watch who I want, not who the network wants to me too. Direct TV is in this to make money and this is their cash cow. I have no problem paying, hell, the Redzone channel alone is worth the price of admission...

• 2 weeks later...

Called them today to cancel HBO... never watch it anymore. What TV shows we do watch, we watch a season at a time (through Blockbuster.com), and same goes for movies. I can honestly say I probably haven't watched a movie in its entirety on any of the HBO channels in years. Anyway, the rep informs me that by cancelling HBO, I'll be losing the "bundle discount" that I currently have for HBO and the Sportspack (which I get so that I have the Golf Channel, etc.). Basically, instead of like $12.99 per pack, I get them both for a combined $25, so the discount she is referring to is about a dollar... whoopee. I tell her that is no problem, and she cancels my HBO. From previous experience with them, this tells me that there is a 50/50 chance that I'll have to call when it's on my bill next month (they're good at forgetting to take things off your bill, it seems).

While I have her on the phone, I ask her what is the best deal she can give me on the Sunday Ticket. I've had it for years... ever since I got DirecTV, in fact, which was about 7-8 years ago. She says that the best deal they have is the "return customer early-bird auto-renewal" rate of $279.95 (which is the early rate whether you're a returning customer or not, actually). I tell her that I've got "a friend" who threatened to cancel his Sunday Ticket, and was given the SuperFan (Red Zone) package for free, as an incentive to keep the Ticket. I ask her if that would be a possibility, she looked into it, and said that it would be an option.

So, basically, I get the package for the early bird price of $280, with the red zone channel included. I've heard of others getting better deals, obviously, but for me, that's still pretty good. Better than going to a sports bar every week to watch MN play, in which case I would spend $50 a week, minimum. This way, I don't have to drive, can stay home and eat my own food, record/replay/pause any game that I want, etc. Plus, living where I do, I would go nuts being able to only watch Niners/Raiders games 80% of the time (when they're not blacked out).

The Red Zone Channel, by the way, is the best invention ever... If I could just purchase that channel by itself for something like $75-100, I would probably just get that and not the Ticket itself. It is a fantasy football player's dream, in terms of football viewing. Now, I just have to watch my upcoming bills online, because I can almost guarantee it's going to somehow be messed up. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

I just called Directtv yesterday and this is the deal they gave me.

Sunday Ticket $279

Super Fan Free

They also gave me $20 off of my bill for the next 6 months, it all started out at $10 off my bill and no Super Fan package but when I threatened to cancel the Sunday Ticket I got all of the extras.

Basically it is NFL Sunday Ticket and SuperFan for $159, best price I have ever gotten from them :wacko:

I just called Directtv yesterday and this is the deal they gave me.

Sunday Ticket $279

Super Fan Free

They also gave me $20 off of my bill for the next 6 months, it all started out at $10 off my bill and no Super Fan package but when I threatened to cancel the Sunday Ticket I got all of the extras.

Basically it is NFL Sunday Ticket and SuperFan for $159, best price I have ever gotten from them :wacko:

Good deal. I know I'm not going to get what I did last year but I'll certainly try. Does SF have to do with getting all the games in HD or is it something else? If it has to do with HD then I don't even want that as I don't have HD and therefore, will try for a better deal on the ST itself.

Wow, it's been about five years since I had Directv, and I think the price for Sunday Ticket was $199 at that point for me. The scary thing now is wondering how much they'll jack up the price if/when the NFL moves to an 18 game regular season.

Good deal. I know I'm not going to get what I did last year but I'll certainly try. Does SF have to do with getting all the games in HD or is it something else? If it has to do with HD then I don't even want that as I don't have HD and therefore, will try for a better deal on the ST itself.

No, SuperFan is where you get the Red Zone Channel, as well as the "Game Mix", which is something like six games on one screen, and I think one other channel. None of that matters, except the RZC, which is a fantasy footballer's dream. Personally, I split my screen and watch the RZC on one side, and flip between games on the other. Incredible.

No, SuperFan is where you get the Red Zone Channel, as well as the "Game Mix", which is something like six games on one screen, and I think one other channel. None of that matters, except the RZC, which is a fantasy footballer's dream. Personally, I split my screen and watch the RZC on one side, and flip between games on the other. Incredible.

Thanks for the clarification. That's definitely a nice set up.

Does SF have to do with getting all the games in HD or is it something else?

To clarify on this question, you will not get the games in HD without the Supefan package.

SF provides games in HD, the Red Zone channel, a Game mix (up to 8 games on one screen), short cuts (all games replayed in 30 min or less), and Directv Supercast (watch games online).

I've never had an issue about the price of Sunday Ticket. It does sound like a good deal if you plan to watch that many games, but for people like me who really only care to watch their team it absolutely sucks. When they come out with a better model/price for single team or single game packages I'll probably bite. But until then they can keep their ST. This year I'll be investing my money in a better antenna instead.

Edited by rajncajn