[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie vs Marshal

rajncajn

Interesting article, although the obvious argument would be that Bush has a better offense than Marshall did & that Marshall ran for significantly more yards. The difference there though is Reggie shares carries whereas Faulk was the primary. The writer certainly is drinking the Kool-aid, to which he's not really hiding, but he does make a good point.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/168236-...-vs-reggie-bush

Marshall Faulk Versus Reggie Bush

by Alex Rodriguez (Contributor)

This is an article comparing one of the best running backs in Marshall Faulk to one who was projected to be one of the best, Reggie Bush.

I have a list of things both of these running backs have in common.

Now, I am not saying that Bush is as good as Faulk was, but what I am saying will probably change your minds on Reggie Bush being labeled as a bust.

Faulk was taken second overall in the 1994 draft by the Indianapolis Colts and Bush was taken second overall in the 2006 draft by the New Orleans Saints.

Both players went to 3-13 teams.

Faulk was born in New Orleans in 1973, Reggie Bush began his NFL career in New Orleans.

Now I will begin to actually compare Faulk's and Bush's careers. I will mostly base this comparison on the first three years of their careers.

Bush has yet to pass the 1,000 yard mark on the ground, but like Faulk, Bush has been very effective in the receiving game.

In his first three years, Marshall Faulk recorded 164 receptions, 1425 receiving yards, and four receiving touchdowns. Bush recorded 213 receptions, 1599 receiving yards and eight receiving touchdowns.

Faulk and Bush both had issues with fumbling in their first three seasons. Faulk fumbled 15 times, while Bush fumbled 13 times.

Another issue that troubled Faulk was injuries in his third season. That limited him to just 13 games. In Bush's third season, he was also injured, causing him to miss games.

By comparing these two men solely on the third seasons of their careers, we see that Bush averaged 3.8 yards per carry and Marshall Faulk averaged 3.0 yards per carry.

Now many people might want to bite my neck off for this article comparing Bush to a future Hall of Famer in Faulk, but it is something I felt should be looked at by others.

Faulk came back in his fourth season and made up for his poor third season.

I hope that Reggie Bush can turn his career around like Faulk did and give the Saints the explosive running game that many people expected.

What's missing is the obvious: rushing totals their 1st three years.

Faulk: 2947

Bush: 1550

However, some could argue that is a good thing for Bush, since he has far less wear-and-tear on his wheels at the same point as Marshall.

But you are right....this guy is drinking pitchers of kool-aid at this point to even make this comparison. Faulk was an all-around stud RB....Bush, at this point, is a pass-catching novelty.

What's missing is the obvious: rushing totals their 1st three years.

Faulk: 2947

Bush: 1550

However, some could argue that is a good thing for Bush, since he has far less wear-and-tear on his wheels at the same point as Marshall.

But you are right....this guy is drinking pitchers of kool-aid at this point to even make this comparison. Faulk was an all-around stud RB....Bush, at this point, is a pass-catching novelty.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing that with the same number of carries that Bush would have had as many yards. I think throughout his career he will need either an outstanding offensive line or a complimentary back and therefore should never really be compared to a Marshall Faulk or Tomlinson. But in a world now where most teams are using/wanting multiple RBs to suit specific purposes I would argue, provided he can stay healthy, Reggie should be considered one of the better RBs in the league that fit that mold.

He makes a good point? That he is willing to compare Bush to one of the great RBs in NFL history only shows how appalling his lack of knowledge is. Bush has value in an offense, no doubt. But as a RB, he can't carry Marshall's jock.

He makes a good point? That he is willing to compare Bush to one of the great RBs in NFL history only shows how appalling his lack of knowledge is. Bush has value in an offense, no doubt. But as a RB, he can't carry Marshall's jock.

I knew you couldn't resist. Be honest, how many times did you hit the thread before finally giving in? :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

I knew you couldn't resist. Be honest, how many times did you hit the thread before finally giving in? :wacko:

You post nonsense like this and then don't expect people to respond? You do understand how a message board works, correct?

You post nonsense like this and then don't expect people to respond? You do understand how a message board works, correct?

I fully expected you to react as soon as I read it myself. Why do you think I posted it in the first place? :wacko:

Honestly, comparing Bush with Faulk at this point in Bush's career is just plain silliness, even I'll admit to that. As of right now the only thing I really share with the writer is the hopeful optimism that Bush can have the same type of breakout that Faulk did and take comfort in the fact that some of their stats mirror each others in their first few seasons. If you'd seen my response to Keg in his Historical Data thread you'd see I don't put much stock in that sorta thing.

I fully expected you to react as soon as I read it myself. Why do you think I posted it in the first place? :D

:D I love you, man!

Honestly, comparing Bush with Faulk at this point in Bush's career is just plain silliness, even I'll admit to that.

It's nice to see that you have progressed to step 7. 6 more to go. :wacko:

Seriously, though. Bush is definitely an asset on offense. But what he isn't, and he he likely won't ever be, is the uber-stud that he was projected by many to be before the draft. There are a lot of people with egg on their face because they denegrated HOU so badly for passing on him and taking Mario. So they feel the need to continue to perpetuate the ridiculous comparisons with players like Faulk. He won't stack up. That doesn't mean he isn't a valuable weapon in their O. He clearly is, but he is limited as to what he can and can't do. That's okay, you acknowledge his shortcomings, and you build around that (ie - Pierre Thomas as a running mate).

I would buy into this to some extent if I EVER saw Reggie straight up break a tackle. You know, lower his shoulder at the point of contact and knock somebody on their ass! No the punter on a punt return doesn't count!

The fact that Reggie goes down so easily on first contact will always piss me off.

Edited by tbimm

Just completely different players. Bush is much more dangerous as a return man, and much more dangerous when lining up in the slot or out wide. Ultimately the only way to compare these two is through winning percentage and championships. If Bush can make big plays to get his team into the playoffs, and then help them ultimately win playoff games and possibly championshps, there is no way you can label him a bust. As valuable as Marshall? Marshall is one of the most valuable players to his team in the history of the NFL, so I don't think it is fair to ask Bush or any player to live up to those standards. I think Bush can be a difference maker. Not Marshall, but who is?

I would buy into this to some extent if I EVER saw Reggie straight up break a tackle. You know, lower his shoulder at the point of contact and knock somebody on their ass! No the punter on a punt return doesn't count! :wacko:

The fact that Reggie goes down so easily on first contact will always piss me off.