[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Falcon IDPs

Reading around some of the minicamp reports I've gathered the following tidbits. Take from it what you will.

- Curtis Lofton will be a three down LB from the middle this year. He supposedly has dropped a bit of weight to improve his speed and coverage ability.

- As expected, Mike Peterson has been running first team weak side LB. Jury is still out as to whether he will be the other nickel LB.

- Stephen Nicholas, not Coy Wire, has been taking first team snaps as the SAM LB.

- Peria Jerry will compete with Trey Lewis for the starting nose tackle position with Jonathan Babineaux remaining as the three technique tackle. It's worth noting that Jerry sprained his knee in the minicamp and isn't expected back until OTAs later this month.

- Probably the most interesting positional battle on the team is the strong safety position. Lawyer Milloy is out leaving a safety job wide open. Second year veteran Thomas DeCoud looked good in limited work spelling both safeties spots last year. The team also drafted William Moore from Mizzou in the second round to help fill the gap. Early reports have DeCoud looking solid and Moore moving well for his size. I am hoping that Moore's coverage ability is tested early so that we don't get another Roy Williams. If the team decides to go with Moore, Erik Coleman probably stays at free safety. If DeCoud wins a starting job, expect Coleman to move to strong safety. Both safeties scored well last year so the winner of this job could probably be rostered in most IDP leagues.

:wacko: What do you think about the DE positions? Do you thinkg Anderson is officially a bust?

Not yet...

Falcons' Anderson Hoping for Breakout Year

Falcons' Anderson hoping for breakout year

May 11, 2009 11:13 AM

Jamaal Anderson, drafted by the Falcons eighth overall in 2007, has yet to meet up to expectations on the football field.

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- If you press a certain button on Ray Hamilton's computer, you get the best of Michael Strahan and Kevin Greene. It's all part of an attempt to get the best of Jamaal Anderson.

Hamilton is the defensive line coach for the Atlanta Falcons and Anderson is the top-10 draft pick from 2007 who hasn't come anywhere close to tapping his enormous potential in his first two seasons.

That's why Anderson has spent a large chunk of his offseason sitting in Hamilton's office watching clips of two of the greatest pass-rushers in history. They've got a couple of hundred sacks between them. Anderson has just two, and those didn't come until his second season.

"They had great usage of their hands," Anderson said. "They always had great leverage. I'm just trying to take some of the things they did and use them to make myself a better player."

Although many fans already have declared Anderson a bust, the Falcons haven't. He still lined up at defensive end with the first team in the three-day minicamp that concluded Sunday. That's a pretty strong indication that the hope is Anderson will step up and keep that position.

"Jamaal's worked hard and he's made progress," coach Mike Smith said. "Unfortunately, guys often times, are judged by their draft status and that comes with the territory. But my experience here with Jamaal in one season is that we are pleased with his progress. We think he's made huge steps from the first day that we got here and we think he will continue to do that."

It's nice to talk about progress, but fans want production. So do the Falcons and so does Anderson.

"This is a big year for me, no doubt," Anderson said.

That's why he's taken a much more studious approach to the offseason. Ask around Flowery Branch about Anderson and the word is that he's spent more offseason time at the complex than just about any player.

In addition to the countless hours of watching film of Strahan and Greene, Anderson also has spent more time in the weight room than ever before. He says he's stronger and quicker than he's been in the past and he wants that to translate into success on the field.

There were some fan-generated rumblings about Anderson perhaps switching from defensive end to defensive tackle. That's not happening, although Anderson will continue to move inside in sub packages, just like he did last year.

"In terms of flexibility he's a guy that we played last year in base at defensive end and played him inside in our sub package and that probably will continue," Smith said. "That gives you a lot of flexibility on game days."

Anderson strongly believes he's ready to be more productive in his third season. He understands the frustration of the fans. Heck, he's frustrated too. That's why he's worked harder than ever this offseason.

"I try my hardest not to pay attention to what's said, but it's pretty much impossible to tune everything out," Anderson said. "My sister's into gossip and she tries to give me feedback that's out there, but all I can do is trust the people who are here every day and they're giving me positive feedback. But the fact is, I've become my own worst critic."

That's why he's been watching so much of Strahan and Greene, and that's why he's spent so much time in the weight room. Anderson knows this is a make-or-break season and he wants to make it.

:wacko: What do you think about the DE positions? Do you thinkg Anderson is officially a bust?

Abraham is still an elite talent and is still an injury risk. Mike Smith will keep him on a short leash to ensure that he stays as fresh as possible. Abraham proved once again last year that he can still dominate when he is healthy. Expect Chauncey Davis to rotate in as necessary but I doubt Abraham sees a dip in numbers at all.

With regards to Anderson, I think his job is relatively safe as well although I believe he is well on his way to bust status. Anderson's size is necessary on the strong side of the line (6'6" 280 lbs) and the talent behind him is situational or inexperienced. However, given the play of the interior lineman as well as young players at end, you could conceivably see Anderson get kicked inside from time to time. Anderson and three technique tackle, Jonathan Babineaux are similar in size with Anderson having the height advantage.

Here's two guys that I can see carving out roles to chew into Anderson's time (at end anyways)

- Kroy Biermann (drafted in the 5th round in 2008 out of Montana) - I like this kid but he is only 240 lbs. Sad part is that he outsacked Anderson last year from a reserve role. I think he is better served rushing the passer as an LB, in either a 4-3 SLB or even a 3-4 OLB look but Mike Smith seems comfortable rolling him out at end from time to time.

- Lawrence Sidbury (drafted in the 4th round in 2009 out of Richmond) - Better size than Biermann and probably has the best shot to unseat Anderson. His speed, long arms and knack for getting to the QB by using an excellent spin move draw comparisons to a poor man's Dwight Freeney. Down side is that the Falcon DL got much smaller over the offseason losing Grady Jackson at nose tackle and replacing him with 305 lb Peria Jerry out of Ole Miss. Sudbury isn't the bigger guy on the line at 265 lb so that could be an issue.

Also an FYI, Thomas DeCoud seems to be gaining the upperhand over William Moore in the battle for the open safety position. Still plenty of camps and OTAs to get through but it is something to monitor.

Also an FYI, Thomas DeCoud seems to be gaining the upperhand over William Moore in the battle for the open safety position. Still plenty of camps and OTAs to get through but it is something to monitor.

I really liked McCoud coming out last year, but got buried on the depth chart. I think he'll land the job, but Moore is talented and could press him for time, especially if he doesn't perform.

Wait...didn't you just proclaim Moore the best safety in the draft? How come he can't beat out the incumbent?

I think you'll see DeCoud at FS and Moore at SS by mid-season if not sooner. And I think Moore will put up very good numbers in that 2 deep system no matter whether your IDP scoring is tackle heavy or big play heavy. I love where he landed for the type of player he is.

I think you'll see DeCoud at FS and Moore at SS by mid-season if not sooner. And I think Moore will put up very good numbers in that 2 deep system no matter whether your IDP scoring is tackle heavy or big play heavy. I love where he landed for the type of player he is.

That could be possible... and is why I was high on DeCoud. I think both positions could actually produce solid fantasy starters.

Wait...didn't you just proclaim Moore the best safety in the draft? How come he can't beat out the incumbent?

I'm pretty sure that wasn't me, and if it was, that was a draft smokescreen :wacko:

I've been paranoid that the Falcons got Roy Williams v2.0 ever since we drafted Moore.