[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heyward-Bey Update

kpholmes

Practiced with the first team all of last week's mini-camp and looked pretty decent according to reports.

Cable said the decision to put him with the first team was to push him right from the start, and he played opposite of Nnamdi most of the camp.

IMO He'll be starting Week 1.

Does that mean take him above Crabtree or Maclin? Probably not.

But he's probably worth considering when looking at receivers like Harvin, Britt and Nicks.

I heard he dropped 3 balls and sat out Sunday with cramps.

Saying he dropped three balls is an irrelevant statistic when you don't know how many he had thrown to him, caught, or how the rest of the receivers compare in his own practice and around the NFL.

I'm not defending drops.... but it seems to be a common thing for the Raiders as of late...

All three of the Raiders top rookies sat on the last day, btw.

From beat writer Jerry McDonald:

“It’s the toughest transition for the rookies with all the running we do,” Cable said. “You just want to be smart with them, its precautionary.”
Edited by kpholmes

The review from SI wasn't good:

Welcome to the National Football League, rookies. Next time, maybe get more water and do more stretching before practice. Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the seventh overall pick of the NFL draft, missed a second straight practice Sunday with cramping, soreness and fatigue in his hamstring, Raiders coach Tom Cable said at the conclusion of the five-practice, three-day minicamp in Alameda. So ended a splash-less debut for Heyward-Bey, who was shut down by Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on Day 1 and dropped three consecutive passes on Day 2 before coming up limp. Heyward-Bey got in a few deep routes, and made a few catches, but made it clear that, as with most rookies who skipped their senior year in college, much work remains.

He'll be drafted way before I'd touch him.

The review from SI wasn't good:

Welcome to the National Football League, rookies. Next time, maybe get more water and do more stretching before practice. Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the seventh overall pick of the NFL draft, missed a second straight practice Sunday with cramping, soreness and fatigue in his hamstring, Raiders coach Tom Cable said at the conclusion of the five-practice, three-day minicamp in Alameda. So ended a splash-less debut for Heyward-Bey, who was shut down by Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha on Day 1 and dropped three consecutive passes on Day 2 before coming up limp. Heyward-Bey got in a few deep routes, and made a few catches, but made it clear that, as with most rookies who skipped their senior year in college, much work remains.

He'll be drafted way before I'd touch him.

This is not really saying much, he shuts down just about everyone. I also think this kid will be under the microscope even more so than most because of were he was drafted and by who he was drafted. Every drop he has will be written about and commentated on. Everyone knows he doesn't have the best hands in the draft and many are already calling him the next Williamson. I would probable not draft him ahead of some of the other guys but as a later 1st round pick, which is where he seems to be falling in most drafts, he's more than worth the gamble IMO.

Saying he dropped three balls is an irrelevant statistic

Oh really? Then how is it making news on NFL Radio? Why is lorenzo neal speaking about it? Why is si.com reporting it?

Listen rook, you draft the kid if you want. He was a reach, and he will have a bad year, just like all the other Raider players. Enjoy your 4-12 season and sticking Bush on IR.

Listen rook, you draft the kid if you want. He was a reach, and he will have a bad year, just like all the other Raider players. Enjoy your 4-12 season and sticking Bush on IR.

:wacko:

You've obviously never read anything I've written about the Raiders.

I also think this kid will be under the microscope even more so than most because of were he was drafted and by who he was drafted.

And who was drafted by the team directly across the bay.

:wacko:

You've obviously never read anything I've written about the Raiders.

He's no Reggie Williams or Matt Jones. :D

Or Jerry Porter.

Ask about Jags receivers successes since Jimmy Smith left.

Edited by Randall

I can't tell if I should be intrigued or if being intrigued by his physical skills makes me as stupid as the Raiders. Logic would say that you have a QB with a big arm that likes to go down the field, and you have a receiver that is at his best in those same situations. That should equate to a handful of big plays, thus, a handful of big games. That said, Randy Moss couldn't even gain fantasy relevance as a Raider. Under the traditional Raider model, DHB gets hurt and/or underperforms. Anybody bold enough to project stats?

Bold? What is so bold about taking a guess on his stats? These guys who we give our money to do it for a living. I'll do it for free.

35/420/5 for little girl hands.

I'll also bring you skip's head for free.

Edited by BIG SACK

Is this Mike Walkers year or do the rooks make him irrelevant?

With a very disappointing two years under his belt, it is going to be very hard to get excited about him. As a Jaguar fan, I love the fact he is there, and if he can stay healthy, he does have the tools to be a legitimate NFL WR.

From a fantasy perspective, he's only worthy of a spot in very deep leagues... that info is as of today. Things could change very quickly in training camp and preseason. For what it's worth, he looked superb in OTA's.

With a very disappointing two years under his belt, it is going to be very hard to get excited about him. As a Jaguar fan, I love the fact he is there, and if he can stay healthy, he does have the tools to be a legitimate NFL WR.

From a fantasy perspective, he's only worthy of a spot in very deep leagues... that info is as of today. Things could change very quickly in training camp and preseason. For what it's worth, he looked superb in OTA's.

This is true of every receiver on the Jags since Jimmy Smith. They have some solid rookies this year but I wonder if it will change. Perhaps they should bring in Jimmy as a coach or consultant.

This is true of every receiver on the Jags since Jimmy Smith. They have some solid rookies this year but I wonder if it will change. Perhaps they should bring in Jimmy as a coach or consultant.

I think Jimmy was already consulting with Matt Jones :wacko:

Guys... We're discussing Raiders failed and future failures at WR, not Jacksonville's.

I think its just kinda hard to stay on topic when its the Raiders.

The biggest mistake the Raiders made this year was getting rid of Curry. I still don't get why he wasn't given the chance to succeed in Oakland. Baffling.